Looking at buying a 2009 Avenger for my Daughter...Any reviews???

-

MobileCustoms

Reaction score
Hey all, thought this might be a good place to get some input from before I pull the trigger on this purchase.

Looking at buying an '09 Dodge Avenger with the 2.4 liter for my daughter. She really likes it and her current car (2000 Impala) has 240,000 miles on it and we are selling it asap.

Anyone here have any experience with these Avengers???

Any input is much appreciated! looking to do it this weekend.

-Doug

The avengers are really nice cars, even the 2.4 L runs good. The only thing about the 2009 is that this was the last year for the cheaper interiors, 2010 is when Chrysler started to put some money into better looking interiors more plush and did away with the all plastic door panels and all plastic dashes. If you just go out before you buy it and look at some 2010's you will see what I mean. As far as performance and design they are pretty much the same. My son in law picked up on a 2011 Avenger with the 3.6 L and that thing runs really good. They are like a mini charger and he loves his.
Bob

The avengers are really nice cars, even the 2.4 L runs good. The only thing about the 2009 is that this was the last year for the cheaper interiors, 2010 is when Chrysler started to put some money into better looking interiors more plush and did away with the all plastic door panels and all plastic dashes. If you just go out before you buy it and look at some 2010's you will see what I mean. As far as performance and design they are pretty much the same. My son in law picked up on a 2011 Avenger with the 3.6 L and that thing runs really good. They are like a mini charger and he loves his.
Bob

Thanks Bob, good to know! I think the price range of the '09 is about our ceiling. More concerned about mechanicals.

Good looking, we don't fix them hardly ever, a little under powered, but me no likey. Can't say why. They seem to hold up well. My sister has one and it is a deer and tree magnet. A tree fell on it (partially) in her yard and she was driving down the road when a tree fell into the road. She was forced to drive under it and was beat up my branches. She has hit deer and has had deer hit her. That car will be the death of her. But it's red. She likes red.

My daughter has been looking at all kinds of other cars and when we were talking about the Avenger I said "at least it's a Mopar" she asked what that means or does for her and I said "it puts you in the cool group". She liked that!

Good looking, we don't fix them hardly ever, a little under powered, but me no likey. Can't say why. They seem to hold up well. My sister has one and it is a deer and tree magnet. A tree fell on it (partially) in her yard and she was driving down the road when a tree fell into the road. She was forced to drive under it and was beat up my branches. She has hit deer and has had deer hit her. That car will be the death of her. But it's red. She likes red.

Sounds like you're a mechanic for a living? Good to hear you don't work on a lot of them at least.
Thanks, hope to meet you sometime, Mopars in the Park, maybe?

-Doug

Have had my '08 Avenger SXT with the 2.7 for a little over a year now, no complaints so far, been very reliable, and average 30 mpg to boot.

I have a 2010 RT with the 3.5 liter engine. It's peppy and gets 27 mpg as long as I keep my foot out of it. It has been a good car except the valve train had to be replaced at 35K; it was really loud on start up on cold days. It was under warranty though. I changed the oil at the 1K mile mark, and every 6K after that with synthetic.

good looking car but back visibility not great just something to think about

I thought I heard they had a poor oiling system and had oil related failures if they werent oil changed religiously.Edit that may have been in the chargers

We bought an 08 new, daughter now driving it. 2.4 is a bit under powered, but in 62K miles, have done nothing but change oil, plugs, brakes and tires. First time my daughter drove it, she did not like it (blind spot backing up, or so she thought), but now that it is hers, she loves it.

Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it, even though it's not an old A-body discussion. This puts my mind at ease for the most part... No horror stories. I think it will be a good car for her, we have had a truck load of problems with her Impala and are both ready to put that car in our past!

This 2.4 isn't under powered too bad they didn't put this motor in the avengers

Attachments

• 2013-08-26 20.12.12.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 134
If you overheat a 2.4, you WILL pop the head gasket. I THINK they are timing belt (100K) engines. A 2.4/auto is very underpowered and will likely use MORE gas than the V6.

Honestly...I'd keep looking. The pre-2010 Avenger is basically an aggressively-cheap, bland, rental-fleet-grade car that does nothing especially well. Also, I'd worry this one WAS, in fact, a rental. Even with 240K, I'd rather have an Impala. (And I'm no fan of those.)

the 2.4 engine is a proven engine in those cars and seemsto give no trouble if not abused. the v-6 is a pretty tight fit and more difficult to work on. avoid the 2.7 v-6 in any chrysler.

the 2.4l isn't a great engine, but if you keep it maintained you'll probably be alright. the head gaskets pop sometimes. but those are pretty simple on these cars. the 2.4l is also prone to shearing dowel pins and letting the cam gear shift. this happens a lot after a timing belt replacement.

Sounds like you're a mechanic for a living? Good to hear you don't work on a lot of them at least.
Thanks, hope to meet you sometime, Mopars in the Park, maybe?

-Doug

I work at a shop in St. Paul. I go to Mopars in the Park every year unless it rains. There is usually a FABO group there. I plan on getting on the free dyno this year. I missed it by one car last year.

-
Back