Looking for advice: 71 Demon 340,4spd, AC, original metal car

-
I searched a very long time for an original metal Demon 340/4 speed. They weren't that easy to come by in 2008.

not all demons had the thin border stripe, that hood looks correct except for the 340 emblems on the scoop

Without the thin strip meant it was repainted over the years and it was painted wrong... Do your home work on this one. Check the sales data, brochures etc, All Demons that came from the factory with hood stripes had the thin line border. If the car doesn't have the thin line they were repainted incorrectly over the years.

Attachments

• 71_Dart_Demon0015.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 323
  • 71dmnbrc.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 336
Yes, the hood has been painted. The Demon decals are incorrectly placed as well. The wheels are ugly as heck :D. None of that mattered to me to be honest.

Without the thin strip meant it was repainted over the years and it was painted wrong... Do your home work on this one. Check the sales data, brochures etc, All Demons that came from the factory with hood stripes had the thin line border. If the car doesn't have the thin line they were repainted incorrectly over the years.

Don't let anyone bust your balls. It is a car I've looked for forever. You'll hear all the bs about green but ignore it. If I had another 10 grand I'd own it.

I like it!! I'm with these guys at about $14k as is,'more ready to jump in and drive!! Nice car...trades??

:D
your wrong do some research. I'm sure some on here will chime in that know demons before I can get home to show proof.

:D your wrong do some research. I'm sure some on here will chime in that know demons before I can get home to show proof.

Can you please PM the proof. I've studied and built nothing but Demons for the last 17 yrs and all the documentation I have states the thin line should be there. I'm always looking to learn and update my references so please me your docs that show otherwise. Thanks!

Rule #1 with Mopar. Never use "always" and "never".
As we know weird things happened when building these cars.

Can you please PM the proof. I've studied and built nothing but Demons for the last 17 yrs and all the documentation I have states the thin line should be there. I'm always looking to learn and update my references so please me your docs that show otherwise. Thanks!
I've got you beat by 6 years on Demon research. my demon did not have the thin border line I've seen others as well not sure why, most had the border but some did not, maybe the factory was looking to cut time out or there was a certain percent with borders that came out messed up but my car was owned by one of the moderators of this site in 1973 it wasn't repainted till 1980. this pic is from 1975. original paint.

Attachments

• demon 001 (1280x931).jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 287
heres a pic that was in a muscle car reveiw a year or 3 ago its a out take from hot rod or something from may of 71, Norm was handing the keys over to a writer who was doing a story on the 71 GSS demon and driving it cross country. very clear from the pic the blackout has no boarder. I'm sure other experienced guys on this site will chime in also, but when i repaint my car I'm going to leave the border off and paint it like it came from the factory, can't wait for the know it all's to tell me i made a mistake on my hood paint! LOL

Attachments

• norms demon 001.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 298
you cant go by this pic also, this was done in mid 1970 before the car was even being built, if you have a real copy in hand you will notice the hood blackout dementions are off, the demon 340 decals on the sides are superimposed, and the side stripe is missing the front point on the fender extensions.

Attachments

• demon.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 267
I think EL5DEMON340 sums it up .Great job !! I think if we could get a look at the fender tag , engine and trans numbers this could be a sold car .As far as the shifter handle possibly out of an overdrive , but could have been changed 25 years ago,simple job to install that inexpensive piece. Also who knows right!!! things happen to cars over time and different owners in 42 years .And as far as price , i would not give it away for 10 grand , thats just not right.

I agree with el5. Not just because his car is the same color as mine. Lol.
but i have also seen the borderless hood stripes on original paint demons. One was an original red mr. Norms tri power car with no miles and original paint.

I still stand with my value of 12 grand AS IS.
I said do the small amount of work it needs and it will get maybe 20 grand if you find the right buyer.
If you have a lot of documentation to go with the car and it is very original, runs and drives like new, then you might get into the low 20's. (to the right buyer)
The prices for these cars has gone down since 2008 when the feeding frenzy for older muscle cars was in full swing.
The market just isn't that strong for these cars anymore, they are being bought up to enjoy and not particularly as investments these days.
There are a lot of great deals out there, it's a buyer's market.
It's a very nice car, just the wrong time to get big dollars for it.
Good luck with the sale, i hope you get what you are asking.

There are at least two places to establish what the car is worth - either do what abodyjoe said and put it on ebay with no reserve, or bring it to Chryslers @ Carlisle next weekend starting Thursday.

Speculation is just that - what someone actually pays is something entirely different.

You've gotten all the advice you need - and I think Dartnut, kimmer and abodyjoe gave you great advice - if you are serious about unloading the car - put the car out there in the marketplace and see what it brings today.

EL5DEMON340 -- Thanks for the pics and info. i always appreciate learning something new on Demon's and after all my years with Demons that was definitely a new one for me. -- Thanks demon34071

You know, its more money than I PERSONALLY would pay.... I also feel it could bring 12-14 as it is, but I LOVE the green, and it looks at least in these pictures, to be pretty damn nice....I could see a weekend worth of work to make it ready to go, AWSOME car!

I was wondering when it would appear on the market...I looked at it a year and a half ago and was a bit interested at the time. I'll have to look back at my emails and see what kind of numbers we talked at the time...

-
Back