looking for your advice on coilovers

-

03ramit1

Reaction score
im installing a ladder bar and coilover set up on my 75 duster. the problem i have is that without a bunch of sheet metal removal i cannot mount them to the rear of the axle tube. will it be ok to mount them on the front they are QA1 single adjustable coilovers. this car will see street and strip use. (mostly strip use though) any thoughts on mounting them on the front of the axle tubes. any problems for chassis tuning? thanks for the help guys.

i installed QA1 coil over shocks on my 71 Dart, ..here is a couple of pictures of what I did...I also install full tubs...

Attachments

• Picture 4464a.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 180
i cut a section out of the trunk floor to fit the coil over behind the axle.

Attachments

• Picture 4465a.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 174
I cut a piece of sheet metal and covered the hole in the trunk....

I am in the process of installing ladder bars on a 71 Demon...got the bars tack welded in tonight....and will be doing the coil over shocks again...later this week I hope...

Having problems with an old welder.....lol

thanks for the pics. Looks like I might be going the sameway you did. I need to cut out the trunk for the fuel cell anyway, so I might just cut it out a little bigger and then renstall one big panel to rebuild the trunk floor.

although I'm still looking for a reason as to why I can or can't mount the coilovers on the front of the axle

From all the research I've done on this topic, you actually get better launch control with the coil overs mounted in front of the axle since the spring is trying to compress and not expand like it would behind the axle, check out some of the reputable suspension builders like RMS, thats where theres are....hope this helps...Maybe some experienced suspension guys will give some replys

behind the axle is not a big deal. In fornt of the axle is not a big deal. I need to know why. And not because that's what everyone else does. I want to know what makes them work better, or worse for a given location. I have a real hard time accepting where to put them, "just because" I was hopeing someone could point me in the right direction. And the reason why.

70aar I can't see pdf files on my phone so if you gave a reason why I'll see it later today after I get home.

the pdf file is from chris altson chassis works...they have a how to install ladder bars article...just some info...

cal QA1 and ask there opinion for the shock installation...

-
Back