looking for 318 advise

-

htnut

Reaction score
i have asked alot of questions locally and have gotten all different answers. very confusing. so now i come to you guys on fabo.
i bought a original 72 demon with a factory 318 2 barrel. with only 46k original miles never touched. i would like to upgrade it a little. performance wise. nothing to crazy. after reading many previous posts on here, im thinking of going with a 4 barrel intake and carb, 340 exhaust manifolds, and dual exhaust. im i on the right track?
i would like to keep it as simple as possible and stock looking...and of course keep the original parts, in case i want to change it back to factory original. please help...any thoughts or advise? thank you.

The cheapest way to upgrade the performance of the 318 would be (IMO that is)

OE cast iron 4bbl
Carb of choice
A Comp Cams cam, designed for exhaust manifold cars Dual exhaust off the exhaust manifolds.

340 exhaust manifolds would be nice, but, IMO, there not worth the price and do not flow as nearly as well as a set of headers.

the best parts for the cheapest price would be nice.

The 318 is corked intake/exhaust wise... so any improvement there would be greatly noticed.

Rumble has some good ideas, though if you do have lil coin think about getting eddy performer intake manifold & 600 carb. Even with stock manifolds it picks up a lot Especially with a good tune [ignition timing]
If you pull the cap and breaker plate/reluctor out of the distributor and remove the heavy advance spring from the weight [there r 2, but only remove the one thats heavy] doing this will raise the initial timing but not change the total timing, throttle response greatly improves as does burning rubber.

the 340 manifolds are great at this level/rpm and give very lil to headers power wise, being the cm is tiny and yer not gonna turn more than 5000'ish with it.jmo

'Jeffthemarine' has a 71 demon and this type of combo, his has headers though, it runs good, picked it up quite a bit.

Pull the 318 out set it aside and keep it and buy the 340 thats for sale on here running for $1500. You will still have to do something exhaust wise, but the 340's are getting harder to find, especially being able to hear it run. Problem solved. And you still have the #'s matching engine.

not looking to be cheap...just better performance and look stock at same time...hence not looking for a header combo...thanks
i have asked alot of questions locally and have gotten all different answers. very confusing. so now i come to you guys on fabo.
i bought a original 72 demon with a factory 318 2 barrel. with only 46k original miles never touched. i would like to upgrade it a little. performance wise. nothing to crazy. after reading many previous posts on here, im thinking of going with a 4 barrel intake and carb, 340 exhaust manifolds, and dual exhaust. im i on the right track?
i would like to keep it as simple as possible and stock looking...and of course keep the original parts, in case i want to change it back to factory original. please help...any thoughts or advise? thank you.

500 Edelbrock Carb,intake ,air Cle3aner ,valve Covers, Duel Exhaust ,electric Ign,and Super Coil Thats What My Stock 318 Has Now

I would consider a Performer intake (painted blue), Edelbrock 1406 carb, Comp XE262 cam and dual exhaust using the manifolds you have now. You'll also want to convert to electronic ignition. Should put 250 hp to the back wheels (until the 2.76 geared 7 1/4" rear explodes, which it will eventually).

Pull the 318 out set it aside and keep it and buy the 340 thats for sale on here running for $1500. You will still have to do something exhaust wise, but the 340's are getting harder to find, especially being able to hear it run. Problem solved. And you still have the #'s matching engine.

Nothin like answering the question!

Why is it more and more pepole do not answer the question but simply give advice to spend more money and prescribe more work that what the OE poster wants ot can spend to do.

Why don't you give him the $1500 and shipping to upgrade what he didn't ask about.

Thanks for (NOT) helping!

I was going to agree with everyone, and advise changing the timing gear/chain...318's are notorious for shearing the nylon cam gear....then, a edelbrock performer, Holley 650VS, (even stock 318 manifolds) Dual 2.25=/+ exhaust, the shorter the better, fresh plugs, cap, rotor, wires, recurve of the distributor, MSD Blaster Coil....300hp on the cheap.

Edelbrock performer, ...never mind, just noticed that C130Chief posted almost exactly what I was going to. I have that combo on mine, with 302 heads and Dougs headers and it pulls good for a 318. Mines coming out soon so i can drop in the stroker.

I have a factory iron 4 barrel intake that I could sell you for cheap. I would even media blast it for you. At least it would fill your request of looking factory.

Cast iron intake or an Ld4B eddie and paint it.360 log manifolds and hog them out extensively with a long carbide cutter. The biggest pipe that will neck off form the manifolds is something like 1 7/8 but you could step it up to 2 1/2 under the starter. Then go dual exhaust.

Use a tq and a dual snorkel stock air filter housing. Remove the baffles from inside it. Better yet,make your own housing.

Add a NOS system under the intake...8)

Badart I noticed that and edited my post to reflect it.We must have cross posted...

The cheapest? Well how about some summit headers,the big summit cam and a summit intake? They might even have a package deal.Top it with a well tuned tq and you'd have a pretty good package that might take you into the 14 sec range. With proper gearing you could drive it all day everyday and get decent mileage too(as long as you keep it out of the boards,lol).

Yeah but he said that he wanted to keep it looking stock.

-
Back