Long story short

-

usdart

Reaction score
Replaced my Master Cyl with one from Orielly Auto Parts. Brakes went out on Freeway. Shop found faulty Master Cyl. Now Orielly is not wanting to pay for repairs.
Mechanic at shop wrote on the bill that the Master Cyl was faulty and installed correctly.

Orielly says I have to send the part back to the manufacturer and IF they agree they will pay for repairs.
Isn't that the fox guarding the hen house?

I don't have much faith in this process..After all I did not buy the part from the vendor they use. Seems unfair to me..whatcha think???

You probably just better off getting another MC and calling it a day. I have never heard of Orielly, Advance, AutoZone, paying for repairs of anykind... even if its their fault.

When I buy brake parts of any kind I go to NAPA.

Yup I don't think you will see one cent for repairs. Anytime I have a bad part your lucky to get it replaced let alone pay for any repairs. I'm betting it's in the fine print somewhere when you buy from them.

The customer sevice dept said they would go after the manufacturer for the labor..we will see how that goes.
Had a problem with Auto Zone a few years ago and they just paid me AND replaced the parts. We shall see?

Seems like now days the buck stops at the buyer!!! Guess you just got to remember who you do bizz with.kinda sucks
Moe

I don't get it. The O'Reillys I deal with wouldda chunked another one at me so quick I wouldn't seen it comin.

Where it was bought doesn't mean much. Which brand and quality grade does.
They know which suppliers will cover the return and which ones wont.
I stopped at Oreallys for a new alternator belt. Rather than state my choises the guy throws the elcheapo belt on the counter. I ask, "Do you have this in Gates brand ?" He says , "Sure but it will cost 3 times as much. This belt is 5.65" The Gates belt cost me over 14.00 even after a little haggling.

Chinaman company no credit your return. Chinaman company make only good part. LOL
Good luck

I don't understand this post. O'reilly will gladly give you another Master. Unless it's out of the warranty period. I've done it.

They have to help you; don't let the manager tell you otherwise; stuff like this calls for a labor claim they know this. They will give everybody the runaround because it comes out of the stores bottom line. So get the shop that you took your car to back you up as far as the assessment and estimate get it on paper and bypass the managers bull$hit and call O'Reilly's customer service; the store manager has to give it to you. If you have some patience it might take a little bit, but it will go through.

When the unit failed I was driving and had to turn into the first Mech shop I could find. At that time I was convinced I had another prob cause the Master was new.
Shop found the bad master and Orielly did not have another so they bought one from NAPA. I was not going to get another that would possibly fail while driving anyway. Why would I repeat my mistake? It could have been an accident and injury very easily.
This way the shop carries the warranty...

Not to sound like I'm not on your side, but O'Reilly's doesn't make the parts they sell. The warranty clearly states that the part is warranted, not labor. That is the chance you take when you 'do it yourself' or DIY. If it is done in a shop where you pay for labor, you get a warranty on the labor as well, since you paid for it. When we have a part that has failed, we replace it under warranty, send it to O'Reilly or wherever we bought it from and file a labor claim. They send the part to the manufacturer for inspection. When they determine it was a manufacturing defect, they credit some of the labor to the part store who in turn credit us. That O'Reilly is doing that for you, an individual customer rather than a shop is unusual, but nice of them to do. You are getting as much as they are able to do. Anything man made can fail, and many parts are installed incorrectly and fail. That is why the manufacturer wants the part - to be sure it was them and not the installer. Otherwise every backyard hack that screws something up would be returning the part they destroyed as defective, and we have all seen that happen. I see a lot of backyard hacks throwing parts at a car to try to fix something they have no idea how to diagnose, then return the part when it doesn't fix their problem. Sorry, but you can't use my parts to diagnose your car! Point is, you bought a part, not labor and they are actually trying to help you out.

Thanks Mopar toya.. good info.
My diagnosis was correct in this case. Orielly auto parts caters to the do it yourselfer so there should be some remedy for my case. The Certified Tech wrote on the bill that the master cyl I installed was correctly installed and that the part failed. In matters of safety there should be some liablity. I also am a 20 plus year customer so I have some credibility. The mechanic said 'I don't know how you drove it in here!'. I had no choice but to stop as soon as possible and get off the road. No time to dink around and go all the way back to the vendor and be told he did'nt have another one and be stuck with no way to get to work.

Don't get me wrong I wish you all the luck in the world at collecting what you are due but these companys today want to point there finger of fault overseas where most of our jobs went. Today the customer always seams to get stuck and the quality of rebuild
parts sucks in many cases.

The only way to force them to do better quality control is to prove the part is defective and follow through as far as you can. Always being kind but persistant.

Just get the new master from the store. That is all the "satisfaction" you will get. Toss it in the trash if it makes you feel better.

When I had a WIX filter come apart & take out the rod bearings, WIX sent me a new filter. Not even an apology. ONE new filter.

Just the way it is. Be glad you did not hit anybody, the finger pointing would be awful...

B.

Sorry..Not giving up like that. I at least want to try to make them do the right thing. If not, oh well,,,at least I tried, and found out what their values are.

hey i use to work for autozone... and i had same problem come up with a costumer i had. these stores CAN return "Defected" part... but cannot pay for any damages it might cause. they cannot tell if it was due to your negligence or the part itself. so the most they can do is return part and give you another one. watch for "limited lifetime warranties" play on words there...

i say return part (if you didnt buy in store) you might have to pay for shipping back to them. gl either way.

They are sending the part back to the manufacturer along with the report from the Shop and asking them to pay the labor.
I am satisfied with that, the part is obviously defective after only 30 miles and one week of use. It is leaking out the back seal and is still wet with fluid. Now we will see how honest the manufacturer is.

Thanks Mopar toya.. good info.
My diagnosis was correct in this case. Orielly auto parts caters to the do it yourselfer so there should be some remedy for my case. The Certified Tech wrote on the bill that the master cyl I installed was correctly installed and that the part failed. In matters of safety there should be some liablity. I also am a 20 plus year customer so I have some credibility. The mechanic said 'I don't know how you drove it in here!'. I had no choice but to stop as soon as possible and get off the road. No time to dink around and go all the way back to the vendor and be told he did'nt have another one and be stuck with no way to get to work.

I just reread some of the thread again. Just to be clear, they did exchange the part, didn't they? They just didn't pay for a labor claim, at least not yet? If they didn't give you a new part or a refund on the old part, that is wrong.

I had the same thing happen with a reman one that I bought from Shucks ( now Orielly) I sent it in and they said that I sent them a core.... I said look this is the one you sent me that I had a shop install and it was bad out of box, long story short I was out over 300 for the labor...... Not to mention the hassle.

This is back when they covered the labor too.

This was before I became a mechanic

Here is an update..recieved an email from the Store. My check is comong in the next 7-10 days!
Orielly Auto Parts has renewed my faith in them.

BIG THANKS to them for being HONEST and fair.

are they covering the price of the part or the labor to install it?
I have never heard of an auto part store covering labor!
if that is the case HOW DID YOU DO IT??????

Attachments

• 1911.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 185
They are covering labor.
Here is the letter I sent to them.
From: Kerr,David D - TFPV-FRANKLIN [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Monday, September 19, 2011 12:53 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Ethics from Cardone.com

Replaced my Master Cyl with one from Orielly Auto Parts. Brakes went out on Freeway. Shop found faulty Master Cyl. Now Orielly is not wanting to pay for repairs.
Mechanic at shop wrote on the bill that the Master Cyl was faulty and had been installed correctly.

Orielly says I have to send the part back to the manufacturer and IF they agree they will pay for repairs.
I have given the unit and a copy of the repair bill to 'Chuck' Asst Manager of Orielly Auto Parts in Richland Wa. I only took it to the shop because I was convinced I had another problem since the Master Cylinder was new and had worked for a couple of days. I went to the first open shop off the freeway and barely made it!
This is a 'heads up' that the part and paperwork should be on the way from the store where I was told to take it. The unit was leaking from the back seal and running down the firewall.
This is the first failure of one of your products in my 20 plus years of

-
Back