Looking for advice: 71 Demon 340,4spd, AC, original metal car

-

DarrenM

Diggin' holes is fun
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have a Phoenix,AZ (via Oregon) Demon 340, 4spd, AC car that I'm thinking needs to go. I can't move in my garage to get to anything, and it just sits there. it should be enjoyed by someone. I bought it in 2008.

It's an original sheet metal car according to the previous owner (and appears so to me too). it's a factory undercoated car as well, so it's very solid underside. Not perfect paint, could be original in spots, but has had some paint done on it for sure. Trunk is all solid. It's green on green plaid, and has a Chrysler 8 track. All numbers matching, build sheet included.

The AC is not installed, and it needs a viscous fan clutch. Electronic ignition conversion. Runs and drives, but hasn't been started in 2 years.

I"m thinking in the low $20k range. What do you all think?

Car is in Winnipeg, MB, Canada

DSC_0176-1.JPG

DSC_0177-1.JPG

demon%20039-1.JPG

demon%20030-1.JPG

demon%20022-1.JPG

shifter knob is stock looking now.

bay1%20019-1.JPG

My advice ? Don't waste your time trying to sell it here,to much BS.

Looks like a clean Demon...I think a set of Rallye wheels would help.
If its an original 340 4spd Demon,your not far off. Someone is looking for that car.
Good luck with your sale.

Wow....that thing looks super nice. I like green cars, but many don't, and that may hurt you. Also, you've got some issues here, like the A/C being discombobulated and not "exactly" running condition. People wanna hear that they can hop in it and drive it back home to wherever for $20K. So now you either can cut it loose in the shape it sits (and lose maybe $1000's......or get it back to being a realistic runner/driver. Is the engine 100% original/stock? Also, having working A/C would be a huge plus.

I'd love to own it........but I ain't feelin' the slotted mags.

I think its awesome. but agree with cudavert. completely there and running will help your sale. car looks to be in good shape.

Post the fender tag info. Also what history do you have in terms of ownership?

You need to fix the items you listed - also, get the correct factory wheels, and fix a number of the items that need attention. From the pictures looks like the glove box lock is not fastened properly, Rallye gauge bezel is flaking and the front bumper is missing some pieces on the drivers side. What is the ground wire doing hanging down from the steering column? And the other bundle of wires close to the A/C unit?

The price you can expect - is $12-15K and up depending on what needs attention. A fresh, perfect - new - original nut and bolt top notch restoration of a 1971 Duster 340, Fe5, 4 speed with MANY new original parts recently could not bring $25K. Car is extremely high quality and completely finished in all the factory platings for components. Use this as a measure.

The Duster was listed on Ebay and topped out at $25K. The owner has receipts for more than $30K in parts alone, no labor included. Here is the link to the Duster for reference: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=234258

Is the drivetrain original to your car, how fresh and what does the car need to be close to 100%?

On all other areas of the car, assess your car based on what you see on the 1971 Duster 340 that is 100% new and done.
Before you posted pictures of the car, I would have recommended that fix the interior items I mentioned earlier so that those do not raise questions about any electrical issues with the car. Put you best foot forward first rather than having to justify the issues exposed by the photos.

Post that info. and we will be happy to help you with more info.

.......................Looks to be a very clean car, but I've never seen a 340 demon with body side mouldings and/or chrome rocker mouldings, not saying that they couldn't be added on..................I really think ur in the 12-15k range..........when I pay 20k for a car I expect not to have to do anything to it, but get in and drive.................kim..........

I agree with the others, 12 grand is probably the magic number tops for the way it is as described.
Fix the minor things and get it running right you MIGHT get your 20 grand out of it.
Nice car BTW, i love the green cars!
If i had the money, we would be dealing on it right now......

I have a friend that lives in Niagara who is looking for a Demon with Air. I will pass along the information. Good Luck! Andrew.

.......................Looks to be a very clean car, but I've never seen a 340 demon with body side mouldings and/or chrome rocker mouldings, not saying that they couldn't be added on..................I really think ur in the 12-15k range..........when I pay 20k for a car I expect not to have to do anything to it, but get in and drive.................kim..........
What He said!!! X2

I ve never seen the body side mouldings on a 340 car . but maybe they were dealer installed, but the rocker trim I have seen a few times.
pretty rare , but my 71 340 car came from the factory with them. car has all factory studs poking from the rockers.

Attachments

• 102_2440.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 660
depends on a lot of things.. the paint is what someone will have to see in person to judge. if its original then its more ok to have imperfections in it.. if its a repaint it will scare people away. the color combo will also scare a lot of people away. personally i like it. its different. but more people want a flashy bright non-green color..lol

biggest things i see that need to be done before the sale are: wires hanging under the dash. a good detailing and i would at least bolt the a/c stuff on. like to see a picture of under the hood.

10 to 12k is a joke if that is a real 340 4speed in my opinion.

Car has a lot going for it build sheet, numbers matching, 71, looks fairly original, 340, 4 speed, and a AZ car. Green is not the best color but like others have said I like it. Low 20s might be tuff in the current market but I'm thinking high teens if the car is rust free and nearly original under the hood.

Cool car!

Also keep in mind he is in Canada. Much different market up here. We pay a lot more for cars like this.

Thanks guys. Sorry for posting the "advice" comment. I am selling, but I suppose a better place to set a good market value would be in another forum.

Love the $10k comments. I bet if I posted that price, a trailer would be at my door in 24 hours. lol

I'll get a better photo of the fender tag (the one I have is blurry, typical of fender tag photos I've seen).

I will get it running, and change out that fan clutch. I don't expect there to be any issues with getting it started.

but I suppose a better place to set a good market value would be in another forum.

best place to find true market value is on ebay with no reserve. got the balls to do that? :)

340 4spd demon?? In really nice shape and an AZ car, its definitely a high teens car! I agree with the 10-12k price being a joke....and I also agree to not sell on here with the amt of bs that may go along with it.

Good luck!

you will also need a ton more pictures.. and better ones then the crappy ones that really don't show much you posted here.. under carriage and under hood would be nice along with in the trunk.

You can probably get 20k if its stock with the t quad, int/ exh manifolds, and idle solinoid in place. That's if you get it running and driving good, clean and detailed to the MAX, and take very hi quality pics and a lot of them, paint will have to be very presentable for that 20k.

Also investing a grand or so in things like making sure the gauges work, all lights and electrical work, trunk jack and spare etc Are present and maybe a set of rally rims might get you an extra 2 or 3k. Make sure if everything works properly you say so in the ad a big turn off is a nice car with a list of " small " problems.

I agree with this as well. Currently as it sits $12-$15K... I currently have 4 Demon's myself and based on the few pics and the description I would have several questions on this car if you listed it at $20K -- At $20K I would need answers on the following:
Why is the 4spd shifter not a stock shifter?
Why does it have the base model rubber side trim and not side stripes. Was it a factory side strip delete car?
The hood strip from the pictures looks wrong or I just can see it. It looks like it is missing the trim line around the strip?
Why does it not have rallies?
Do you have the build sheet and the sales order sheet?
Is the engine & trans original and matching numbers?
Where are the sport mirrors?
***The build sheet, any documentation, and fender tag could confirm a lot of this.

@ $20K it needs to run and drive, and function 100% and be correct. As someone who just focuses on Demon's these would be the initial questions, other wise it looks like a very nice Demon. $20K might be a stretch though in this market.

Abodyjoe is right though the only way to get a true value is Ebay it with no reserve... but that takes a big set of balls!

Good luck with your sale, with a little work you'll get a good price for it.

The wiring you guys all see hanging is from the aftermarket gauges installed by the P.O. Not a factory wiring concern, just a sloppy routing job.

I dislike the wheels as well. lol. They have a Shelby logo on them.

The drive train is original (numbers matching). There are receipts for whatever work, but I can't recall any engine work done. I'll have to dig through it all again.

thanks for the comments.

Darren

Post the fender tag info. Also what history do you have in terms of ownership?

You need to fix the items you listed - also, get the correct factory wheels, and fix a number of the items that need attention. From the pictures looks like the glove box lock is not fastened properly, Rallye gauge bezel is flaking and the front bumper is missing some pieces on the drivers side. What is the ground wire doing hanging down from the steering column? And the other bundle of wires close to the A/C unit?

The price you can expect - is $12-15K and up depending on what needs attention. A fresh, perfect - new - original nut and bolt top notch restoration of a 1971 Duster 340, Fe5, 4 speed with MANY new original parts recently could not bring $25K. Car is extremely high quality and completely finished in all the factory platings for components. Use this as a measure.

The Duster was listed on Ebay and topped out at $25K. The owner has receipts for more than $30K in parts alone, no labor included. Here is the link to the Duster for reference: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=234258

Is the drivetrain original to your car, how fresh and what does the car need to be close to 100%?

On all other areas of the car, assess your car based on what you see on the 1971 Duster 340 that is 100% new and done.
Before you posted pictures of the car, I would have recommended that fix the interior items I mentioned earlier so that those do not raise questions about any electrical issues with the car. Put you best foot forward first rather than having to justify the issues exposed by the photos.

Post that info. and we will be happy to help you with more info.

I agree with this as well. Currently as it sits $12-$15K... I currently have 4 Demon's myself and based on the few pics and the description I would have several questions on this car if you listed it at $20K -- At $20K I would need answers on the following:
Why is the 4spd shifter not a stock shifter?
Why does it have the base model rubber side trim and not side stripes. Was it a factory side strip delete car?
The hood strip from the pictures looks wrong or I just can see it. It looks like it is missing the trim line around the strip?
Why does it not have rallies?
Do you have the build sheet and the sales order sheet?
Is the engine & trans original and matching numbers?
Where are the sport mirrors?
***The build sheet, any documentation, and fender tag could confirm a lot of this.

@ $20K it needs to run and drive, and function 100% and be correct. As someone who just focuses on Demon's these would be the initial questions, other wise it looks like a very nice Demon. $20K might be a stretch though in this market.

Abodyjoe is right though the only way to get a true value is Ebay it with no reserve... but that takes a big set of balls!

Good luck with your sale, with a little work you'll get a good price for it.
not all demons had the thin border stripe, that hood looks correct except for the 340 emblems on the scoop

20k will get a done demon with those credentials. Not trying to start the urinary olympics.

-
Back