looking for cam advice for a 73 318

-

SirDan

Reaction score
The motor is currently stock with stock manifolds and a dual exhaust with a H pipe. plans for the future are: edelbrock torker manifold, some kind of 4 barrel probaly a 600cfm edelbrock performer carb, 3.23 sure grip 8 3/4, O.D 4 speed.

Im not looking to go crazy with this motor. id just like to give it some more pep untill i can get around/afford to build up a motor. I was hoping to go with something cheap. I liked the prices of these summit ones but im not sure if any are right for my application.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/year/1973/make/DODGE/model/DART/Engine-Size/5-2L-318/Part-Type/Camshafts/Brand/Summit-Racing/?Ns=Rank|Asc

i dont necisarily have a set price range to be honest but, the cheaper the better. i also figured summit has decent quality stuff.

The small Summit cam and lifters, a timing set, and a swap meet Performaer 318/360 topped with an Edelbrock 600 and I'd be done.

Skip the Torker manifold and use the above mentioned Edel. Performer or a Weiand action plus or even a factory 4bbl.

Then, what Moper said as well as 1W&CG, headers would be nice, but not mandaorty.

i knew someone was going to tell me to ditch the manifold. i paid 20 bucks for it. its gotta be better than the factory 2 barrel rite? im not looking for the "best" combination for a stock 318 bottom end. im looking for the best cam for what i allready have. :thumbup: but thanks for all the advice.

**Edit**

also i need lifters correct if i install the cam? I need hydraulic flat tappet lifters rite? and id need 16 of them rite? sorry never done a cam in a LA engine. Ill check out some articles on cam swaps before i try and do this.

So clean it up and sell it for $60 and take another $20 to a swap and buy a Performer 318/360...lol. It is a 4bbl intake. It is not a good one for a mild 318. It might work up to your expectations. But you asked for a recipe that works and for my expectations, it wouldn't...lol.

Well, the Torker line is a low level single plane intake designed for a RPM band of 2500 - 6500 RPM's. Cams that operate in this area or a healthy cam designed to increase power alot, not alittle bit. With durations that start at or about (Brind dependent, but in general, close enuff) 236* @ .050, you'll need a good jump in compresion in order to get things going right.

That intake is a great "On the cheap" intake to start racing or get a "On the Cheap" read light bandit up and going without cutting up the hood.

The 318 ia advertised at, what? 8-1 or 8.5-1? BUT, if you mic it out, it'll be in the 7-1 area for sure.

Once you install the intake, you'll drop the vacuum signal and the small cam will not be able to pull much. IF Your looking at a bigger cam it will reduce vacuum even more. That cam you listed is barley above stock.

Performance tanks even more since the compresion ratio is low is now made even lower due to the larger cam because of it's timing events. About this time, it's going to be able to run on cheap Vodka or yak piss. It'll feel like a 6-1 ratio. Junk, garbage.

Dollors to douhnuts, a 2bbl. will out run you until the big end, which by then, for you, it'll be to late to catch up. Your sunk and shot down by what you actually started out with.

You'll be offered jeers and sarcastic congards for building a crap combo and highly embarrassed.

Seriously, take the advice of Moper and 1W&CG ! These two guys have been here awhile and I can say, easy, when it comes to doing builds, there good. Moper builds them on top of it. He's in the trenchs of the shop getting greasy. That there in itself is a great reason why you should be following his advice.

1W&CG and myself echo his advice.

+1 on advice given, not super crazy about any of those cams though, but price is right for "on the cheap"

Keep in mind you will need new lifters and possibly new valve springs too - and don't forget to add break-in additive when running that cam in

Good mention junkie.

Get the cam and lifter kit from summit. Ask them about valve springs at the cam purchase time. A new timing chain is money well spent now that I think about it.

A mild port, 1 5/8" headers, 600 cfm performer or Thermoquad and 340 cam PN 2899206 or Comp cams equivalent, they even have a free software to help you "design" your engine. Just to get an idea of performance gain. I got two secons off stock 1/4 mile time (stock 318 was slooowwwww). Idle is good as well as gas consumption. Good luck.

Good mention junkie.

Get the cam and lifter kit from summit. Ask them about valve springs at the cam purchase time. A new timing chain is money well spent now that I think about it.

The more we kick this around the more expensive it will get cause once you are in there doing it there are so many things that you "might as well" update "while you are in there" like:
-timing chain set (with gears)
-water pump and hoses
-thermostat
-valve stem seals since you will be doing springs
-dist cap and rotor, maybe plug wires
-new spark plugs
-top end gasket kit

Plus the carb and dist will need to be tuned for the new combo, so add kits/parts for that... No end when looking for practical performance

Also make sure the summit cam has the fuel pump eccentric provision

BTW, you can call me OJ ;)

actually, I changed my post...I'm not sure who owned it. I assumed.......lol

good idea on the comp test

-
Back