long term effects of unleaded gas

-

7duster4

Reaction score
Are there any serious long term effects with unleaded gas? I'm not too worried with my Duster since the engine is rebuilt but the 383 in my 65 300 is original. A couple times this summer I have used bottles of lead additive in the gas. Never had any issues but several years from now will things start to go wrong even if I still dump the bottles is my gas tank?

Thanks for any info

You may need to adjust the valves a little more often.

If you use the fuel additives and drive it easy, you shouldn't have any bad effects from the unleaded properties of the gasoline. If you run it without the additive, you'll get extra wear on the valve stems, guides, and seats. The other stuff in the gas is a different story. Our gas here in Ca is a special blend (supposedly for emission reasons) It's oxygenated and has some form of alcohol in it at various concentrations. Being oxygenated, it burns hotter and is hard on our old exhaust manifolds that weren't designed for that extra heat. (even the newer ones are having problems) The alcohol is hard on anything rubber from the gas cap seals to fuel pump diaphrams, to fuel hoses, etc. On an old original car I would use the fuel with the least amount of alcohol as possible.

I had a rebuilt 225 that I didnt put hard seats in, I ran all the lead additive crap n such...4 yrs later I pulled the head after numerous exhaust valve lash adjustments....the exhaust valve were sunk 1/4 or more....

lead additives dont work.

-
Back