***looking For A Good Restoration Guy**

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am looking for a good reputable restoration guy for my 69 formula s ragtop. It's a 340 4spd car...very low production numbers, so i want it done right. I will do all the mechanical. As well i will do the interior. What I want from a restoration guy is to do all the body, metal and possibly paint. I have a 68 fastback and a 69 fastback as donor cars. Lots of good pieces on the fastback. So what I am hoping is that the restoration guy will take the donor cars and use what he can and this will reduce my cost. When done all I want is an extra pair of fenders(which I have). I have been given a ballpark price of around $15,000 and that would put my car in epoxy primer. I am located near Peterobough Ontario. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Steve

WOW !! $15000 for it to be taken to primer? That thing must be a hunk of rust to start with. You are far away from my neck of the woods for me to make a recommendation on a shop. I have a guy that has a full time job doing this and was trained by the best and has all the certs and he comes over and does my stuff with my direction on correctness but i must admit i get a deal. Make sure that you get someone that is a Mopar guy. There surely must be someone close to ya. Good luck and keep us posted on your findings.
Small Block #2998

Start calling around, I know RM is in Chatham and they do resto's. Also a couple of places in Windsor who know what there doing.

Riddler

Just some advise, if the guy has to remove all the sheetmetal from the other two cars, he is doing twice the labor IMO. If you want to save some cash, you should either remove the pieces yourself, or buy new ones.

WOW !! $15000 for it to be taken to primer?

For my Charger, I talked to a resto/body shop about doing it. It needs new quarters, rear valance, front floor pans, trunk extensions, outer wheelhouses, trunk floor possibly, left rear frame rail, torsion bar crossmember, rear crossmember and some pretty deep gouges in the hood. I got quoted atleast $16,000 CAD not including supplies (and I think it didn't include parts either).

I here you Steve, I got quoted $12,500. for my Duster, and that's rolling in a bare shell, the car needs NO patches or panels, only a few small dings to fix and re-align panels.

Unfortunately that is the price range for " Really good " body work, the hourly rates and 15% tax on top are killer.

Send a PM to Skips dart he gas a friend that does simply amazing work (look at Skip's Dart), he his in the Stratford area. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=28479

I'm looking also, so if you find a good place, could you please pass it along.

Good luck
Giles

I'll vouch for Nigel......very good work.

Hi guys, thanks for the vote for Nigel. I have known him for about 20 years, but have only bought parts. I have never had his guys do any work for me. He is the one that quoted approx $15k and I dont think he is out of line, I just wanted to see if his name would pop up and how his rep is for the restoration end of things.

Thanks
Steve

I have known Nigel since 1988 been on a couple of southern trips with him back then, and would consider him the most honest reasonable person to deal with! I would say he is your best bet.All his guy's are Mopar experienced guy's! That is what you want when restoring a Mopar!! Don't forget to tell him I sent you..Thanks, Craig..

I have known Nigel since 1988 been on a couple of southern trips with him back then, and would consider him the most honest reasonable person to deal with! I would say he is your best bet.All his guy's are Mopar experienced guy's! That is what you want when restoring a Mopar!! Don't forget to tell him I sent you..Thanks, Craig..

Yeah I definitely wanting a Mopar guy doing it, and I have always been treated well by Nigel, but didnt know of anyone that had body work done by him. Bonus is that he could use the mopar stuff that I dont need anymore, and hopefully that will bring his total price down. Thanks Craig, I will tell him you sent me.

Thanks
Steve

I have 9K in my 69 and it's in epoxy primer, but it includes stripping it to metal.

Any suggestions for west Canada?Saskatchewan?

Do you want the best possible job from a resto shop? Try Boot Hill Auto - Erin, ON

He is better than RM and "what's his name" in Toronto.

He is as good as it gets. I visited his shop last fall and it was a 1st class operation. If I ever let someone touch my cars it would be Boot Hill.

sscuda

Do you want the best possible job from a resto shop? Try Boot Hill Auto - Erin, ON

He is better than RM and "what's his name" in Toronto.

He is as good as it gets. I visited his shop last fall and it was a 1st class operation. If I ever let someone touch my cars it would be Boot Hill.

sscuda

Nice to know, maybe I can check it out when I go drop my headers off for ceramic coat in Erin.

-
Back