Looking for a value

-

Austinr7

Reaction score
Hi i have a 1968 Plymouth Barracuda. Original 318, Auto 727. Original 24K miles. Runs, drives and stops. Has a new 2 barrel carb, starter, alternator, brake lines, gas line, master cylinder, New drum brakes all the way around. Interior is all refinished. Paint is starting to chip in a few spots and has rust spot on fender. 2nd owner. 1st was my grandfather. Looking to see if I could get a value on it? Please.
(Sorry if post is not in right forum spot was unable to find one for value)

Screenshot_20200917-193159.png

Screenshot_20200917-193150.png

Two pictures are just going to get more questions than answers. Engine compartment, interior, frame, trunk etc. Most here know what to look for to give you at least 15 different values.

Get that thing in a garage and out of the weather 24K original miles it's a gem. Resist the urge to butcher it up into a Godawful race car, and resist the urge to sell it to somebody who's gonna butcher it up into a Godawful race car. Stuff like this was plentiful in the 1970s but not anymore unless you can build a time machine and go back. It's cool you have a connection thru this car with your grandfather. He obviously loved it enough to keep it all these years, to where you are its second owner. Tasteful upgrades would be the way to go in regards to brakes, suspension, maybe a little work on the 318 to make it perform better, but I wouldent do anything to it that cannot easily be put back to stock.

I'd give you 5000 if it's not rusted through the bottom of the car and it doesnt smell like a mildewy old basment.

It's a non performance car, stock small wheels, sat for a long time and needs all new rubber hoses and replaceables like filters, brakes checked , any leaks windows or motor trans. Basically I'd put 2 grand into it after buying just to have it a "driver" car . No paint job, just changing weathered, brittle, cracked rock hard rubber..gas drain and boil tank, all new brakes n hoses, fluids, tires...carpet kit perhaps, maybe interior work, tune up if it runs well enough..maybe valve job. Never know what's in store.

That's the big picture. 5,000 tops as is with title.

Get that thing in a garage and out of the weather 24K original miles it's a gem. Resist the urge to butcher it up into a Godawful race car, and resist the urge to sell it to somebody who's gonna butcher it up into a Godawful race car. Stuff like this was plentiful in the 1970s but not anymore unless you can build a time machine and go back. It's cool you have a connection thru this car with your grandfather. He obviously loved it enough to keep it all these years, to where you are its second owner. Tasteful upgrades would be the way to go in regards to brakes, suspension, maybe a little work on the 318 to make it perform better, but I wouldent do anything to it that cannot easily be put back to stock.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
listen to him. ^^^^^^^^

https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/1968/Plymouth/Barracuda/2-Door-Fastback-318/Values
@Austinr7
Don't listen to any one of us...listen all. Take everything you read and use it to form an educated decision. Do what YOU want to do. Not what someone who wishes they were in your shoes would do...they need to get their own car/life.
:bs_flag:[URL="https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/1968/Plymouth/Barracuda/2-Door-Fastback-318/Values"]1968 Plymouth Barracuda 2 Door Fastback (318) Prices, Values & Barracuda 2 Door Fastback (318) Price Specs[/URL]

I bought a 67 from the original owner 20 years ago and paid 4000 for it

If you truly want to sell it simply ask too much and settle for what you can get. It seems like a nice survivor but it's also pretty plain Jane. It could be worth 7-9 K to someone who's looking for something nice??? But it's really hard to say with so little info/pics.

It's worth whatever someone will pay for it.

You find out a ton in person than in just 2 pics on the net.

I think Mopar are worth a ton of money too ,like most people here... but go put yours up for sale...the one you think is so bitchin, but isn't a hp car..just a transplant...good luck getting your money/time back out of it... that's why I keep'em all. I like them, that's enough. They dont have to be worth a ton.

Two months ago there was a 69 Barracuda red on red, 318, console auto in very, very nice shape with 45,xxxx miles in SC. Originally they wanted 20k and of course it didn't sell.(The boyfriend was an a$$hole and kept saying stupid stuff about it. The girlfriend who I believe it was originally in her families possession, posted that she lowered the price). They lowered the price to 15k and a few days later it was sold. Not to say it sold for 15k but it had to be close.

Yep you are full of ****. Fk off, it clearly says average retail 5,150. That's a running driving car that hasn't been sitting forever.
His is a base v8 car is not optioned.
go hang out with a Barrett-Jackson crowd and quit starting ****.

I am not trying to start sh*t, and I certainly don't need you to tell me what to do. I was just trying to help the young man out from predators on the dark web.

Try finding a '68 Barracuda Fastback with 24K miles ( on the internet ) for 5K. Good luck.

Your words do not hurt me and I could care less of what you think. It's seems obvious that your ego was bruised by me disagreeing with your valuation of his car.

I know your not accustomed to having someone disagree with you
and it shows in your reply.

For your information, I have a car and a life. I am happy with both. It's sad that you get so upset over something that means so little. I wish you well. This forum is a special place because of people like you.

Take care and lighten up. Life is too short to be miserable and short fused.
It (life) gives us reminders every so often of how fragile it is.
One day we are here and the next day we may not be.
We have a choice of what we want to make of it. We can choose to be grateful of each day and be happy,
OR, we can choose to be the opposite. My hope for you is that you are grateful for every day you have here and can find happiness.

I am sincere in my reply to you.

Hi i have a 1968 Plymouth Barracuda. Original 318, Auto 727. Original 24K miles. Runs, drives and stops. Has a new 2 barrel carb, starter, alternator, brake lines, gas line, master cylinder, New drum brakes all the way around. Interior is all refinished. Paint is starting to chip in a few spots and has rust spot on fender. 2nd owner. 1st was my grandfather. Looking to see if I could get a value on it? Please.
(Sorry if post is not in right forum spot was unable to find one for value)

View attachment 1715596964

View attachment 1715596965
See my first post ?

2nd owner. 1st was my grandfather
Don't refer to it as a second owner car. Refer to it as a one family car.

As for value, just based on the 2 photos, low end 1000 if it is a rust bucket. 5000 to 10,000 if it was rust free, all original, unmodified, and has ALL the parts (trim etc) in good condition.

Just my opinion

Put it up for sale on an auction format on eBay. You'll get your value.

Austinr7 . Welcome to the site.
As to your question, several things come to mind:
Why do you need a value; are you thinking of selling, or do you need a number for insurance purposes? This affects your number.
To come on a site like this and ask peoples' opinions based on a few pictures is going to open up a can of worms more than give you any answers. Values of the same vehicle can fluctuate wildly because of various factors: current market, location (yes, I can buy a fair condition vehicle down south for the same or less as I can buy a total rustbucket for here locally), even the time of year can play a factor.
My advice is this: spend the coin and hire an independent auto appraiser, one with classic experience. Local auto clubs, or even your insurance agent can supply you with suitable candidates; and then check their references.
Prior to inspection, give the car a THOROUGH top-to-bottom cleaning, inside and out. If you're not up to it, have the car portered and the body cut/buffed. If it runs, get a GOOD tune-up done. Appearances matter, and a couple afternoons spent, or a couple hundred spent can mean a big difference in valuation.
The appraiser will delve into all the nooks and crannies of your car and give you the best assessment they can. This is what they do for a living. They will also list other COMPARABLE vehicle sale numbers to justify their valuation. Even so, it is just a guide, an approximation. As the old saying goes; "It's worth exactly what you can get for it". But at least this will get you into a legitimate price range.
My opinion, for your situation.
Good luck.

-
Back