looking for a solar powered light

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
hey guys, as some of you might remember, me and my kids build a small garden shed a while ago

I installed windows in it for daytime light but since the kids like "camping" in there I thought it might be nice to install some form of light in there

it sits too far back from the house to run electricity out to (I may still at some point, but not anytime soon) so I'm thinking of solar lights

now, the shed does sit in a wooded area, so the panel will not be in "direct" sunlight

anyone have any experience with those?
any suggestions, brand or setups to look into or stay away from?

thanks guys

Last edited:
hey guys, as some of you might remember, me and my kids build a small garden shed a while ago

I installed windows in it for daytime light but since the kids like "camping" in there I thought it might be nice to install some form of light in there

it sits too far back from the house to run electricity out to (I may still at some point, but not anytime soon) so I'm thinking of solar lights

now, the shed does sit in a wooded area, so the panel will not be in "direct" sunlight

thanks guys
I have a solar light in one end of my driveway. put it up about 3 yrs ago, and just ordered a replacement battery for it. (haven't got it yet) the light has a big tree on the east and west side of it, where it doesn`t get sun all day, but most of it. have to keep the limbs trimmed back. it will not burn all night when there are is a lot of cloudy weather... if u could extend the wiring from the solar cell-from the actual light itself, where the sun would be on it all day, it might fill your need. don`t know about the increased load the longer wires would put on the cell tho . be careful, I didn`t know any better, and got raped on mine !

Thanks Bob
I'm not looking for something that will burn all night, every night... just something to light up the shed when we need to be out there at night while we get ready for bed, or for the kids to play there in the evening

Thanks Bob
I'm not looking for something that will burn all night, every night... just something to light up the shed when we need to be out there at night while we get ready for bed, or for the kids to play there in the evening
maybe wire a shut off switch in the extended line ??? tried ebay ?

The problem with eBay is that I didn't want to go in blindly

thanks guys
better idea, get you some 12v lights that they use in RVs/campers, hook them to a deep cycle 12v battery, simply charge it up and go. When we go camping, we do this and the 4 lights in our camper, hooked to just the batteries last roughly a week or so on a single charge.

I would build my own, look for a 12 volt led lights shop by lumens I don't trust watts, get a small car battery or lawn mower, and possibly a solar charger for it.

good luck

I'm digging the idea of a 12 volt system with a solar charger
but then again...it almost seems like if I were to build my own it would be just as easy to run power to it

I'm digging the idea of a 12 volt system with a solar charger
but then again...it almost seems like if I were to build my own it would be just as easy to run power to it
my brother has a harbor freight portable system, it was under 200 bucks, works pretty good.

that doesn't sound too bad at all
I would have to be careful where I placed the whole deal or my six year old would be trying to revive dead frogs by hooking them up to the battery

You can get a small gell 12vdc for a alarm system, a 15 watt panel from HF and any 12v led light it will fill all your needs.prob under 70 for all.

Last edited:
Why not some "tap lights" that run off batteries. Put up a few and the kiddos can tap on/off when needed.

GE 1-Light White Battery Operated Round Mini Tap Light-55219 - The Home Depot
I thought about those but I would prefer something I can install once and forget about it
If I'm running solar powered lights and the kids don't shut them off they will recharge themselves the next day

With those lights you posted, I'll be changing batteries each time I want to turn the light on

I thought about those but I would prefer something I can install once and forget about it
If I'm running solar powered lights and the kids don't shut them off they will recharge themselves the next day

With those lights you posted, I'll be changing batteries each time I want to turn the light on

I see.

Solar panel small 12v, a small 12v rechargeable battery and led strip lights in like a rope would do it. I even think they make a solar one.

I've seen solar powered led ropes on the harbor freight website...I may have to stop by there and see how the rope attaches to the panel

That looks good Hali.
I'll look into those aswell

Thanks

I have similar ones on the insides of my lift barely use a drop light any more. Should do it for you and no shock hazard for the kids. Wont revive a frog though......

that doesn't sound too bad at all
I would have to be careful where I placed the whole deal or my six year old would be trying to revive dead frogs by hooking them up to the battery
America needs more scientists!

-
Back