Lithium ion vs Air

-

michformulaS

Reaction score
So I have my garage finally set up with 220V and ready to buy a good compressor but then started to think should I buy the compressor or invest in battery power? It seems the impacts, ratchets and drivers are all going battery power. For the $500 to $1000 I was saving for a good compressor I would think I could get some awesome electric tools that I just plug in. What do you guys think? Who makes the good electric tools? I do have some decent Craftsman and Ingersoll Rand air tools that I have been running with a single stage 20 year old Craftsman compressor (20 gallon tank I think?)...It has served me well for what it is.

I tell you what. I never thought I would say this. I have a Hitachi 1/4 impact driver. I forget what voltage. But it's li-ion. That thing is total badassary. I love it. Best cordless tool I ever had. I can leave it months at a time and it's still just as charged.

You will always need air. Sanding, grinding, sandblasting all need air. Air ratchets have more power than battery powered ones. Air impacts will hammer for years after the cordless ones have died. Mix you air tools with handy cordless tools for the best of both worlds. toolmanmike

i agree to mix em, there are some things that cant be done as well without air. I do have several battery powered tools from snap on and craftsman that I use a lot and really like, they are very handy but not as strong as air.

All true. But sometimes cordless stuff is so convenient. I just did the little Buick Century front clip and airbags not long ago. I tore that whole thing apart with my 1/4" Hitachi impact driver and 1/4 drive sockets and bit set. Draggin around an air hose wouldda sucked.

I think to have both options is best. But like Rusty says going cordless is T&A. Buy a good one at the start. If you go cheap you'll likely be soured on cordless. And if it doesn't meet your expectations, just take it back.
I just hate changing flats on the interstates with four ways and breaker bars.
I take my 1/2" Dewalt cordless impact anywhere I tow the boat. Seems stronger then the Jegs or Craftsman impact. I gave the Jegs to my "bow tie" brother.

Can't paint with a battery. In my experience, an air tool will weigh less than its battery operated counterpart. Unless there is a battery operated tool "system" out there, the shop is going to be cluttered with power taps and battery chargers of every description.

Can't beat a good battery powered tool for convenience. I took a battery powered Dewalt reciprocating saw into a salvage yard once and finished a half hour hand tool job in under five minutes. I could have had air in the yard, but then I would have need to drag 250 ft. of air hose to the job.

I have variable speed drill motors in air, AC cord, and DC battery form. I like the air drill for its light weight. The AC cord drill is a torque monster that takes a lot to bog it down. I like the battery tools for being able to grab and go without a plug in (hose or cord) hassle.

I have both. I can't imagine being able to do relatively fast and easy work without either of them.

For cordless, all you really need is a decent impact driver and drill, IMHO. If you shop around, you can get a decent set for little cash. I currently have a Ridgid impact driver and drill combo that I've been using for 3 or so years without a hiccup. I think I paid about $150 for it, on sale.

the 2 best cordless 1/2" impacts money can buy:

Ingersol Rand w7150

Milwaukee 2763.

I have the milwaukee I use for changing tires and other impact duty, it works phenomenally well.

visit the garage journal for the reviews on the two...im a big fan of the milwaukee FUEL cordless tools!

air tools and cordless tools have their place, I say buy both, you wont be disappointed.

the 2 best cordless 1/2" impacts money can buy:

Ingersol Rand w7150

Milwaukee 2763.

I have the milwaukee I use for changing tires and other impact duty, it works phenomenally well.

visit the garage journal for the reviews on the two...im a big fan of the milwaukee FUEL cordless tools!

air tools and cordless tools have their place, I say buy both, you wont be disappointed.

Agreed - the IR W7150 is an awesome impact. Relatively light with massive torque - it's a monster. Save your pennies, though, it's not cheap.

The OP mentioned he had a $500-$1000 tool budget. That impact will eat up about $450 of that, if you get the kit with 2 batteries.

-
Back