Looking for a new used truck.

-

dartfreak75

Restore it, Dont part it!
Reaction score
Since my truck is about done for I have started to (more seriously) look for a new truck. Is there any make that is way better than the rest on newer ones. Iv heard alot of ppl unhappy with the new rams since fiat took over. Is that just a placibo effect or is quality really lacking?
I have looked at Chevy and GMC. Even Toyota they are higher than I'd like to spend. I haven't considered Ford because I hate Ford's but I'd like to hear your story if you have one good or bad.
One thing is on used one is the mileage. My God where do people go these days to put so many miles on a vehicle. I looked at a 2015 Silverado today it was beautiful super nice loaded with everything for 25k but it had 150k miles on it. Its on barely 4 years old how in the world do you put that much mileage on one? Which leads to my next question. What kinda miles will a new vehicle withstand? I drive an average of 300 miles a week. Some weeks more others far less but as an average ill say 300. So by the time I pay it off (6 years if I do 72 month loan) that will be 94k miles. So if I buy say that Silverado by the time its paid for it will have almost 250k miles on it. Then I'm back in the same boat in now! That seems ridiculously stupid to me. I'd like to get at least 15 to 20 years out of a truck if I'm paying upwards of 30k for it. The truck I'm driving now I paid $1800 for and have driven it for 8 years with just minor repairs. But now it has 260k on it and its falling apart. Is a 2015 gonna fall apart 6 years from now with 250k ? Thanks guys looking forward to your input!

I'll sell you my Ford. It won't be cheap though. lol

I'll sell you my Ford. It won't be cheap though. lol
Lol I'm looking at everything right now. I am eyeing two different dodges and a Chevrolet. I found a GMC that I really liked but it has too many miles.

Lol I'm looking at everything right now. I am eyeing two different dodges and a Chevrolet. I found a GMC that I really liked but it has too many miles.
Also I found a Tacoma I like.

Screenshot_20190224-205500_CARFAX.jpg

Screenshot_20190224-210333_CARFAX.jpg

I drive 250 miles for work each week. then I chase on the weekend. my '01 ram is up to 256,***.
If you are on a budget, I'd look for a 99-03 Ram with a 5.9. If it runs great, dont' cringe at 150,*** miles if the price is right.

Wouldn't have to be those years, but I like how the trannys shift in them

I drive 250 miles for work each week. then I chase on the weekend. my '01 ram is up to 256,***.
If you are on a budget, I'd look for a 99-03 Ram with a 5.9. If it runs great, dont' cringe at 150,*** miles if the price is right.

Wouldn't have to be those years, but I like how the trannys shift in them
01 ram is what I have now it has 260 the drivetrain is great the body and frame is what's going bad.

You cannot go wrong with a Toyota. I am actually in fact, still a certified Master Toyota technician......for what that's worth. lol Their certifications never expire. They are fantastic vehicles. I would buy a new little truck myself, if I could afford one.

Here is the chebbie and yota.
The black dodge is a 2016 with 60k for 25k
The grey dodge is a 2011 with 70k for 18k
The Chevy is a 2017 with 30k for 28k
And the Toyota has 100k for 11k

Screenshot_20190224-212935_Messenger.jpg

Screenshot_20190224-212858_Samsung Internet.jpg

Wow I just found a Ford that I really like.
2014 with 67k for 23k
Very nice looking truck.

Screenshot_20190224-213920_CARFAX.jpg

Screenshot_20190224-213915_CARFAX.jpg

Screenshot_20190224-213909_CARFAX.jpg

Screenshot_20190224-213935_CARFAX.jpg

Screenshot_20190224-213927_CARFAX.jpg

I also really like this GMC it is clean.
2011 with 67k for 22k
Has 5.3

Screenshot_20190224-215845_CARFAX.jpg

Screenshot_20190224-215839_CARFAX.jpg

Screenshot_20190224-215720_CARFAX.jpg

They are all good trucks it's up to your preference, imo Ram has the best looks.
Are you sure you need a full size pick up? New truck sales are up again this year and that momentum is pulling used truck prices up.
Is going to be your vehicle / your decision, but a late model used truck is going to be pricy, there are other options if you just need transportation.

Are you sure you need a full size pick up? New truck sales are up again this year and that momentum is pulling used truck prices up.
Is going to be your vehicle / your decision, but a late model used truck is going to be pricy, there are other options if you just need transportation.
Yes I have to have to have a truck. I haul wood and lumber and trash etc . Hopefully be pulling my dart to the track this summer too.

And mid sized trucks are pointless to me less room inside less hauling capacity, the same gas mileage and the same price.

1. Hemi dodge
2. Smashed up Hemi dodge
3. Rusty Hemi dodge
4. Was on fire Hemi dodge
5. 5.3 Chevy
6. High mileage 5.3 chevy
7. 5.0 ford

I just paid 5200 for my 98 2500 extra cab long bed with 124, 000 miles. Absolute beautiful cloth interior with no rips. Of course it has the crack Dash which I plan to replace the summer and having a little of the clear coat peeling on the hood. I absolutely 100% love this truck! Also the last owner had just put brand new tires on it and had just rebuilt the tranny and at the time there was still six months left on the one-year warranty in the glove box. Which has now expired. It's the teal green also which I had extremely like on this particular truck. I think to myself you need a new body like you said and if you were to get another one in these years that is in much much better physical condition you would have all those extra parts and drivetrain if anything was to happen. Then we wouldn't be talking massive payments for long amounts of years either. Those kinds of hi payment rigs need to come after those kids are gone LOL
You can see my son's Power Wagon peeking from behind...
IMG_20180730_163240.jpg

Last edited:
7 years from now when you finally have that new truck paid off and it's completely wore her out LOL I'll sell you my truck for 5200 with probably about a hundred and sixty thousand miles or so by then LOL

I just paid 5200 for my 98 2500 extra cab long bed with 124, 000 miles. Absolute beautiful cloth interior with no rips. Of course it has the crack Dash which I plan to replace the summer and having a little of the clear coat peeling on the hood. I absolutely 100% love this truck! Also the last owner had just put brand new tires on it and had just rebuilt the tranny and at the time there was still six months left on the one-year warranty in the glove box. Which has now expired. It's the teal green also which I had extremely like on this particular truck. I think to myself you need a new body like you said and if you were to get another one in these years that is in much much better physical condition you would have all those extra parts and drivetrain if anything was to happen. Then we wouldn't be talking massive payments for long amounts of years either. Those kinds of hi payment rigs need to come after those kids are gone LOL
You can see my son's Power Wagon peeking from behind...
View attachment 1715294683
That is beautiful. I love those trucks. Im looking for them too. Im not dead set on a new one im just browsing my options. Im looking thru 2011-2017 now

That is beautiful. I love those trucks. Im looking for them too. Im not dead set on a new one im just browsing my options. Im looking thru 2011-2017 now
Thank you I love washing it it makes me happy. Just find a truck that makes you happy. And you won't worry about working on it or anything like that. But the price range you're talking about I would be thinking warranties and no work at all..

-
Back