Looking for suggestions on new leafs

-

BadAss71

Let's Go Brandon
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm needing a set of new leaf springs for my Valiant. The leafs in it now are just plain worn out. I want a set that have a decent ride and aren't too stiff. I have had a set of super stocks in the past and they were a bit much for me. Too stiff and lifted the car way too high for my liking. Maybe a new set of stockers would be fine. I plan on running cal tracks as well since the car will see periodic track duty. Thoughts?

Generalspring.com has great prices and customer service.

I installed a set of Espo springs (Springs-n-things) for someone on a 70 Dart and they were happy with the ride and height...

They make them in different ride heights for your preference...

I installed a set of Espo springs (Springs-n-things) for someone on a 70 Dart and they were happy with the ride and height...

They make them in different ride heights for your preference...

Ditto

You can also get springs from Calvert. I have no experience with them.

Take them to a "reputable" spring shop and have them add a 6th leaf and re-arch them to stock specs.

Thanks guys for all the info. I contacted espo this afternoon and looks like they may be the way to go. I can get a 5 leaf set for $185 and a 6 leaf set for $225. Very reasonable. I contacted a local place called Spec Track and they wanted $275.00 to disassemble the pack and re arc the main spring. One day turnaround. I'm thinking that the 5 leaf set from espo is the way to go, but I'm also thinking the 6 leaf set may be the ticket as well. The car has an additional 15 gallon fuel tank that feeds the original 24 gallon tank, and with it completely full of fuel, the rear sags quite a bit. I think the 6 leaf set would hold the weight better. Thoughts?

Local spring shop by me quoted adding a leaf section for $35 per side... I am in the same boat, buy new ones or have a local shop add a leaf. Need to get the dana under the car to see how shes gonna sit before I add anything to the existing springs...

Thanks guys for all the info. I contacted espo this afternoon and looks like they may be the way to go. I can get a 5 leaf set for $185 and a 6 leaf set for $225. Very reasonable. I contacted a local place called Spec Track and they wanted $275.00 to disassemble the pack and re arc the main spring. One day turnaround. I'm thinking that the 5 leaf set from espo is the way to go, but I'm also thinking the 6 leaf set may be the ticket as well. The car has an additional 15 gallon fuel tank that feeds the original 24 gallon tank, and with it completely full of fuel, the rear sags quite a bit. I think the 6 leaf set would hold the weight better. Thoughts?

Espo is a good choice. I would get the 6 leaf set. I bought the 5 leaf set and they did settle a bit more than I liked. My car came with 6 leaf but I ordered the new ones without looking to make sure. Here's a shot of mine with the 5 leaf after a few years.

Attachments

• 001a.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 233
I recently got a pair of extra heavy duty springs from Mancini Racing. Right now they are $235 per set and will give you a 1 inch lift over the stock springs.

If you thought Super Stock springs were a bit much, you won't like Caltracs. They are noisy and dramatically limit spring travel. They are as bad or worse than running a pinion snubber that touches the floor pan.

I plan on running caltracs on this 72 I am building but they will be homemade... One thing I considered was running a piece of hose over the sleeve that contacts the leaf spring - idea being give it some sort of cushion vs metal to metal... Will have to see how that all comes together once I get them built and mocked up, may not be necessary if they have any preload. Have not heard of them being an issue banging around or being noisy...?

I would recommend the Espo 6 leafs then.

I prefer the MP super stock springs that lift the rear a bit.

But the Espo springs-n-things were very helpful with support when we had a few issues installing them. We called them 4-5 times that day and they answered a phone mail in less than 10 minutes the time we couldn't get them on the phone. It would have been much harder to get it figured out without their support (even for small issues they were patient with us...)... Their customer support gets an A+

Here's the write-up that I did on it:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=326833

My biggest issue was that they sent slightly longer bushings for the rear shackles. I didn't know that they made them in two sizes; stock and a little longer...

I was concerned that the longer ones would fight me more when putting it back together with the extra material. I guess that it helps for the long run, but I didn't want to hassle with the extra interference when putting the shackles back together.

I like the stock ones, as that is what I've used for decades with no problems.

Luckily I had a spare set of standard ones in my spare parts drawer in my tool box...

So be aware that there are two sizes for the rear shackle bushings and order whichever ones that you prefer. :???:

But keep in mind that Espo springs-things will help support you after the sale if you have any installation issues. That means alot today... :farao:

-
Back