Looking for valve spring recommendation for EQ heads

-

hemichuck

Reaction score
i picked up a set of EQ heads with valves and I’m getting ready to assemble them for my 408 Magnum. The cam I have will have right around 550 lift with 1.7 roller rockers I have. Who makes a good valve spring and retainer for this application.

Let's review. You have gotten this far in your build. Bought a cam. Bought 1.7 rocker arms. And you just start now to think about valve springs? No mention of what type of lifters you are using? You need to supply more & have better info before you ask questions like this. I'll start the guessing game with stock 273 springs. And we can go up from their.

Exactly. Give us more info. It's like askin "hay guys, I'm lookin for a sportin gal. I like girls."

Give us ALL the cam specs. Flat tappet, roller, hyd, solid. You know, all that important stuff you left slap the FARK out?

You might even include the style of locks and the length of the valve. People have even been know to change the valve stem diameter in EQ heads, though I don't know who would even think of that............ahem. Do you have the ability to do spring seat modifications in the head?

You might even include the style of locks and the length of the valve. People have even been know to change the valve stem diameter in EQ heads, though I don't know who would even think of that............ahem.
Yeah, had a set of eqs in my shop that hughes engines built, with longer valves...can you say "horrible geometry"

OK, the motor is a 1993 5.9 magnum block bored .030 with a 4” Scat forged crank, Eagle I beam rods and forged Pistons with a 17cc dish. The blocks not decked so I don’t know how far they will be in the hole yet. I will include a photo of the cam card. I have a couple laying around but the one I plan on using is a comp cams hydraulic roller that is 506 gross valve lift with 1.6 rockers, I’m using 1.7 Harland sharps so the lift will be around 536, duration at .050 is 216 on the intake and 224 on the exhaust. The heads are the EQ’s with the LA intake pattern, the valves are stock length and I will have to go take them out of the box to see what kind of locks they take. I have about 6 intakes I can use but it will probably have an LD340 or a performer RPM Airgap This motor is going into a 1978 Dodge stepside pickup with a 727 and a 3.23 gear that will just be a driver, not a racer.

0B14FEE1-F483-4820-8CFB-F6BC4D80DEE8.jpeg

Unless the spring seats are cut or have other modifications to the heads/stem lengths and rockers somebody might be introducing retainers to stem seals.

I bought new bare EQ heads, aftermarket standard diameter and length Magnum valves, the Hughes spring kit as linked above. I sourced ordinary blue viton seals for for magnum heads. Shop honed the guides, did the valve job, and set the installed height of the springs. No spring seat or guide cutting needed. I'm at .517" lift ,intake and exhaust with plenty of seal to retainer clearance. If your at .536" you're within the range Hughes lists, but obviously it's all gotta be checked, along with the spring pressures.:)

another thing to consider: with 4" stroke, 17cc dish and a kinda small camshaft there could be trouble with detonation....check static / dynamic compression ratio.

Michael

Unless the spring seats are cut or have other modifications to the heads/stem lengths and rockers somebody might be introducing retainers to stem seals.
I'm kinda doing the same build and Cool concerned with the retainer to guide
Clearance
What's the height on the Guide with factory casting
I'm thinking mine have already been cut
Just wanna make sure
Thanks

I'm kinda doing the same build and Cool concerned with the retainer to guide
Clearance
What's the height on the Guide with factory casting
I'm thinking mine have already been cut
Just wanna make sure
Thanks

Not sure I remember, but I do know the factory EQ head with standard length valve stems has a limit of about .530 lift (give or take a little) with the Hughes 1110 springs and the retainers and locks made for a little extra lift clearance .
I didn't have my seats cut or longer valves, so I kept it at .512 to be well within the safe range.

Hughes is recommending this for me on a 5.9 Mopar Performance magnum crate....all stock...with the spring upgrade.
SER1418ALN10.jpg

-
Back