Looking for pictures of a518 install

-

dusterglenn

Reaction score
I'm looking for pictures of eveyone's a518 install. The more the better. Lots of guys have done it, and there's lots of opinions on the swap. I'm looking for cold hard facts in the form of pictures.
I have a rebuilt a518 on the floor of the garage at home, so I'm not interested in Keisler, 4L60, TKO, 4 speed, or T5 swaps, just a500 & a518s.
Yes I have searched. And, yes there are picutures in each of the dozens of threads. I just wanted to create one large source of pictures all in one thread.
Thanks in advance.

I once had hard copies of those pictures in my posession. dbdartman mailed 'em to me because he couldn't post them online. I promply lost them for a couple of months, causing some stress because there were no duplicates. I did eventually find them, and mailed 'em back to him.

I've read, and heard from a few people that the swap can be done without cutting the floor, and that's what interests me. I'm not opposed to cutting the floor, I just don't want to cut a HUGE hole.

my understanding is that the driveline angle is off with out doing some cutting, but that is just from researching it myself. i will be going with a unit you are not interested in, so what I will be having done to my car will be of no help to you.....good luck....

I once had hard copies of those pictures in my posession. dbdartman mailed 'em to me because he couldn't post them online. I promply lost them for a couple of months, causing some stress because there were no duplicates. I did eventually find them, and mailed 'em back to him.

I've read, and heard from a few people that the swap can be done without cutting the floor, and that's what interests me. I'm not opposed to cutting the floor, I just don't want to cut a HUGE hole.

yea dave will tell ya himself that if he did it again that it wouldn't need half the cutting. the main thing you need to cut is that piece of frame that goes over the trans . it needs to be raised some is really all ya need dave says. i drove his dart and man is it sweet with that OD. its so cruisable and it has 3:91 gears..

my understanding is that the driveline angle is off with out doing some cutting, but that is just from researching it myself. i will be going with a unit you are not interested in, so what I will be having done to my car will be of no help to you.....good luck....

what unit are youy going with? i've been looking into a ford AOD myself.

a gm4l80e with a quicktime bellhousing. needs only minimal work to survive behind 750-800 horsepower, transgo makes a kit for it to run it full manual, but i will be using a fast efi setup as well as a tci trans controller. not to mention even at that power level i supposedly, according to Len at ultimate covertors as well as a few others, will still be able to run lock up. so i will still be able to have 3500 or so stall with an od to keep the revs in the 2200 range with no troubles....

Instead of removing the upper brace, which I imagine is a PITA, could you get away with cutting the brace just where it hits and fill it in with new steel?

518-0.jpg

There is or was a thread somewhere showing the tunnel mod and the homemade cross member trans support section.

-
Back