loctite

-

SRT_DSTRHOLC

Reaction score
does it need to be used on the trust cam plate and the cam bolt?

I kind of dident, becasue I could have sworn some one on here said that I dident need it, but to use it on the flexplate bolts. And even if I dident is it that big of a problem, I mean the rod bolts are torqued almost the same without any ither

I did too. For peace of mind more than anything else. Blue loctite is sufficient, just be sure the bolts and holes are free of oil and dry.

I always use it on the flexplate bolts. As for the cam/thrust plate bolts I'm not 100% sure that you have to but I figured what could it hurt seeing as I had it sitting right there anyways.

well my motor is all buttoned up,so thats why im asking if its needed or not because if it is, I need to reorder some gaskets and re do alot of stuff

I do now, because some years ago, the cam sprocket bolt on my 383 loosened and the sprocket slipped a little.

Bottom line is I needed some new valves and pushrods. I got off very cheap on that one. If it was my car, I would disassemble it and put the loctite on.

ok just waiting for a few more people to say the same or what they have done because BJR has said he doesnt use any at all

all the bolts you put in were torqued to specs or itleast tightend????I wouldn't worry about it...I sure the heck wouldn;t take it all the way back aprt again just to put locktite on it......unless you can;t sleep at night..run it..it will be fine

If you used new bolts and torqued the bolts to spec, you don't need Loctite.

There is only one place I use Loctite (the red) and that's on the engine mount bolts otherwise the correct grade of bolt and a good torque wrench.

Terry

Count me with BJR. I use a little thread sealer on the intake bolts, and some Ultra Grey silicone in a few spots. No loctite needed.

really? cuz I have read the autozone service manuels online and says nothing about it.

I don`t know if it was a service manual or another publication (engine rebuild magazine?) but using it can`t hurt anything. Better to err on the safe side. As an example, just recently a member here got his 408 up and running. After a couple months of relatively moderate driving the fuel pump stopped pumping. It turned out the pump was fine but the cam bolt had come loose along with the fuel pump eccentric. Fortunately it was caught before anything came off and caused real trouble but this was a bolt just installed a couple months prior, torqued to spec, and without Loctite. The bolt was reinstalled with Loctite and torqued to spec. So far, so good. I think it`s more important with the one bolt cam than the three bolt version but again, it`s better to be safe than sorry.

ya, very true, I torqued everything to spec, I just dont want it come lose and cause havoc were I have to buy new stuff

I don`t know if it was a service manual or another publication (engine rebuild magazine?) but using it can`t hurt anything. Better to err on the safe side. As an example, just recently a member here got his 408 up and running. After a couple months of relatively moderate driving the fuel pump stopped pumping. It turned out the pump was fine but the cam bolt had come loose along with the fuel pump eccentric. Fortunately it was caught before anything came off and caused real trouble but this was a bolt just installed a couple months prior, torqued to spec, and without Loctite. The bolt was reinstalled with Loctite and torqued to spec. So far, so good. I think it`s more important with the one bolt cam than the three bolt version but again, it`s better to be safe than sorry.
I couldn't have said it better myself, i always use blue loctite on cam bolts, flywheel bolts, and torque converter or pressure plate bolts. I think it's extra insurance.
I don't think it's worth it to rip your engine apart to re do it though.....as long as it was all torqued properly. I guess time will tell!
just my 2 cents worth.:toothy10:
Tom.

ughhh if its only a few gaskets mabe ill just put a dab or two on, I dont have the money to fix something if something goes wrong, but I dont have the money for some gaskets

i didnt use it and the cam sprocket came loos. it was torqed properly. the good news is the moter just quit running because the fuel pump hump quit humping.

i took it apart but now theres another BIGGER problem will ...update

i didn't use any on my brothers 360 and its been fine, and that motor gets beat on pretty hard but it think it was used on my 340

I striped the crank snout like were the big bolt goes in, but Im having it fixed on monday

-
Back