location for ignition box?

-

burrpenick

'69 Barracuda
Reaction score
When upgrading from points to electronic ignitions, I've seen the orange/gold boxes mounted everywhere- including under the dash. Is there a consensus on the best location? I was thinking heat may be a factor in longevity, so toward the front up closer to the grill openings or on the firewall? For the stock look, does mounting under the dash (longer wire) affect the performance of the unit?

When upgrading from points to electronic ignitions, I've seen the orange/gold boxes mounted everywhere- including under the dash. Is there a consensus on the best location? I was thinking heat may be a factor in longevity, so toward the front up closer to the grill openings or on the firewall? For the stock look, does mounting under the dash (longer wire) affect the performance of the unit?
I've seen a few a body barracudas mount on the fenderwell, so I did the same.
No averse effects and the wiring was plenty long enough.

20170308_155747.jpg

Go Pertonix and hide it inside the distributor IMO!

If you go Chrysler think about SB or BB and locate it near the dizzy away from heat as best you can.

Lots are choosing the GM route, in that case I say the trunk so you can't see it! JMO.

I mounted mine upside down on the horizontal panel under the dash when I converted my '66 Valiant to electronic in '74. I sandwiched an aluminum plate between the box and the panel to ensure a good long-term ground. I transferred the box (and the aluminum plate) to my '65 Barracuda in '77 when I transplanted the 340 from the Valiant to that car. It was still working great when I pulled everything out 2 years ago. I like keeping electronics as cool as possible!

I mounted my electronics inside on the passenger side of the firewall. To keep the MSD box cool and to keep clutter at a minimum under the hood.

My 68 Barracuda-8.jpg

Cool is important. Where ever it goes, the case HAS to be solidly grounded.

And no, there is no concensus on the location, except that it is a bad idea to put it in the trunk LOL

In the glove box. Get rid of the cardboard liner and you have a ton of space in there to hide all kinds of electronics. If you need storage space, use your trunk.

-
Back