[WANTED] Looking for a set of 340 X heads.

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Wilkinson

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Contact seller
I need a set of stock original X heads for my 1969 340. On the wish list is E castings, but that's probably a little over the top. I'm in Champaign, IL and I'll drive significant distance to pickup.
Thanks

Never heard of “E” castings.

I heard and seen of;

X, J, O, U & Z.

I could be wrong..... but, I thought this was the casting.

Screenshot_20230524_164127_Photos.jpg

Yup, letter suffix after the casting number indicates approximate year and related casting mold. There may be an actual date code cast into the head too.

Hello!
Nice pictures! Thanks!
Where at in Southern WI?
The heads look like they have been worked in a machine shop. Do you have any documentation on their health?
Price?
Thanks,
Dave

Thanks!
The X Is the big deal. The E is only the date code to match my car, and not that big of a deal.

After reading this post I looked at a pair of X heads I have saved for a later project and one is 2531894 E the other is 2531894 A . I presume E is 69 so what is A ? Can't be '65 . 340's didn't exist till late '67 for the '68 production. Any thoughts ??

After reading this post I looked at a pair of X heads I have saved for a later project and one is 2531894 E the other is 2531894 A . I presume E is 69 so what is A ? Can't be '65 . 340's didn't exist till late '67 for the '68 production. Any thoughts ??
Can u post a pic of the A. Maybe it’s like the 340s we’re only used in cars till 73. But I have seen 1977 year blocks. 340s were in boats and other equipment. And for warranty purposes. Kim

Last edited:
Regardless of the -letter, the heads will likely have a 4 or 5 digit date code on them. I forget at the moment

The bare set I have, are supposed to be cleaned and magged. But they have a D letter

20230529_144327.jpg

20230529_144313.jpg

The head date code that @Bennoel 10 posted would be a solid date for a mid november and on 69 model year car.

09238 = Sept 23 1968 casting date.

The E that you are searching for is not a date code, it's the core box used for the casting. Irrelevant to the actual casting date/production year.

Thanks for the info!
I appreciate all the help.
Picked up a set that are in great shape and delivered to the machine shop today.

Good Morning!
Fair question... this set was inspected at a machine shop. New guides, freeze plugs, and inspected for cracks. Heads are bare. Also, money back if they showed cracks at my machine shop.
$500....

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back