Like a bad ballast resistor... but not.

-

xander18

Reaction score
My 1972 Plymouth Duster, slant six 225, is acting like it has a bad ballast resistor. I turn the key, it turns over and wants to run, but as soon as I turn it back it dies. So I replace the ballast resistor, because that's what it sounds like, but it keeps doing the same thing. Shorting across the resistor doesn't do it either.

Where's the switch/relay that jumps it to 12v for starting and back down through the ballast resistor for 6v running? Do those go bad?
Thanks
xander

There is no relay, it's all in the ignition switch. There is a start circuit and a run circuit from the switch. You'll have to get your volt meter out and learn how to use it if you don't already.

Don't have one with me, but I can find one. I've never had an ignition switch go bad, though.

Yeah, I got one of those. I'm just at college right now, don't have all my tools with me. Has anyone had an ignition relay (the component mounted to the inner fender well right behind the battery) go bad?

Yeah, I got one of those. I'm just at college right now, don't have all my tools with me. Has anyone had an ignition relay (the component mounted to the inner fender well right behind the battery) go bad?

yes, but but it sounds like your problem is in the switch. The switch tells that relay to turn the starter over. If the engine turns it's not the starter relay. Start with the switch. Make sure you have igniiton 1 and 2

the start relay engages the starter. Its working and that much of your ignition switch is working too. A test light should show when the power is there and when its not. Ignition switches do go bad. Their harness connector connections can be bad also .

I had to replace my ignition switch for the same reason. I would say that it is a 80%-90% switch issue.

have had the same problem with my 73 340 duster, i too thought it was ballast resistor...after troubleshooting it was the bulkhead connector....

it would start..and immediately die...would not run..

yeah, I wound up just wiring past the ignition switch with a toggle that's currently hung on my shifter :) so it's somewhere in the ignition switch or wiring, I have a spare switch at home. 70aarcuda, did you get new bulkhead connectors? or just clean up your old ones?

-
Back