Looking at a 72 barracuda

-

shadango

Reaction score
Hey folks....

I am headed out tomorrow to check out a 72 Barracuda....

It was a barn find that had no tranny or engine in it.....bought by a body shop and redone to the point it is at.

It has been recently redone body and undercarriage, stripped and repainted. They told me there is very little bondo in the car and that there was no major damage prior to them getting it. The trunk pan (main pan only) was replaced...they said floor pans look great.

Photos look good so far...had a small concern about a body line in one picture but decided that I have to see in person to see if it is a problem or not.....

Fresh paint that looks nice. Had some relatives local to the car check it out and they confirm it is very nice.

Interior has a console but interior needs redone.....has white/checked cloth buckets interior (front and rear seats match) that has seen better days and a VERY cracked dashpad (blue)...headliner is probably toast too.

There is a 74 engine with 15k on a stock rebuild in the car but it is not hooked up...was told it ran fine when it came out of the donor car, which was recieveing a big block transplant. It needs a radiator, starter and alternator but otherwise is complete, carb to headers to plug wires.

No tranny....but a used 73 727 tranny, crossmember and shaft come with it. Needs an exhaust.

New wheels/tires, new sidemarker lights, new trunk, door and igntion keysets, new vinyl top

It is priced at $9500.....

Here are some pics....

http://s349.photobucket.com/albums/q391/shadango_bucket/72 green cuda/?albumview=slideshow

Did 6 cylinder 72 Barracudas come with the console shifter? I forgot to get a VIN, but I dont really care if it was a 6 car or an 8 car I guess as long as it is right as far as suspension etc...By the looks of the car in the pics, the suspension is if anything stiff in the front.....although the tranny and bumper are not in it. Am I looking at saggy springs due to the mising tranny and front bumper, and radiator and alternator?

These cars didnt come with the 7.25 axle right? So it should have either the 8.25 or the 8.75, yes?

Am I nuts for thinking this could be a good find? Or is this overpriced?

I know its alot of cash for a car that isnt running.....at the beginning of my search I told myself that the only car I would consider buying that wasnt running was something like a 70-72 ebody or like a (real) roadrunner or "barn find" 340 Duster.....and this is a 72 Barracuda.....so I get a warm/fuzzy over it...LOL

An ebody has been my dream for awhile. So I suppose that plays into it. The same money would (I know) buy a decent non-matching 340 duster with some minor body issues.......may still go that route if this one craps out.

I hesitated posting this because I know its an A-body forum.....

shadango: Now that's a nice car. The price is right also. Good luck on this one.

Just check the cowl area and inside the trunk under the back window for rust or evidence of any repairs. THese are prone to rusting in those areas and expensive to fix....

Just check the cowl area and inside the trunk under the back window for rust or evidence of any repairs. These are prone to rusting in those areas and expensive to fix....

Thanks! Good info to know. WIll check those areas....I had asked the seller about the cowl and he said no rust there.....but didnt know about the second thing.

Thanks for the help!

shadango: Now that's a nice car. The price is right also. Good luck on this one.

Ok...so I am NOT out of my mind then?

:cheers:

I guess I am still wrapping my mind around spending this kind of money for a non-running car......flies in the face of everything I was ever taught in the old days of "Don't buy a car based on the appearane of it...go for mechaicals and how it runs"....plus I guess I am sort of an "immediate gratification" kind of guy.

Mywife is jagging me a bit saying that if I get the car it will be a bit till Ican drive it, but that I can sit in it and make "vroom vroom" noises....LOL :angry7:

Shadango: I've got a lead on a 74 sunroof 360 HP bucket 3 speed floor shift duster that i'm looking at this weekend. You're first in line. May not be nothing but i have to look. Complete but hasn't ran in awhile. I'll do some pics and get em to ya.

I thought you wanted a duster??..for $9500.00 i'm sure theres a clean '70-'71 out there for ya'..i'd spend the money on a duster long before buying a e-body...

These cars didnt come with the 7.25 axle right? So it should have either the 8.25 or the 8.75, yes?

A friend of mine bought a 1972 Challenger in 1974. 318 with a 904 automatic trans. I'm pretty sure it had a 7 1/4" rear in it, because I remember him being jealous of me when I put an 8 3/4" in my car.

Let us know how it went...but I think you'd be happier spending the money on 340 A-body.

I maybe wrong, but I thought '71 was the last year a /6 was available in Cudas and Challengers. I thought the 72-74 were 318 or 340's only (360 in '74).

According to my computer, the E-body 'Cudas only came with a 8.75 rear end.

And the /6 was available up to and including 1974.

Personally, I'd still go with an A-body, but then, I've already owned a '71 Cuda. It was OK, but I don't think that I'd want another one.

Hey guys...

Well, seems that the planets lined up today for me.....got the car!

VERY nice paint and body....the body is all original...the only new metal in it is the main trunk pan......cant find a dot of rust anywhere. Painted the 2007 version of sublime, with pearl in it. VERY green! LOL

Interior is toast but thats ok.....but the door panels look OK (they were dyed black at one time) and the seat frames seem ok so far.....

Engine is a 318 and "looks" nice.....havent gotten the tranny yet....supposed to be a 727.............and the car has an 8 3/4. :toothy10:

It DOES have drum front brakes which I will change out at some point...brand new weld rims and tires....it is an original console car.....

I have wanted an old Mopar for as long as I can remember....I love them all but honestly the E body was at the top of my list......so finally have one!

I would still like to one day own an A body and B body.....but one at a time...LOL

I want to thank everyone here for all their help and advice and support up to this point.....it was priceless during my search.......I hope I candraw on the wisdom of folks here going forward....

So now the question is: Can I still hang out here or will I be relegated to the E bodies forum? :-D

That's awesome! I hope everything is as good as it looks!

I like all Mopars, I've owned 22 of them including a '73 340 Duster, '71 Demon, '74 Valiant, '69 Charger, '69 Chrysler 300, three Furies, my current '69 Barracuda, a bunch of daily drivers, trucks, and a van...but never an e-body...seemed like they were always too pricey...except for the '71 Challenger 340 4-spd car that my Dad wouldn't let me buy when I was 16 for $1500. DOH!

But... there's a woman at a place I deliver to every day who's husband has had a '70 'Cuda out in the back yard for as long as they've been married, at least 8 years...I'm working on it...

Sounds like your wife is understanding about it, that's 1/2 the battle. You'll be making more than "vroom-vroom" noises in no time!

Good job, keep us posted!

Sounds like your wife is understanding about it, that's 1/2 the battle.

My wife was SUPER supportive. Actually so were my sons (7 and 9.5)....

I had actually STOPPED lookin gat cars outside of a 200 mile maximum radius,......it was just too far to go to "look" at cars that so often turned out to be not right for me.

My wife ignored my plea to NOT look outside that mileage andfound this one....

ANd to make it even crazier, turns out that I had relatives living within 5 miles of it! They went and looked at it for me yesterday and said it was solid.....I wasted no time in getting out there today.

After I bought it and while I was out getting the trailer from uhaul, anotehr buyer came and said he would buy it and was disappointed to find out I beat him to it...LOL I have no doubt this car would have been GONE today had I waited til the weekend.

Glad I took the gamble!

There was a ice looking 72 Challenger with a 360 in it listed on craiglist in cleveland for $8700.....that just poppedup last night....it was gonna be my next stop if thisone hadnt panned out....ad has been pulled already so I assume it sold fast too.

These e bodies dont hang around "for sale" long, do they? LOL

All I know is I finally got mine! :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::toothy10:

My wife was SUPER supportive. Actually so were my sons (7 and 9.5)....

I had actually STOPPED lookin gat cars outside of a 200 mile maximum radius,......it was just too far to go to "look" at cars that so often turned out to be not right for me.

My wife ignored my plea to NOT look outside that mileage andfound this one....

ANd to make it even crazier, turns out that I had relatives living within 5 miles of it! They went and looked at it for me yesterday and said it was solid.....I wasted no time in getting out there today.

After I bought it and while I was out getting the trailer from uhaul, anotehr buyer came and said he would buy it and was disappointed to find out I beat him to it...LOL I have no doubt this car would have been GONE today had I waited til the weekend.

Glad I took the gamble!

There was a ice looking 72 Challenger with a 360 in it listed on craiglist in cleveland for $8700.....that just poppedup last night....it was gonna be my next stop if thisone hadnt panned out....ad has been pulled already so I assume it sold fast too.

These e bodies dont hang around "for sale" long, do they? LOL

All I know is I finally got mine! :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::toothy10:

There you go buddy! Congratulations on your find! WE just talked about you deciding on price, model, make etc!!!! I love it and would have bought it in a minute! woohoo! On another note..... the cost for you to hang out here has gone up!!!!!:cheers:

Congrats Shadango your Avitar has certainly improved! Good luck putting on the finishing touches. Wish I could be so lucky...

Now you can git' yerself over to the FEBO web site too! Lot's of E-Body guys to hang with, and more good advice on the build. 8)

Congrats Shadango you have got to be on cloud 9 know =P~
You hang out here all you like:-D
That is a great car to find, Keep us updated and join in on the fun on FEBO
and get them updated on your great find bud.
The weather has been great here in Arkansas and I have been outside cleaning up from the ice storm and enjoying the sun shine.
I woke up this morning to see the great news :cheers:
You will be the talk of the town in that Cuda.

spring and fire 014.jpg

Glad you found YOUR car,looks nice!!Those Chally,s can fetch a good buck around my parts.I know a guy that paid $17,000 for a 74,took it home and stripped it and popped in a 440,4 speed then paint.I guess if it,s what you want you,ll pay anything to have it!Now get that motor in there!LOL!!

nice score man! keep us updated with pics and go pic ***** it on forebodiesonly.com lol

Thanks guys! Yeah, I am still pinching myself when I go into the garage and see the thing sitting there! LOL

Still lots of work to do, and I will be visiting this and the e body forum VERY often I m sure!

I still hope to one day be able to own a Duster and an older Barracuda (67-69)...right now, olne toy will have to do!

-
Back