Lost my Dad to lung cancer 6 weeks ago, Mom was diagnosed with lung cancer yesterday.

-

1968FormulaS340

Reaction score
Talk about getting kicked in the balls while you are down.

I have mentioned my Dad here before. He was a wounded Vietnam combat veteran, had finished college, and refused the Army's offer of going to OTS. He just wanted to be a regular soldier.

He was shot in the left side of the body, the bullet, exiting the right side of his body, and continuing through his right elbow, destroying the elbow.

He retired at age 50 from UPS. He spent the rest of his life doing volunteer work for the community, working for the local food bank and such.

Just 7 weeks before his death, he was doing dishes at a charity breakfast, something he did every Sunday.

His cancer was so far advanced and had moved deep into the bones of his spine at the time of his diagnosis.

From diagnosis to death was only 5 weeks but we made those 5 weeks the best damn time of his life and he was very happy.

My Mom was scheduled for her yearly mammogram but instead of getting the normal one, which causes her a bunch of pain, she requested an MRI, which the insurance company approved.

During the MRI, they noticed a spot on her lung. Yesterday, through some kind of radioactive dye test the determined that it is 99% likely to be lung cancer. Lung cancer is usually fatal because it is almost always found in stage 4 (by stage 4, it has moved outside the lungs).

My Mom's is at stage 1. The Doctor even said, "We never find this at stage 1". Thursday, my mother will have a biopsy to remove all doubts. After this last test, she will be scheduled for surgery to remove the cancerous part of her lung.

The doctor said, "After surgery, you will be cured." No further treatment, they will just go in, pluck out the "bad" and it will be over.

Lets pray that it goes that well.

So sorry to hear of your loss. Prayers sent from here for you and your family.

God bless yall. We sure will be prayin for yall.

Condolences to you and the family for your loss, and prayers for a complete and quick recovery for you mom.

It sounds promising for your mom to enjoy a full recovery. I'm sorry to hear about your dad though. He sounds like he was a very caring person. Please accept my condolences.

Cancer is a terrible thing. Sounds like your Mom, was lucky. However I'll keep your mother in my payers. I also wish to extend my condolences to you and your family on the lose of your Dad.

Wow, That's tough news for you and your family to get so soon after your dad passed. Prayers will be sent your way. Maybe your dad was looking out for your mom? (getting MRI and having it detected early on)

sorry for the loss of your dad. Praying for your mom, let us know what they find!

Almost 3 years ago I had the opposite with my parents as My mom was diagnosed with cancer and passed in just 6 weeks. Just 2 weeks later my dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer. He took treatment and as of today he has been in remission for 2 years. Please never lose faith! Tomorrow morning I am leaving with dad on the Hot Rod Power Tour. Almost 3 years ago I didnt think something like this would ever be possible.
My heart and prayers go out to you and your family.
Keep the faith and cherish every minute you have with your mom.
Rod

My condolences on the loss of your father, and thankful to hear your mom's cancer was caught so early! Best wishes to her for successful treatment!

Very sorry to hear this. I hope that the surgery cures your mom.

I just lost mine to cancer on Monday.

hang in there brother im 19 and lost my dad its tough but death is a tragic yet necessary part of life my thoughts and prayers

Prayers sent!!! Sorry to hear the loss of your Dad.

Depending on the exact location, a full recovery sounds very promising for Mom. My Wife was a "2B". After removing the rt. upper lobe (lobectomy), and a few surrounding lymph nodes as a precaution, she received 4 chemo treatments over the next 3mos, also precautionary in their words. Last scan in May after 1 1/2yrs shows no recurrence. :thumleft:

Sorry to hear about your dad! I'm so glad they caught your mom's cancer this early. I only wish we could have found Owen's that early.

My mom had kidney cancer but it was caught very early as well. They went in and removed the kidney and that was it. No chemo, no radiation or anything. That was 6 or 7 years ago now. I'm sending good thoughts your way. Hang in there...I know it's hard.

-
Back