Looking for some help comparing 2 cams

-

DMC_78

Reaction score
Hey everyone, looking for some help comparing 2 cams. Building a 5.9 mag for my D100. I was thinking about going with the Hughes SER1822ALN-10, it’s a long snout cam with 218/222 duration @50 on a 110 LSA, installed 106, 539 and .549 for lift. Cam events are intake opens 3BTC and closes 35 ABC, exhaust opens 45 BBC and and closes -3ATC. I see 318willrun’s build with a similar cam in his truck that has my attention. It’s a Oregon grinder cam #1634 with 218/224 duration at 50 on a 110lsa, installed at 106/114. Cam events are Intake open 3 BTDC and closes at 35 ABDC, exhaust opens 46 BBDC and closes -2 ATDC. Lift is similar but a little less in this cam.
I don’t dont how to compare cams other than duration @50 and lift, and these cams are close in that regard. Any help with the cam events to compare would be great.

build is 5.9 magnum with fresh hone from the machine shop, square decked with pistons down the hole about .047. .028 head gaskets with EQ heads with 2.02 valves, Hughes springs, good valve job and bowl blend. Eddy air gap rpm for LA, and a 670 Holley. Gears in the truck will be 3.73 with 28.8 inch tires and a 518 OD trans.

converter will be bought last to optimize set up.
Any help on figuring out the the differences between the two cams for my application would be awesome, thanks everyone.

i want the truck to be something I can cruise around with some good muscle. Not looking to drag race.
In my solid lifter Stroker build for my four-wheel drive truck I opted for something I could still use the stock torque converter with and would idle with vacuum and lots of torque to get the heavy monster moving.. that's where you're going to feel it most in the city of pants with a daily driver..
But again I have this conversation with Ken and went with his recommendation. I've not went with his recommendation in the past was happy but in the end had my Cam re ground to his recommendation for my Duster and now I'm happy..

You likely won’t notice the difference between those two cams. I’d be more worried about your quench height. 075 puts you right in the middle of the detonation zone.

You likely won’t notice the difference between those two cams. I’d be more worried about your quench height. 075 puts you right in the middle of the detonation zone.
Really eh? It’s basically stock bottom end with an .008 cut to square it up and a thin head gasket.
I could run a stock head gasket if needed.

For a light car with gears and a converter I wouldn’t worry too much about it but for a truck with a little more weight and a stock converter (and overdrive) I would.

You sure you're on track with the 3.73 gears, using the O/D is now 2.61 final ratio. Speed limit in Canada IS 110k.

For a light car with gears and a converter I wouldn’t worry too much about it but for a truck with a little more weight and a stock converter (and overdrive) I would.

I see, yeah the truck is about 3850lbs with me in there.

You sure you're on track with the 3.73 gears, using the O/D is now 2.61 final ratio. Speed limit in Canada IS 110k.

i thought it would give me a cruise between 1600 to 2100 RPM.

I can give Ken a call tomorrow and make sure the cam fits the bill or see what he recommends.

Do you know what compression you're going to be running? If you're going to run a 518, get some 4.10 gears under it. I say this because all the half tons trucks seen with a 518 had 3.90 or 4.10. Here in the mountains, the .69 overdrive is unhappy with anything past 31 inches of tire under 60mph with 4.10s. You can expect an inch of tire growth at highway speed for a practical cruise diameter of 30 inches. But if you can get a decent 2800 stall lockup converter built and have enough compression for it, either of those two cams would work well with a 4.10 and 29 inches of tire. I myself would go with the Hughes installed at 102 ICL, and if you could get it on a 108 it would be even better.

Last edited:
i thought it would give me a cruise between 1600 to 2100 RPM.

I can give Ken a call tomorrow and make sure the cam fits the bill or see what he recommends.
He's usually in about 10:00 a.m. West Coast time..

Agree with TT5, very little difference & would probably he hard for the butt-meter to tell the difference. Get the cheapest.

-
Back