Line locks

-

pyrojim

Reaction score
So, sounds funny, when I'm at a stand still and stab it, no problem. It will put you sideways. When I stand on the brakes and throw the gas to it, it dogs??? What gives I wonder? 1971 Dart, 360 built by Hamilton machine, 904 by Cope racing, 355 sure grip. New Willwood discs on the front. So, Line locks. Any one have a preference? The car is a three speed auto on the column. Where have you installed the switch??? Any help is appreciated.

I'd have to guess the rear brakes are holding enough to make it bog.
I'm also interested in the line lock.

i have mine set up with a toggle switch in the dash. pump then hold the brakes. hit the switch, let off the brakes and let her rip tater chip. then my hands are free to shift, or thumbs up out the window for photo op's.

DSCN0465_zps5d31553d.jpg

its the one on the far left.

I've used just about every one on the market over the years and they all do the same job. You can be very creative with switches.On a street car I've taken out the cigar lighter and put a pushbutton in the ash tray(Early A's+B's) One guy I know wanted to be stealthy and installed a 2-way switch and used the horn as his button.

i have seen it done with the high beam switch on the floor too. i just ordered the summit brand kit. was pretty easy to install.

I like it better on the shifter and make it easy if you automatic needs to **** up a gear in the water box. Also had it on the steering wheel when I had a Lenco trans in my Road Runner car

i have seen it done with the high beam switch on the floor too. i just ordered the summit brand kit. was pretty easy to install.

May work for an automatic. I don't think the high beam switch is precise enough for actual racing. (You know on a drag strip with a Christmas tree trying to cut a good light?)

Manual trans, your left foot is occupied with the clutch anyway.

As I recall, the Hurst Line-loc was originally for holding a stick shift car on the line so you wouldn't roll out of the beams and red light. Never quite understood what the thrill is of doing a burn out on the street just for show. :burnout:But OK.

What's wrong with the switch that comes with the kit being attached to the stick, whether auto or manual? Other than it's visible.

Right foot on the accelerator, left foot on the clutch, left hand on the wheel, right hand on the shifter, finger on the momentary push-button switch below (or in) the knob. Just move your finger when you pop the clutch.

I built a momentary contact switch into a short piece of PVC tube 1" diameter. Then wired it into the switch and included a three foot long extra wire to allow me to stow it under the front seat. Then to use it, I pull it out and switch it with my left hand.

I've found it invaluable in gymkhanas,, going into a hairpin, hold the lineloc, tap the brake, punch-it, pirouette on either front wheel, let go the loc, and away,.. also very good at spinning car into curb parking space, in the other direction, opposite side of the road,, conditions have to be right..

It's great just to hold the car at a stop lite, instead of a foot on the brake..

Switch on the shifter...

i have mine set up with a toggle switch in the dash. pump then hold the brakes. hit the switch, let off the brakes and let her rip tater chip. then my hands are free to shift, or thumbs up out the window for photo op's.

DSCN0465_zps5d31553d.jpg

its the one on the far left.

Lol, thanks younggun!!

Mine was set up down low on the dash by my left knee. I didn't install it that way. Was like that when I got it. But mine seems to work differently than others. This one you have to hit the switch and then it blocks fluid flow to the rear brakes. So you still are stomping on the brakes when you do a burn out, but only fluid goes to the front brakes. If you mess up and do that backwards (hit the brakes first and then hit the switch), then you've just put the parking brakes on! It would be useless on a 4 speed car. So take into consideration the type of line lock you're getting.

Wow, I've installed many line-locs,, .. non of them ever worked like that,... but I suppose that'd work,, good for rally guys..

-
Back