Looking to upgrade 69 Dart wiring

-

Brian Arcella

Reaction score
During the tear down of the engine compartment I removed the wiring harness and evaluated it and much like the rest of the car it too was victim of butchery , nothing new on a car this old as I am sure your all aware of, so I have been looking at OEM style under hood wiring harness to keep that original look but now I am thinking that it may be the smart move to replace the under dash wiring as well, is there anyone who offers an original style replacement harness that retains the bulkhead connectors and who uses the modern fuses?
I have installed dozens of painless and American auto wire kits (the only one's I will use) but they do not use the bulkhead connector I would much rather use a plug n play harness than have to cut and adapt the bulkhead connectors

Thanks for your assistance as always its greatly appreciated

I don't know off the top of my head but I have seen OEM correct harnesses. IIRC the engine harness is or can be bought with ECU and electronic voltage regulator even for 67

I'm thinking I saw it on classics website

M&H makes a plug n play repop harness. Exact duplicate of OEM. They do not make any of the sub harnesses like light package etc.

M&H makes a plug n play repop harness. Exact duplicate of OEM. They do not make any of the sub harnesses like light package etc.
Yes I found them last night seems like nice stuff kind of pricey but its something you can't compromise on that being said I will be cleaning the original harness up for a closer look

Yes I found them labor intensive.
I would say not so much labor intensive as it is tedious wiring is something I find very easy to do always have and have gotten to be quite good at it simply because I enjoy it, I just say to guys who are really hesitant if you can read a road map ( yeah dating myself) then you can read a schematic and wire a car

I would say not so much labor intensive as it is tedious wiring is something I find very easy to do always have and have gotten to be quite good at it simply because I enjoy it, I just say to guys who are really hesitant if you can read a road map ( yeah dating myself) then you can read a schematic and wire a car
I love doing it also. But it still takes a lot of time to install one of these kits.

Yes I found them last night seems like nice stuff kind of pricey but its something you can't compromise on that being said I will be cleaning the original harness up for a closer look

Yes Pricey but!

Piece of mind and plug and play are worth much in the end! JMO!

I went that road and all the happier for it!

Do you want Custom radio, gauges and such. If so the aftermarket, make your own harnesses are the way to go for you!

If you want stock no pain and enjoy then save your cash and buy M&H! Either with point or electronic versions!

Last edited:
I replaced all of the wiring in my '69 Dart with oem harnesses. Up graded the engine harness for electronic ignition, all plug and play. Don't recall if it was Classic Industries or Year One. Absolutely plug and play, no regrets. If you go the electronic route, you do have to go square back alt and 4 prong ballast and of course, the module and dist, but all plug and play.

YearOne has exclusive rights to the Chrysler muscle car era wiring harnesses. They commission M&H to manufacture the harnesses, if you decide to go that route, wait until YearOne has a 30% off sale.

YearOne has exclusive rights to the Chrysler muscle car era wiring harnesses. They commission M&H to manufacture the harnesses, if you decide to go that route, wait until YearOne has a 30% off sale.
I have M&H harnesses for both barracudas. I waited till Year one ran sales to get them.

Thanks for the input guys as always very much
appreciated, I spent all of yesterday moving and rehearing cars and equipment in my shop so I can make room for the Dart to finally get into the heavy work, one task is to inspect the dash wiring, one option I thought about was running a painless harness through the bulkhead connectors to make it appear as a stock harness I was informed by the guy I spoke with at Painless that there were issues with those connectors melting? A lot more work but approx half the cost of M&H but not disparaging Painless a great product sometimes you do get what you pay for, its just that the more I dig into this car the larger the cost gets I have to fight the urge to cut corners and pinch pennies and do an inferior job. In short I refuse to ad to the butchery.
You guys have given me a lot of food for thought all good all appreciate

Have you talked to the guys at American auto wire? Their classic update is pricey but uses a bulkhead connector, modern fuses and is a very complete kit. They sell top of the line stuff.

The only reason the connectors melt is degraded connections, and running an ammeter connection through the bulkhead. If I were you I would research converting the ammeter to volts using a 2" sun volt gage for the guts, and running an ammeter bypass

I did 2 painless harnesses. They arent painless, but not too terrible either. However that being said, they were for vehicles that you cannot get a repop harness for. 1960 El Camino , and 1963 Dodge Town Panel. Since a repop harness is available for your dart, I'd suggest you save up and wait for sales to get it piece by piece. Everything is plug n play, no guesswork, even color code was the same. The El Camino I did, I was lucky enough to have a GM schematic and was able to trace the wiring, then transfer to the new color code used in the painless setup. This way I was able to pin the stock connectors to the OEM switches. You have to have a pretty good understanding of how all that works to do that. The 63 dodge I had to ohm out all the switches to figure out what pins do what. My 67 and my sons 69, it was a no brainers. New M&H harnesses that I modded for an ammeter bypass, and convert the amp gages to volts. Sure they are more money, but less hassle

I agree with waiting for a sale on an oem harness. You may wait for 2 or 3 mos if they are out of stock. You probably know that mopars harnesses are all separate, 3 out under the hood, dash, taillights, dome light, heater or a/c.
Good Luck!
Didn't know about the single harness for a '67, but my '69 is all separate, wiper and trans too.

Last edited:
67 dart, the under hood harness should be 1 piece. Only seperate pieces would be battery cables

The painless harnesses also only give power in feeds to things like your heater blower, and wipers. So for instance your windshield wipers, all you get is a fused single hot lead. You have to figure out the output side of the wiper switch to the wiper motor. Ditto for the heater control. You get 1 fused hot wire as power in, and you have to figure out the output side of the switch to the blower motor and resistor

Lots of opinions! And good info for you.

I run a completely stock "Wiring" system with only stock M&H made harness assemblies.

Year One does not have all of them! And M&H will respond for the assemblies not offered!

What I could not buy from Year One, M&H made for me from my originals.

I sent them the originals and they sent back exact copies of the New and the old original pieces! Great company!

Yearone is running a save 30% until midnight Monday, July 12th.

Enter Code: PC6582

-
Back