LOOK!!! What not to give your son at 17

-
Thank you For sharing this with us,It made me a lil' sick to see the pic but maybe your story and the pic's will save some lives,I will show this to my son and although it is an older car and doesnt have all that new car so called safety I believe it was driver error to blame, a newer car would be in worse shape in the same situation

I agree with the big power. I had a 273 for the first couple years of driving anything more would have been bad in hindsight.

Part of growing up is respect. This includes respect for these Muscle cars and the power that they have. I personally would NEVER let any of my children drive the Duster until they were old enough to RESPECT the car. I know that there are a LOT of young kids who's parents buy them powerful cars as their 1st car and I would never do this to a young newly licensed driver. So sorry to hear of the loss of life as a result of this accident and to see a beautiful car wrecked, but this is a sober reminder as to how much inexperience mixed with powerful vehicles can lead to. Growing up, I saw my share of accidents involving teenagers driving cars that were way too powerful that ended up in deadly crashes. Granted you can be killed driving an everyday plain jane car but the likelyhood is vastly increased in a powerful muscle car with an inexperienced driver at the wheel. No need to post any additional pictures of any other accidents, these pictures tell the whole story.

some people tense up on they're 1st dose of real power, next thing u know..they are frozen white knuckling the wheel and stiff legging the gas pedal till they finally hit something big enough to stop.

Kids should not drive around in anything more 250 hp.jmo

My 17 year old has been dying to drive my car and this is a good example of why he's not going to. Thanks for posting!!

My 17 year old has been dying to drive my car and this is a good example of why he's not going to. Thanks for posting!!

I have had my car for 11 + years now and my oldest son was always trying to get me to let him drive it. No dice!!!! I ended up keeping my ignition keys hidden and put a club on the steering wheel and had an alarm installed in the event he was thinking of "taking the car for a ride" He never ended up doing so, but parents please remember that these shiny painted up Muscle cars are like candy to a young teenager looking to impress his/ her friends.Keep your children safe and keep the keys away from them. they are natuarally drawn to these cars.

Just had a few high school kids roll there truck into a drainage ditch down the street from me. Passenger killed (18yo) Driver hurt (17) 3rd pass hurt (17). Down a straight road went slightly off the road, hit the gravel and lost control. They Landed on the roof (about 10ft+ drop)... RIP....

We all have been that age and most of us just lucked out, I know I have.
Oh yea, not just the power that kills, but distractions..... CELL PHONES are just as dangerous as 600HP IMO! It is not where your hands are it is where your head is!!!!

A mechanic I know purposely set the cam one tooth off to keep the power down and after a couple years when his son turned 18 he told him what he had done and why and they tore it down set it straight up and it screamed.

My Brother in law survived a wreck like that, maybe worse damage.

He was in a dodge omni and got T boned by a transit bus on the drivers side.

It put the drivers door all the way to the passenger door and miraculously he survived but he had a massive brain injury which left him with alot of problems.

He has a great sense of humor and loves the extra perks and attention from the ladies.

when asked by people what happened to him, instead of going through the whole story he just say's 'I'm retarded" and laughs which makes them laugh too because they can see that he is not.

I f his Mom is with him, she tells them he was in a car accident.

I gotta share this.

I was pushing him in his wheelchair through an airport bar once because he wanted have a smoke in the bar so on the way out, as we wheeled past the bar he spots this gorgeous babe at the bar and decided to run his hand up her back, ...she yelped and looked devastated and her boyfriend and his buddy both stood up and they looked like professional studio wrestlers on gobs of steroids and looked like they were going to kill someone.
I immediately apologized and told them he has impulse issues and did not take his medication today, and they kinda calmed down and the girl said "It's okay, I forgive you" to him.
I was glad it did not get ugly, but this is just one of the crazy things he has done.

Dear Lord I pray for that poor boys soul. This is just tragic.

Where as I totally agree with the sentiments and feel for the families. I can't help that think that my first car was a 57 Ford 300 with a '68 428 Interceptor motor and my second was a 69 Charger with a 383 that soon gave way to a 440. I survived high school with those beasts. I won't let my daughter drive my Roadrunner, but it's my judgement call based on my evaluation of her abilities.

I think in the end, it's not the maturity or power of the car, but the maturity and power of the driver.....

This happened to a classmate of mine in 1969 in Cincinnati.
He and 2 of his buddies were coming back from a party one night and Kenny was driving drunk.
Running about 100, the road had a small dip in it. Just after the dip the road curved to the left. And there is a big tree.
After going thru the dip, the speed launched the car as the road turned left.
Check this site out. The car split in 2 at the firewall. The picture shows the car on display at the local fire dept 2 days later ... just before prom night.

http://www.carsinbarns.com/Mopars In Barns/pg67.html

I had a sweet *** Duster I was going to give my daughter, one owner with 29k miles. All it had was a /6 but I was going to stripe it and make it look like a 340 car for her. Wife said NO airbags, NO WAY! I agree with her now that this dam "texting" thing is becoming an epidemic, it is killing more kids than the cars we grew up with! They should learn to drive well before putting them behind the wheel of a quick car, but right now I'm more worried about those dam cell phones!

have to respect power.... first day i got my license my daily driver was a 71 383 roadrunner. but i also rode around with my dad in the 6 pack cuda and other cars for years and had respect for them

but before driving i rode fast 4 wheelers for years, dirtbikes, and 800cc snowmobile. also drove beater cars around fields and the woods.

some kids have it some dont... ive saw my buddys get mustangs, camaros or pickups and drive like fools... there a place to do it and a place not to. i never mess around with another person the car.. least if i wreck (not hitting another car) i only have me to worry about.

Where as I totally agree with the sentiments and feel for the families. I can't help that think that my first car was a 57 Ford 300 with a '68 428 Interceptor motor and my second was a 69 Charger with a 383 that soon gave way to a 440. I survived high school with those beasts. I won't let my daughter drive my Roadrunner, but it's my judgement call based on my evaluation of her abilities.

I think in the end, it's not the maturity or power of the car, but the maturity and power of the driver.....

I'll second that. My first car was a '69 Super Bee 440/727 and I've still got it. You've got to understand and respect the car. You've also got to know the limitations of the car and the limitations of your driving ability.

Sorry for your friends loss but..Its just plain common sense NOT to give something like that to a 17 yearold..

I'm in total agreement with handing any car to your kids with to much power. My daughters first ride was a 1985 short bed D-150 with a leaning tower of power. I taught her how to drive a carburated truck first so she would have that knowledge and the fact that her truck with the slant 6 didn't have enough power to pull a fat girl off a stool. She is now 29 and has never had a wreck or even a ticket! As a fireman I've seen to many wrecks involving young teenagers in way over powered vehicles. This is good advice for all members here with young kids and driving.

Wow... Thats very tragic.. I am sorry for the loss of life i this accident, and its a very graphic reality check for what can happen when you dont respect the car.. I too also agree that cell phones these days is just as bad... kids, cell phones, and powerfull old cars, equals many more deaths im opinion.. I just truly believe kids think nothing will happen to them.. and they cant be more wrong

This story and pictures is also a reminder of why my Dart has started with just a stock 360... let me back up.. even though I am 42, I didnt grow up around many muscle cars.. My parents always had 'family' rides, and my dad wasnt all that into cars.. pure transportation to him.. So by the time I learned to drive it was 84, cars were obviously differant and way lower on power, heavier on safety etc etc...I had no experience at all with horsepower...

when I was in my late 20's was when my now best friend Bob moved in next door.. with two 69 Roadrunners.. one of them being vitamin C orange.. I know it wasnt a Charger but it instantly reminded me of the General Lee and my love of the Dukes Of Hazzard when I was younger.. my interest in muscle cars, and my love for Mopar were born then..

Since then I have hung out with this crew, and have been learning ever since.. I got my Dart 5 years ago as a basket case... with a /6 and 276 gears.. once it was finally road worthy I drove it for a year with the /6 until I got used to the handling of an older car.. then came the 360 and 323 gears... I remember alot of our other friends busting my balls and asking Bob why were werent really muscling the Dart up.. 'big block' was the cry LOL... Bob always answered the same.. 'Bill has never owned or driven a V8 car, let alone had any real horsepower.. I refuse to help him build a car he will kill himself in.. We will go in stages, as he gets used to each level and learns how things feel and react, we move on from there if he wants..' .......

This story reminds me, he was right

I grew up driving those cars, they were all over our high school parking lots in the late 70's.

Kids get killed driving new cars too. Like last weekend two kids--17 and 22 died by rear endding a semi truck in a Ford Focus.

Happens all the time. They hit trains by trying to beat them, lose control by driving too fast--I done that, lol.

Tires are very important too, cost alot and people don't replace them often enough.

This is depressing, I got my car at 17, I am 20 now. My plan is to make it a track car someday. There really is no reason to drive one of these beast on the streets. Yeah they look cool and are fun, but not worth your life.

What if there isn't a track around?

You know you a good driver when some aswipe cuts you off and you just miss hitting it by taking the right actions...and you keep your cool after wards. Its not just if you don't get tickets, accidents. Oh sure the insurance companies like it and it sure can matter.

Its the speed that kills many. Notice he said the accident happen on the 2nd to 3rd shift, not 1st to 2nd. Its the roads also, we have great wide cement roads here, not everywhere but most the places I try to stick around with. That cheap Asphalt works good when its warm and dry outside but dry and cold it can be like a wet cement road.

Why does many cities plant trees next to the roadways, yeah looks pretty. Same with placing large rocks. The curbs should be built higher then but aren't.

Wow is all I can say.I had a friend loose it in a hopped up Duster in the early 90's.Long story short he was in a coma for 6 weeks or so.When he came out of the coma he was just a diiferent person.The wreck did damage to his brain and his personality was totally different.

Speed in any car can kill , especially with a young driver with little experience .Still see plenty of stories of young drivers being killed driving too fast in bad conditions , it's not so much the car as it is speed . Sad story for sure .
I plan on giving my son my 340 dart when he is 18 , if I see he is a competent responsible driver , and he has passed an advanced driving course . This post has me worried , will see how things go .
Then again got my first car at 15 , was a 340 dart , second was a 600HP 440 Ramcharger 4x4 , I made it , hope he will as well .

-
Back