Loom cover???

-
For existing wires, split loom is easy. I think there is nylon mesh w/ Velcro closure, at least my 2002 minivan uses that. The continuous nylon mesh that expands as you compress the tube, like a Chinese finger trap, might expand enough to allow passing some connectors thru. For new wires (without terminals installed), I use smooth PVC tube, like from Alpha or SPC Technology (ebay, search "PVC-105" and such). It is more rugged than loom and easier to keep clean. To protect from heat near exhausts, you can get thermal covers w/ Velcro or push wires thru silicone-fiberglass tubing.

It's easy to use and all but it looks like total *** IMO. I much prefer either good quality #M electrical tape or bulldog tape. Looks more factory.

I've always thought that cheap convoluted plastic split loom was ugly. I was looking more at that fancy braided painless covering, or tape. I just hate how electrical tape makes everything so damn sticky and gooey.

Is there a tape out there that does leave such a gooey mess??

I've basically got to cover every wire in my engine compartment.

I believe there is a cloth tape that only sticks to itself. Just say no to plastic wire loom!

You should use non-stick wiring harness tape, with standard electrical tape on the end only...just like the factory. Find it on eBay, Amazon, or just google it.

Paul

I used the split -convoluted stuff, don`t really care for it, but might not change it now---bob

In the air force we used what was called f4 tape. It basically was a black or red rubber about an inch wide and vulcanized itself when overlapped. Much better than electrical tap, Just pricy....And once set it stays...[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/FUSION-TAPE-TWO-ROLLS-SILICONE-SEAL-TAPE-WIRE-HARNESS-RESCUE-YOURSELF-F4-/161212597417?hash=item25890504a9&vxp=mtr"]Fusion Tape Two Rolls Silicone Seal Tape Wire Harness Rescue Yourself F4 | eBay[/ame]
Found this on ebay, boy the usaf was getting ripped off.

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-in-Braided-Techflex-Wire-Sleeving-SPLIT-Loom-10-FEET-wiring-harness-f6-/261409867453?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item3cdd3e06bd&vxp=mtr"]1 2 in Braided Techflex Wire Sleeving Split Loom 10 Feet Wiring Harness F6 | eBay[/ame]

I'm using this right now and it works and looks awesome. Much better looking than taped up wiring unless your doing a stock/factory OEM correct resto.

Whats nice is you can pull wires out the side as you go along and you don't have to tape it.

I used split loom. Where the left inner fender did have 2 hole straps over a taped harness there is now 2 separate split looms utilizing all those fastener holes.
I don't like the weird color looms. Any color costs to much at part stores.
I get the loom from part yards and buy new fasteners online.

I've always thought that cheap convoluted plastic split loom was ugly. I was looking more at that fancy braided painless covering, or tape. I just hate how electrical tape makes everything so damn sticky and gooey.

Is there a tape out there that does leave such a gooey mess??

I've basically got to cover every wire in my engine compartment.

the factory used a non adhesive plastic tape/wrap. I have used it to redo almost all my looms from the early cars.
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/wire-harness-tape

works well with the friction fabric tape to seal the end sections in high stress areas. that was used by the factory too. I usually do a hidden tie on the ends by feeding the tape through the last wraps on the end. then snipping it close so it doesn't look bad.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-in-Brai...t=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item3cdd3e06bd&vxp=mtr

I'm using this right now and it works and looks awesome. Much better looking than taped up wiring unless your doing a stock/factory OEM correct resto.

Whats nice is you can pull wires out the side as you go along and you don't have to tape it.

Thanks for the link....need to rewire the chopper....this will work well....hate that plastic crinkled junk. Don't know what the stuff is called that I used the last time, got it from a place in Oregon that no longer sells it...

I used the self-vulcanizing tape on my '79 truck, and it turned to meltygoo after a few months and heat cycles.

Eastwood sells the non-adhesive E-tape. That's what the factory used. Conventional E-tape is worthless, IMO.

Not a Mopar engine, and certainly not a 'awesome restoration' but I've always just used split plastic loom and covered the wiring. Not the prettiest, not correct, but it's functional.

Year One sells the original type wrap under the part number HWRAP.

-
Back