Loose oil dipstick tube on 273 - best way to fix?

-

66fyssh

Don't Stop Believin'
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Can't find any ideas on the best way to fix my loose dipstick tube by searching the threads.

Anyone have ideas?

Thanks!!

I cleaned up around where the tube goes in and used some black silicone. Seemed to seal it pretty good.

X3 for RTV. Clean the block bore and mating tube with lacquer thinner, let it sit for a day to get max cure. Should be good forever.

If the bottom tip of the tube broke off in the block, then it's just best to pull the broken part out and buy another one vs trying to fix it. We're only talking $15 here....

Thanks for the link. I've never seen those. I ended up making one the correct length. tmm

No problem. They have them in "natural" that you can paint and chrome, and also some more 'custom' ones....

They may not be the same length as the originals, but they are sold in matching sets of tubes and sticks, so that they work together and will give the proper oil level....

I have used silicone also. Another thing I can think of is to expand the end so it press fits tighter, like an exhaust expander, but you would need a tool or method to do it, and that is the tricky part...

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Here's a picture of the end. I think I'll clean it up and try flaring it some and using RTV before replacing it.

btw, The bedspread is the cover I use for my car, lol.

Attachments

• Dipstick Tube.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 189
I tin them with solder, wipe mosta the solder off with a cloth while molten.. tap it in using 3/8 or 7/16 wrench above the flare, and a small hammer...

-
Back