Looking for valve train noise help!

-

speedster

Reaction score
Ok, here's the problem. I bought this '71 Duster with a built 340 in it for a reasonable price. It had been raced by previous owner I was told. The 8" turbo action torque convertor fried on me causing me to have a more streetable lower stall convertor put in. The car wouldn't idle worth a crap afterward because of the large cam and smaller convertor and I had to 2 foot it when stopping. I ordered a slightly smaller cam (Comp cam Magnum) and new hydraulic lifters and installed them. The car seems to run fine and still plenty of power but I cannot get the Crane Gold roller rockers to quiet down! I followed thier manufactured guidlines to adjust them, tried to adjust them according to Comp cam specs and even tried 0 lash +.20 they are just noisy now. Plenty of oil being pumped.Any ideas would be appreciated. Is it mandatory to face the oil hole of the lifter upward when installing? New cam has .480 lift, kept same pushrods (upon advise from summit tech)
Thanks

what's was the first cam ,and rocker set? Whenever, I go through this parts swapping gig,I check everything. As for trusting a phone line tech,its a gamble. Let's start there.A video running, would be priceless.

Hi Abodybomber, The Crane Gold roller rockers (which came on the car and I'm still trying to use are) 1.5 shaft mounted. The camshaft I removed had a lift of .540 thats the info I got from the past owner who gave me limited info. I have the numbers off the camshaft if anyone can decipher them. I will try to get a video with sound on here if I can. Thanks for any help!

Does'nt the lifter oil hole go towards the cam?
I seem to remember something about that and top end oiling recently.

I'm tired, long day...:D. But I'm being sincere here...What are you guys talking about as far as a lifter oil hole facing a certain direction? Do you mean the shaft placement, up/down?

I was told it was important to install hydraulic lifters with the oil hole pointing to the intake but didnt know if it were true. Lets hear your wisdom!

hydraulic lifters have to rotate in their bore..otherwise the cam lobe goes flat...so it does not matter where the oil hole is pointing or facing...since it is going to rotate...

did you take a hydraulic cam out and replace it with another hydraulic cam...?

Hi 70aarcuda, Yes I swapped in a slightly smaller cam and new lifters. Kept the same pushrods. Car runs fine, plenty of oil pumping but very noisy after preloading lifters. I may have to calculate new pushrod length and replace the originals. What do you think.

What method are you using to set the preload ? Following firing order method or exhaust opening intake closing method ?

hydraulic lifters have to rotate in their bore..otherwise the cam lobe goes flat...so it does not matter where the oil hole is pointing or facing...since it is going to rotate...

did you take a hydraulic cam out and replace it with another hydraulic cam...?

I thought I remembered it being about some roller lifters.
Hell, I'm probably wrong anyway.:D

Nothing blowing up tonight, lol . I'm thinking,run the sweep ,on the valve train (valve tops,centered) Needs to be done any way.

Skrews, I am using Exhaust opening intake closing method. Is there a better way I should be doing this?
Thanks!

Skrews, I am using Exhaust opening intake closing method. Is there a better way I should be doing this?
Thanks!
Nope thats the best method. You might look at the ends of your adjusters. Are they wearing down ? They will have a nub on the bottom if they are wearing. I had this happen to me years ago. Couldn't maintain lash on my solid cam, thought my cam was going flat but it was the adjuster screws. Crane is notorious for this.

If everything else checks out I'd be looking at the lifters they are renowned for being noisy.

If everything keeps checking out fine with lash and adjustments, you may want to consider the oil.
If an oil is a little light it will cause this same issue (what sounds like noisy lifters) but have good oil flow.
Just like if the oil were to heavy you would have poor oil flow and noise.

That's just my thought, only because I have to run 2 different oils here for cold and warm months.

Good luck

make sure the rockers dont touch the valve cover`s baffles. it happened to me. also , i dont understand what you mean by saying zero lash + .20. an hydraulic cam needs preload. good luck .

-
Back