Limits of an Edelbrock performer and 1405 600cfm carb

-

alpha13

Reaction score
Basically I've got a 318 I'm gonna build with magnum heads and the limiting factor is an Edelbrock 600 and a regular performer. What I want to know is, how much power can you make with this intake and carb without doing anything exotic, and without going over the point to where the carb and intake are.choking the engine. I know an RPM and 750 carb will make more power. I just was curious as to the limits of these two put together. This engine will probably end up in a daily driven Volare or valiant. I've seen shootouts of the Edelbrock performer series intakes but they were all on hopped up chevys and the regular performer was definitely choking their engine.

If you keep your cam lift around .525" you will probably be in the 325 HP range. Magnum heads will help a lot. You will need new pushrods.

The intake and carb are not the "choke point" unless the cam, heads and exhaust have been upgraded and modified. Just think of an engine for what it really is, an airpump. Look at the carb, intake, heads, exhaust as a funnel. Where ever the flow is restricted is where the funnel narrows down. Improve one are and the funnel narrows somewhere else. That is why just replacing the carb and intake manifold doesn't really open up the engines flow/power until you improve the cam, head valve size,port work, exhaust headers etc. Edelbrock sells a top end kit which does just that. Just add headers.

Also consider the cubic inch of the motor. A 600 will serve a 318 better than it will, say, a 408 even if they have the same cam, heads, and compression.

Your fine man. Run it. I do recommend a wide-band 02 to get that sucker TUNED boy!

If this carb and intake aren't the limiting factor then why would you want to put a bigger carb and an Edelbrock RPM on it?

I just read a thread on this site about 360 2 barrel manifolds are faster than the Edelbrock performer?? Wtf?

It all depends on the combo of parts and usage. In a light car like you mentioned, an Edelbrock 600 and Perf manifold, when combined with Magnum heads(an upgrade on LA), and a sensible cam around .525" lift will get you 325 HP even with factory logs. It will be fun street engine that will be a good daily driver.

If you havent "built" the 318 yet, consider using a 5.2 instead as they are super cheap and work great, have roller cam etc.

gasket matching will help the performer other than that I don't see any reason to up grade

It all depends on the combo of parts and usage. In a light car like you mentioned, an Edelbrock 600 and Perf manifold, when combined with Magnum heads(an upgrade on LA), and a sensible cam around .525" lift will get you 325 HP even with factory logs. It will be fun street engine that will be a good daily driver.

If you havent "built" the 318 yet, consider using a 5.2 instead as they are super cheap and work great, have roller cam etc.

I already have the 318 that's why I'm gonna use it. I've seen complete 5.2 engines but I don't want to spend more. Especially since a roller cam is pricey. I'm not going to leave the stock roller cam, I could but I feel like it would give too much away at the top. Also I don't plan on going over .500 inches of lift on the heads. The plan is basically this : pick a pair of magnums at the junk yard. Check for cracks,Check out the valves and lap them if they need it and that's pretty much it. I don't want to do any machine work to them aside from a quick pass on the mill to true them. I was under the impression that magnum heads only accept .500 inches of lift stock. Of course you always have to measure. I'm gonna use the stock rotating assembly slap on some magnum heads, top it with the Edelbrock performer intake and 600 carb. And possibly use a cam in the range of .480 at the valve with the 1.6 rockers, with about 220 or so in [email protected]. I've got a 2300 stall and a 727 already sitting here. Full length headers and 2 1/2 duals and some thrush turbos. And then for the rear end probably some 3.55 gears. With a 26 inch tire. I will probably wind it up often but I want to be able to drive on the street and be able to tow if I have to. Considering putting this engine in my pickup with 3.23 gears and a 29 inch tire.

Your gonna have to change the bolt angle on the Magnum heads to work with the performer or switch intake manifold.

Yeah I know. I think I may have the manifold drilled to accept the magnum heads. I don't want to buy another intake. If I was gonna buy another intake I would probably get an RPM or equivalent.

I already have the 318 that's why I'm gonna use it. I've seen complete 5.2 engines but I don't want to spend more. Especially since a roller cam is pricey. I'm not going to leave the stock roller cam, I could but I feel like it would give too much away at the top. Also I don't plan on going over .500 inches of lift on the heads. The plan is basically this : pick a pair of magnums at the junk yard. Check for cracks,Check out the valves and lap them if they need it and that's pretty much it. I don't want to do any machine work to them aside from a quick pass on the mill to true them. I was under the impression that magnum heads only accept .500 inches of lift stock. Of course you always have to measure. I'm gonna use the stock rotating assembly slap on some magnum heads, top it with the Edelbrock performer intake and 600 carb. And possibly use a cam in the range of .480 at the valve with the 1.6 rockers, with about 220 or so in [email protected]. I've got a 2300 stall and a 727 already sitting here. Full length headers and 2 1/2 duals and some thrush turbos. And then for the rear end probably some 3.55 gears. With a 26 inch tire. I will probably wind it up often but I want to be able to drive on the street and be able to tow if I have to. Considering putting this engine in my pickup with 3.23 gears and a 29 inch tire.

Sounds like a solid plan, and should make some decent power. Not sure how much it is to have the manifold drilled, but if it is not much, then just run it. Not hard to upgrade intakes later if you really feel the need, and by then you can compare to see if there is real benefit.

Does anyone here have a parts dyno simulator? Now I'm curious as to what this combo might make. I'm hoping for about 370ft lbs and 340 hp assuming a compression ratio of almost 9:1

You should have no problem reaching your power goal

That should be about low 13s right? I mean, in a perfect world of course.

You really can't drill the intake for the Magnum heads, you have to drill and tap the heads for the LA intake.
I think your over estimating the power output. I would think 280 to 290 would be closer.
It would be hard to get a pickup truck to run 13's with a 318.

I ran a 223/110/.549 lift cam for a couple of years in a DD, at 10.7Scr(aluminum heads),in my 367. It was an awesome DD cam. With double O/D and a Holly 600, I was able to easily take it into the low 30 mpgsUS. And fry the tires, as a 2bbl. And went 12.9/106, the only one run I ever made; allbeit with a 750DP.

You really can't drill the intake for the Magnum heads, you have to drill and tap the heads for the LA intake.
I think your over estimating the power output. I would think 280 to 290 would be closer.
It would be hard to get a pickup truck to run 13's with a 318.

Well I'm not gonna a try to make the pickup run 13s lol. Maybe the valiant. So with a tab bit bigger cam with some more duration will that goal be more reasonable?

There are articles on the internet showing how to get 300 HP out of a stock bore 318.

sounds like 300 HP to me. It will be a fun driver but you wont be beating any modern muscle or run 13's. You probably wont beat my Audi A4, but its a sleeper....1.8L big block. :burnout:
If you want to break into the 13's, you will need some head work or stock EQ's, a cam in mid .500"s, better intake and injection or 750DP. You will also need to outfit the car with some sort of traction control, suspension mods to avoid wrap ,some different shocks for weight transfer and sticky tires, no necessarily slicks but better than street tires. To be safe you will want to target 450HP. 400 will do it if car is perfect, but better to shoot for 450.

The build you are talking should put you into high 14's with some chassis set up.

A stock magnum makes 300 gross hp he's exceeded those specs in every way.

A stock 318 long block with 4bbl headers and a XE262H cam makes 282 hp @ 5000 add 9.1 CR would probably hit 300 hp then add magnum heads add another 30-40 hp.

-
Back