Lokar KickDown

-

Payy

Reaction score
I am trying to attach the kickdown-wire on my 904 trans. with an Edelbrock 500 carb. I am wondering witch gear is the most ideal to use while I'm measuring and cutting outer housing. And adjusting the wire.

Shortly I need to know, step by step, how I install it, adjust it and cut it :)

Greetings from Payy

In park. This way, the car doesn't move as you hook up the wire on the trans lever, not the gear selector. 2 different levers.

Instructions are not included?

When you find the wire length, use tape at the cut point to wrap the wire up so it doesn't fray. Then cut, unwrap, instal into cable end.

I have allready attached it to the trans, and the mounting bracket for both throttle and kickdown is attached to the carburator.
The thing is that the kickdown-wire allready is to tight to hook on the throttle lever on the carburator, so I have to cut the housing, just to install it.
Then the throttle lever will travel further away and streching it even more.

So I was wondering how I am supposed to cut it and adjust it to work properly, and which gear it should be in when I cut and adjust it.

Please forgive my ignorance.

-Payy.

So I was wondering how I am supposed to cut it and adjust it to work properly, and which gear it should be in when I cut and adjust it.
AGAIN, your GEAR lever should be in PARK since your attaching NOTHING to it.

The rest of your post I just do not understand. The English is fine, it's descriptive wording is confusing.

Look through this thread of mine for a hint or actuall photo of what you need to do. Page #5, post #81 starts a set of pictures that may help. Then post #85 has under the car.
Pay no attention to the orange adapter bracket I made for the OE AVS carb. It still functyions the same as the adapter bracket from Edelbrock or Holley, just alot thinner.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=10508&page=5

Thanks for the help so far, I am sorry about my bad descriptions.
My problem is not attaching it, but adjusting it.
I have absolutely NO idea how to do it, and I am a little worried about burning up my trans if I do it wrong, and altso cutting to much of the cable, since the cable alone is about 215$ here in Norway :(

No, don't fint much help on their site, maybe I'll call the tech department.
Personally I like the cut-to-fit stuff, because if they where pre-cut they would most likely be cut wrong :p
But it really would not hurt to have the housing around the cable done before installing :S

I have allready attached it to the trans, and the mounting bracket for both throttle and kickdown is attached to the carburator.
The thing is that the kickdown-wire allready is to tight to hook on the throttle lever on the carburator, so I have to cut the housing, just to install it.
Then the throttle lever will travel further away and streching it even more.

Please forgive my ignorance.

-Payy.

you sure you have it hooked to the proper leaver? the kickdown really has nothing to do witht he gear leaver except that it is above it.

I did not personally install it, so I am absolutely not sure that it is hooked on correctly, but i think it is.
Is it not supposed to move when i move the shifter inside?

the leaver in this picture is for the shifter. the kickdown leaver slides over that smaller shaft sticking up in the picture. it moves independant from the shifter leaver.

100_1769.sized.jpg

Thanks for all the respons!
But if the shifter aint supposed to affect the wire at all, then it's obviously mounted wrong at the trans :S

But when i get it right down there, can I then just put in in park, and cut it so it's tight at full throttle?

You don't want to cut it tight at full throttle. You want the trans lever and the throttle at rest. They'll move togther. When you get the cable to the throttle and go to make the cut length, just pull the cable but not enuff to move the lever down below.

Once you have this general length done, you can adjust the cable through the end (Like in Joes picture above) at the throttle. There should be alittle tension there pulling the cable. This is needed to have the trans shift normally. Pay attention to when it shifts on it's own.

Glad it's starting to work for ya.

Hats off to AbodyJoe for postin pictures I didn't have and stuggled to describe. Thanks joe!

-
Back