lightest a-body??

-
I'm still trying to figure out how a longer wheel base dictates a heavier curb weight?!

This is for 67 up stuff, the stuff that accepts BBs without too much trouble.
The weight is not just in the longer wheelbase.The 111wb cars add about 3 inches of roof and floor between the suspension mounting points,over the 108 cars; then, longer overhangs as well. Anything going from the front to the back is also longer; like the driveshaft, the exhaust, the brake/vent lines,brake cables, rear side-glass.Plus heavier bumpers and nicer,heavier interiors..
And the111s often have 4 doors.
The 108wb cars have very short overhangs,and just 2 doors.
2dr Scamps are (Edit;may be) an oddity; they have a short front,a long rear, just 2 doors, and IIRC maybe a 110wb. EDIT:Someone here on FABO mentioned this.

Last edited:
lightest A body? I admit I didn't read ALL 4pages of this, BUT surely someone said the 60-2 Valiant and 62 Lancer!???????? lighest and Yes they are A bodies.

This is for 67 up stuff, the stuff that accepts BBs without too much trouble.
The weight is not just in the longer wheelbase.The 111wb cars add about 3 inches of roof and floor between the suspension mounting points,over the 108 cars; then, longer overhangs as well. Anything going from the front to the back is also longer; like the driveshaft, the exhaust, the brake/vent lines,brake cables, rear side-glass.Plus heavier bumpers and nicer,heavier interiors..
And the111s often have 4 doors.
The 108wb cars have very short overhangs,and just 2 doors.
2dr Scamps are an oddity; they have a short front,a long rear, just 2 doors, and IIRC maybe a 110wb.
I`M WONDERING ABOUT THE FIRST YEAR SCAMP TOO. A FRIEND HAD ONE, AND IT WAS VERY LITE.

I didn't even know about the Short wb 2door-Scamps until a few weeks ago when it came up in conversation here on FABO. I think it was in a driveshaft discussion.I have not verified that information.

Longer wheelbase doesn't necessarily mean the car is gonna be heavier. Overall dimensions are not dictated by wheelbase.

lightest A body? I admit I didn't read ALL 4pages of this, BUT surely someone said the 60-2 Valiant and 62 Lancer!???????? lighest and Yes they are A bodies.
yes SHORT wheelbase, 106?? don't get the roadtoad confused with its look alike brother the 62 B bodies. and yes they are the shortest and lightest of the B bodies. remember where the 413 stage 1 max wedge started?? it took names and kicked every ***.

i been thinking. my favorite a-body is the '68 dart hrdtop(non post) but i want to build a super light car. so what is the lightest a-body? i know there is the dart light and stuff but like normal lightest. lol also what can you do to lighten them up? i was thinking glass panels and hood etc. and maby aluminum block, heads, tranny all tht but what else? it will be a street car or i would just strip it. im just curious lol

The shipping weight of my 65 Valiant 100 2 door sedan was 2660 which NHRA used to place in F/S in 1966

The lightest and strongest 67-76 body was the 67-9 Valiant at I think 2800 or 2850# stripped down with a slant.

the net gave me this weight for a 62 2 door Lancer 2495# ()... curb weight. I admit the Valiant just mentioned is a better and stronger car, but lighter??? I doubt it. I persosnally would love early Val, I like m Toad too

Remember, Darts are 3 inches longer than Valiants and Barracudas, so they will always be heavier. Barracuda fastbacks have the heavy glass (especially the early ones), so they will be heavier than the contemporary Valiant as well. And 63-66 will be much lighter than 67-up for all body styles. 4 doors are heavier than 2 doors. So the winner is, early Valiant 2-dr.

2,635 lbs. for a 60-62 Valiant V-200. That's gotta be the lightest(?)

Maybe some day I'll take my '62 to the strip and get some time slips.
Valiant wiring.jpg

2,635 lbs. for a 60-62 Valiant V-200. That's gotta be the lightest(?)

Maybe some day I'll take my '62 to the strip and get some time slips.View attachment 1715039741
I STILL argue the lightest are the 60-62 Valiant and 62 Lancer.

there is a U tube of naturally aspired slant Lancer running at Mo Kan in Mo outrunning a hellcat 3 for 3 and time was what 10 seconds Yes that is 1/4 mi.... but it is a race prepped car and was not cheap to build no doubt, but shows what can be done?????

-
Back