[WANTED] Looking for 7.20" push rods...

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cup depth from the lip to the bottom may vary and the "effective" length is the actual, physical, mechanical pushrod length, like the overall length of a ball/ball pushrod. The cup does nothing more than locate/capture the adjuster. Stamped rockers have the cup built into them.
You are correct. The ball on the rocker and the cup on the pushrod should be the same size (not one @ 5/16 and the other @ 3/8 for example). If you Mopar guys need pushrods in lengths other than the stock length be careful to ask the supplier or manufacturer which measurement they use and require. It could prevent ordering the wrong length. When I ordered mine the description listed the dimension as overall length so that's how I measured my pushrod checker. Had I ordered from Smith Bros. they need the effective length (bottom of the cup) and I would have measured mine accordingly. Mike

How did you figure out that they are hair more than 7.375 OAL though??

I went to the garage and measured the ones I have that are too long for my engine

Myasylum,

Did you find pushrods? If so, what was your source as I need the same thing and haven't found them at a reasonable price yet.

Thanks!

Myasylum,

Did you find pushrods? If so, what was your source as I need the same thing and haven't found them at a reasonable price yet.

Thanks!

I'm still working on pushrod length. I got the Comp pushrods in and they seemed too long. I think I screwed up and set the adjuster too shallow in the rocker arm when I used my pushrod checker. The cup hits the rocker body. So
I am waiting for my 8" caliper to come in so I can measure again. I will try the Summit pushrods and/or rocker shaft shims.

Be careful with the shims. They will move the rocker arm contact patch at the top of the valve. You want it as close as possible to the middle.

Thanks for that info. mine are at the heel now. If they start out in the middle they should end up on the toe correct?

This is the length of the Summit G642 overall.

DSC_0014.jpg

You are correct. The ball on the rocker and the cup on the pushrod should be the same size (not one @ 5/16 and the other @ 3/8 for example). If you Mopar guys need pushrods in lengths other than the stock length be careful to ask the supplier or manufacturer which measurement they use and require. It could prevent ordering the wrong length. When I ordered mine the description listed the dimension as overall length so that's how I measured my pushrod checker. Had I ordered from Smith Bros. they need the effective length (bottom of the cup) and I would have measured mine accordingly. Mike

This is exactly the problem i have now and for the last month what i thought was "ticking" was actually from the pushrods hitting the head on the bottom closest to the valve. I ordered a set from smith brothers and i suppose i got confused with all the questions and that lead to them being too short by an 1/8+, they are 7 5/32+. I have 140$ set of paperweights now :/. I ordered a set of Summits which should be correct for adjustable/hydraulic. I wish i would have seen this post before i spent hours trying to adjust and readjust the preload. I am at 1/4 turn preload and its still tapping the head, i kept giving it more preload and it just made it worse come to find out geometry was working against me.

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back