loose bearing race - K/H disc hub

-
In one of the photos there is a stack of brake drums that appear to be "flared". What do these drums fit?

They’re 10x1.75” small bolt pattern drums for an A-body 8 3/4. Some of the cars came from the factory with the “bell” style drums. Seems like they were pretty common from the factory for a few years. I’ve also heard them called “Canadian drums” with the idea being the lip was to shed snow? Beats me, just heard it.

They are 4 inch bolt circle drums used on 70 to 72 cars. 69 and earlier are standard drums. 73 and later are 4 1/2 bolt circle standard drums. The bell was to dissipate heat and keep them round. The early a-bodies had a warping problem with hard high speed stopping. The belled drums had nothing to do with Canadian snow. I have a lot of those drums. some are not cleaned and at the neighbors. Most all of them had red painted faces

They’re 10x1.75” small bolt pattern drums for an A-body 8 3/4. Some of the cars came from the factory with the “bell” style drums. Seems like they were pretty common from the factory for a few years. I’ve also heard them called “Canadian drums” with the idea being the lip was to shed snow? Beats me, just heard it.
I've read the same thing regarding the Canadian thing. It's funny though, I've seen a TON of them here in the south. lol I have four good ones out in the shop. Actually six, as two are not mine.

I've read the same thing regarding the Canadian thing.

Could it be because those "All American" cars, the quintessential Dodge Dart, were almost all manufactured in Canada, not the US. I even went to an all makes car show 2 years ago and took First Place Import with my 70 Dart! All three of my 70 Darts came from the Windsor plant.

I've read the same thing regarding the Canadian thing. It's funny though, I've seen a TON of them here in the south. lol I have four good ones out in the shop. Actually six, as two are not mine.
I don't have any, currently, but have seen em over the Years here, in the South

Just my .02..... I spun race is caused by improper setting of the bearing or improper grease or dry grease. In all of these cases I would think you would hear a clicking or grinding sound before any damage was done to the race spinning. In this case the damage is done. In order I would try to buy a replacement (new or used), keep my core just in case I may need it for the next option. Have the hub resized and install a larger race (there are specs for this) and have the machine shop install the race. Dimpling the rotor or using the Loctite as mentioned would be just to get me by until I could do the above servicing. Note: All my 69' - 70' 340 Swingers had the unbelled rear drums and the 69' had the enclosed front drums also. The 70' has disc front brakes. I thinking maybe they are from the late 70' and up till the 4.5" came out. I have seen them on the fronts of other darts, but I thought they were for cooling better then the enclosed drums.

One fix no one has mentioned or maybe thought of is pinning the race to the hub. As long as there is no appreciable gap between the race and hub, I'd do it in a second. Just drill a hole right through the hub and through the race. Clean it all up and tap a roll pin into the hub and not quite flush with the inside of the race. But it would only work as long as the race still fits with no gap. It cannot be loose and sloppin out. I'd stand behind that repair. These hubs ain't gettin any easier to find.

-
Back