List The Mopars You Missed Out On...

-
Shopping for my first car in 1976, I had my eye on a Charger R/T. Dark blue, fat tires, 4 speed and at 17 years old it was THE coolest car I had ever seen. Mom said NO! not only that but H3!! NO! over her dead body would she let me buy that race car.

The second one I actually had my hands on and in my possesion, 1970 slant six Barracuda Ghia I traded my 67 Chevy P/U for. The Ahole didn't have a title and ended up screwing up the paper work on my truck in the process. I saw it again a few years later in the salvage yard.

I was sitting at Griff's Burger in Arvada, flipping through a Thrifty Nickel, so this was 1998 or so.

Nothing usually comes up for sale in tiny classified ads like that, except for one car ad that read this;

1969 Dodge Charger
1 owner, $300.

Please call #####

I end up in 5 points. I go back to the alley garage that it's in and this 60 year old black lady as sweet as can be, greets me after we had spoken over the phone, told me her son wrapped it around a phone pole after he didn't set the drums up on a brake job, 20 years prior.

The car had everything and looked to be a White Hat Special. B7 blue, white interior, white top.

I give her son the cash we had ($120) and told her we'd be back from an ATM with the rest.

I come back and there is a wrecker there. I told them that was nice, but they didn't have to call a truck, they tell me it's sold to that gentleman over there. Point in the direction of two jerks who had overheard my conversation at Griff's and purchased the car, out from under me for a demo derby, even though I gave her money (she did give it back). I knew the car had a hit, but after inspection, it just needed a hood, grille, bumper and valance. It didn't pull the fenders or even come into the radiator support. This was when there were no aftermarket parts for these cars, but chasing stuff in Hemmings wasn't a big deal.

My parts car in the garage also cost me an opportunity on a '71 Demon 340 4spd in Lemon Twist for $300 in 2000.

Father/ Son project that the son bailed on, 200mi on the restored drivetrain. car was jambed, came with the rest of the Sikkens base/ clear, boxes of Stockton Wheel rallyes with new tires, boxes of Legendary interior and Year One parts... Just needed finished.

That's what happens when you live with your folks.

In 1978 I went to look at a 1974 yellow 360 Dart sport 4 speed with a black dual snorkel hood Black interior and cragers all around it only had 38k miles,they were asking 1800, my mom and dad said sleep on it and give them a call the next day, if I wanted to buy the car. I called 7 am the next morning, it was SOLD !! I never got over it, Today I have a 360 Green Dart sport 360, black interior, dual snorkel hood that I had to build myself and needless to say it cost way over $1800

Here it is in 1968........

The 1966 Dodge Coronet 500 '426 Street Hemi' 4-Speed - classed in SS/D

Staging Lanes at Dover Drag Strip.......
* The Coronet is directly in front of my mother's 1967 Barracuda 'Fastback' - '273 Commando' which was
classed in J/Stock.

file.php

Next time, make an offer on a shake and a movie. Take the biggest car to the drive-in and you may end up with the girl and the car. Win/ Win.

That photo is priceless, by the way.

Dave,

The girl who bought that 1966 Coronet 500 426 Hemi 4-Speed 'new' was named 'Patsy'.

She was about 22 or 23 at the time, and stood all of 5' 2" and 110 lbs. pounding a
4-Speed Street Hemi in SS/D in 1968.

And my mother, also at 5' 2" and 110 lbs. power-shifting a 4-Speed Barracuda J/Stock.

Not too many 'small women' doing that.

My Mother used to say real Drag Racers run 4-Speeds, and men who drive Automatics wear 'aprons'.

*Missed out in 1999 on a '73 Cuda 340 4 speed. Orange with white interior. Could have traded a Polaris 4 wheeler for it. Was gone before the deal got done...

Too many other ones to list but nothing super valuable. I did find a '70 Charger 500SE in 2007 for $600 with a mostly gutted interior and no drivetrain. I bought that one and still have it...

Around the late 80's went back home to Puerto Rico for vacation I met and older guy that knew my Pops. He was the first owner of a 71 383 sassy grass green black top cuda. I asked if he wanted to sell it he said sure $7,000. I did't have that much then but next summer I came back he wanted $11,000. Had to let it go. Never saw it again.

And there is the time in 93 when a friend of mine had this nice 70 lime green RR 440 6 pack 4 speed his wife hated. He offered it to me for $8000 at Norwalk rackway. Like an dumb *ss I waited thinking on it and it sold half hour later.

Dave,

The girl who bought that 1966 Coronet 500 426 Hemi 4-Speed 'new' was named 'Patsy'.

She was about 22 or 23 at the time, and stood all of 5' 2" and 110 lbs. pounding a
4-Speed Street Hemi in SS/D in 1968.

And my mother, also at 5' 2" and 110 lbs. power-shifting a 4-Speed Barracuda J/Stock.

Not too many 'small women' doing that.

My Mother used to say real Drag Racers run 4-Speeds, and men who drive Automatics wear 'aprons'.

My kind of girl. Your mom knew how to raise you.

My lady, who is 5'6'", tiny as can be, specifically requested a pistol grip. It's in the works right now. I offered to help her buy a new car when she needed something a few years ago. She wanted a snot green mopar with a stick. The answer is always yes.

In 1974 I was offered a 64 factory aluminum nosed Polara for 50.00. I thought at the time it was the ugliest car I'd ever seen! That was the first stupid thing I did when i didn't buy it. Another time a guy came into the shop with a complete 440 6 pack set up including the air cleaner for 50.00. Yup I didn't buy that one either.

I should,ve bought MadDarts(Louis) 70 Dart with 410sb and 4 spedd.A member here has it now(Vitamin C ??)and is doing a beautiful resto on it.Still kicking myself on that one.:banghead:

70 black on black Hemi Cuda on Queens Blvd in Queens Village NY $4,000.00
to much Money for a 4 year old car. Besides that I had just purchased a 1974 Duster new for a whopping sum of $4,800.00. Won't bore you about the 69 Road Runner and the 70 440 Challenger.

Dave B,

My father had to mount a 2" x 4" wood block with a rubber skid-grip
to the clutch-pedal for my mother to shift and depress the pedal properly.

And she wouldn't wear the seat belt............

it was the 1st yr the mopar nats were in indy 95 or 96 not sure but in the car corral there was a 70 Plymouth superbird for 2000 bucks there wasn't much left of it, but all the superbird parts were there. the 440 and trans was long gone it was plum crazy and rust.
then around 2000-2001 when I was doing deliveries for rooms to go just on the outskirts of raliegh nc. I did a delivery to a nice old lady which had a 68 coronet R/T 426 hemi 4spd dana car it was parked beside her shed since 76 with a blown head gasket. her husband was in the process of fixing it when he was killed in a car wreck on the way to the parts store to get the head gaskets. the coronet was bronze with a black vynil top, black bumblebee stripe covered in pine needles. the motor was torn apart and half in the trunk. she said she wasn't interested in selling but she did take my number just incase she changed her mind.

1966 Hemi Satellite 11 000 miles, shag carpet and a funny steering wheel $7000. Dam!
1963 Max wedge Polara 50000 miles spun bearing mostly original, $2500. Crap!
1970 Challenger RT SE, Hemi Orange 383 automatic 50000 miles, $3500. Ok I am an Idiot!
1966 HP2 sedan, Hemi 4 speed, fully restored, $7500. I lay awake at night over this one.
1970 Hemi Cuda, automatic sitting in a guys back yard 29000 miles, says he will take $10000. He still has it. His retirement plan.

The memories are free and take up no storage.

If memory serves....one was a early to mid (maybe a 62 or 64) Red Chevy Impala 2 door that had been restored and had a 350 under the hood and 3 speed floor shifter. It was very cool, but me at 17, Dad thought it was not the right "1st" car for me....and he was probably right.

The second one was about a year later when my dad offered to help me buy my 1st car. The short list was a Le Car (got dismissed pretty quick by me), a 36 Plymouth with suicide doors, and a 78 Plymouth Fury. I ended up with the Fury which was probably the best choice for me at the time. In retrospect, the 36 would have been cooler, but I knew very little about cars back then and wouldn't have known what to do with it.

In 1987 I came this -> <- close to closing the deal on a 71 hemi challenger for $5k. At the last moment my father vetoed my decision on account of "you'll spend half your life keeping that thing tuned up". The 69 chevy nova I got instead was decent wheels but it was no challenger. -LY

1973 I was looking for a good low mileage piece of muscle and I happened upon a 71 Duster Sassy Grass, 340 callout on the hood, spoiler, 4 speed with 3:91's and only 9k on the odometer. $2200. Oh yeah!
Well dad wouldn't co-sign for the loan because it was a 4 speed because mom couldn't drive it if she needed to as we were a one car family. Told my friend about it while I was still working my dad for permission. Friend bought it from under me. This was the first screwing he gave me. It was fast and sweet looking.
My friend had it until 1981 when he finally decided to sell it. Told him I wanted it and to give me first option to buy. He didn't and sold it to some kid who proceeded to blow the motor and after replacing the motor put it through a wire fence and smack center into a large tree.
End of story as I haven't spoken to the guy since that time.

1986 - I was one year out of high school and had a 71 Barrucuda hardtop I put a 440 in, and had just picked up a 71 Barracuda ragtop and dropped a 340 in it.... That's when a 64 Sport Fury ragtop, 426 wedge, 4spd car found me - body was straight, interior was complete but worn, top was torn/cut and a baseball bathad met the windshield. I begged mom and dad to spot me the 1800 bucks and offered to sellthe hardtop B'cuda.... Dad said there was no way I could build 2 ragtops at the same time.....

1999 - Actually owned this one for a very short time - 1946 International Pick-up. Was going to rat-rod it before rat-rod was popular. Had ann 85 Diplomat cop car k-frame from hub-to-hub and complete driveline to go put under it. Original owner gave me my Fury, so I dumped the truck.

2002 (i think thatwas the year) - Carlisle's Chrysler show - 69 Coronet R/T ragtop. Complete, red with black interior, needing full restoration - guy wanted $3k. I was in the finishing stages of my 69 Fury ragtop and just didn't have room for it with everything else going on at home.

in 97 a guy i knew was selling his 440-6 70 or 71 cuda cant remember plum crazy black and white hounds tooth orignal paint not a scratch at that time i was told it was the only canadian car featured in hot rod mag it had a 383 but he had the orignal 440 with the 6 pak it came with it. someone had the whole bottom of the car chromed when it was new he wanted 15000 i had the money to so i phoned him back two weeks later and he sold it for 13500. i seen it for sale a few years ago for 85000 you snooze you loose still kickin my *** on that one

The Hits Just Keep Coming

May 1976

* 1970 AAR 'Cuda ~ 340 '3 x 2 Barrel' ~ 4-Speed ~ Color; "FF4" Lime-Green Metallic
* {1 of 2724 Built}

Peekskill, New York

For nearly 4 years I drove by this 2-Car Garage at least 3-Times a week, and both Garage Doors
were always closed.

Every once in awhile I would see a Mopar Musclecar parked in front of the Garage, but I never saw
the doors pulled open.

One-day the left side Garage Door was opened about 1-Foot, and off the tracks jammed.

As I drove by slowly with my car, I took a peak - and it looked like a 1970 or 1971 Barracuda with the front
tires completely flat.

Foolishly, I did not attempt to go up to the owners house and knock on the front door to find out about the car.

One day I was talking to my friend (Chevy Owner), and I told him about the Barracuda, and that I was
wondering if it was a Performance Model (ie; 340 or 383}

He said, he drove by the Garage recently, and he saw the Garage Door Open. He said he saw the car, and
it was a 'nothing' special Barracuda, just a basic ugly light green Barracuda with flat tires, and it was missing
the hood as well.

He told me, "Don't waste your time. If it was worth anything, somebody would have bought it already."

About a Month later, one my High School Buddies comes into my fathers shop and starts to ask him questions
about the 340 '3 x 2' Barrel, and if an AAR is a 'special car'.

My Father asked him if he owned one, and my Buddy says. "Yep, I just bought it."

Yep,,,,,,,,,he bought it for $1500 and didn't even know what he bought. The AAR was sitting for nearly 4-Years,
and only had 11,000 Miles on the Odometer.

And the Fiberglass-Hood was sitting in the Garage, behind the car on a bench.

Never Let A Chevy Friend Look At A Mopar For You...........

I missed out on about 3 that I can remember......pretty bad miss-outs, I think ya'll will agree.

#1--1970 red AAR cuda, totally restored, non-console car and if I remember correctly, it didn't have rally gauges. I saw this car probably around 1989 or 1990. $5500. Dude lost his storage and didn't want it sitting outside. Me and my friend (who was there with me) still talk about how stupid we were for not at least going in together on it. Unbelievable.

#2--1969 Hemi Road Runner, column automatic burgundy car, totally mint original with dog dish hubcaps. This was around 1979 or so......$3500. He gave me and a friend a ride in it. Crazy bad-***. I watched the factory in-dash tach "wing up" so fast, it looked like it went to 8K!

#3--Saw for sale a 1970 Charger body only, no drivetrain....orange, for $3500. This was around 1988 or 1989. But it had the little "Hemi" emblems on the doors. I didn't think too much about those emblems until after the car was gone......then there was some pondering and regret.

I do not even want to think about it.I have found of rare Mopar muscle over the years that I could have bought.But I never had the money at the right time.

1. 1969 M-code FB Cuda in red. Needed restoring, but wasn't bad.

During 1998-99 I was traveling a lot between Syracuse, NY and central Indiana. As usual, I was in a hurry to get to Indiana, or back home in Syracuse. I had noticed a car sitting in the weeds, under a tree beside a house in mid-Ohio several times but didn't pay much attention. One day, I looked a little closer as I passed by and thought it resembled a 2nd Gen Barracuda fastback. I said to myself, I will stop on the way back home, which I did (a week later).Sure enough, it was a red, M-code fastback, with weeds growing up all around it. Went to the door and the lady said it was her sons, and gave me his phone #. Called for two weeks, and never could get an answer. Finally a woman answered, and when I started to tell her why I called, she said "are you calling about the Cuda? It's already sold." :-( My heart sank. If I had stopped sooner, maybe, just maybe...

2. 2001, 1970 Roadrunner 440 auto with air-grabber hood in F7 (?) green. Guy had just finished the car and it was sharp, great paint and straight as an arrow. It really was a mint car, but I guess he was ready to move on to another project. Wanted $8k for it and I pussy-footed around until it was gone.

Those are the two most painful ones for me.

I'll throw another out there. In the mid '70s I had a '69 Super Bee. It had belonged to a neighbor's son who had traded it off to an older guy who was a country car trader. Anyway the son's Dad was also a country car jock and would sometimes come up with something kind of special. A friend (whose Dad was a Rambler guy!) was wanting to buy a car (his first) so we went to check out a couple this neighbor had. Now my friend was kind of like his Dad, not really a car guy, but one car caught his eye, a '70 Charger. Not just any '70 Charger, though...a bright yellow R/T! Yep, his first car was a rust free original paint 440 4 bbl yellow '70 Charger R/T that he gave a whopping $700 for! He punched it on the test drive and scared both of us when it turned completely sideways. :burnout:
Sadly, he didn't keep it long as the fuel economy didn't measure up the the Ramblers he was used to. I always wondered what happened to that car. :banghead:
Dallas

-
Back