Lost my vin tag

-

4 speedin

Reaction score
I cannot find my vin tag after nearly completing my rotisserie restoration, Has anybody had one made or does anyone make one that is the same as original minus the stamping. Its a 68 Valiant and I just want it to look as close to original as possible.
Thanks Mike

I have all other documentation pink slip fender tag exc, I removed it while restoring my dash frame put it in a baggie and just cant find it.

A state issued VIN is legal.

Having a counterfeit VIN made could lead to your car being confiscated under Federal & state laws.

I don’t think any the vendors who reproduce the fender data tag (like Backeast), will do a VIN tag. Keep searching - your missing VIN tag is probably in that safe place that we all forget where the safe place is!

I don’t think any the vendors who reproduce the fender data tag (like Backeast), will do a VIN tag. Keep searching - your missing VIN tag is probably in that safe place that we all forget where the safe place is!

Yes, AG does VIN tags.

I have looked everywhere I can possible think of at least twice to find it, I remember drilling it out of my dash and saving the rivet tops in the baggie as well. I have waited 5 months now to install my new windshield because of the missing tag and I need to keep moving forward. My car is currently registered however I purchased a NOS set of CA black plates for the car so I will be going to AAA to register new plates so I assume they will look at and verify the vin#

I have looked everywhere I can possible think of at least twice to find it, I remember drilling it out of my dash and saving the rivet tops in the baggie as well. I have waited 5 months now to install my new windshield because of the missing tag and I need to keep moving forward. My car is currently registered however I purchased a NOS set of CA black plates for the car so I will be going to AAA to register new plates so I assume they will look at and verify the vin#
The absolute surest way to find the original is to pony up and order the replacement. Soon as it shows up and you have paid for it you will find original!

I am expecting that to happen, And will likely silicone the new tag and rivets in so I can install without removing the windshield
I just emailed AG to see about a replacement.
Thank you all for your input!
Mike

I have one car with vin removed by previous owner...I taped it to the title and stuck it in the gun safe. Never leave tags or paperwork in with parts.

I thought I put it with the pink slip in the car file. Checked the gun safe and file cabinet every important document file and drawer in the house. Turned my restored parts bedroom upside down and still nothing.

I could not find mine forever. Then one day opened the ash tray and boom, there it was.

My son put the keys to our dart down when we brought it home years ago. Looked for them for a month. Tore the car apart, sent him into the trunk though the back seat, tore the garage apart, house, etc. Finally found them, sitting on the back of the "little uns" batter powered car, 6 feet from the Dart.... oof... it didn't just walk away, it will turn up.

Look harder^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I see this on here a lot. Why why why do people remove the vins, data plates etc, and not take the time or think to put them with the vehicles title in a damn gun safe, or at the very least in a safe deposit box at the bank or something where they cannot be misplaced. That one vin tag, which is a one of a kind, when misplaced, or permanently lost puts a major ******* on your project.

The vin for my kids 69 notchback is with its papers and a pair of fresh new vin rivets in my GUN SAFE where i know its secure. It will leave the safe only when its time to reinstall it to the cars dashboard.

I see this on here a lot. Why why why do people remove the vins, data plates etc, and not take the time or think to put them with the vehicles title in a damn gun safe, or at the very least in a safe deposit box at the bank or something where they cannot be misplaced. That one vin tag, which is a one of a kind, when misplaced, or permanently lost puts a major ******* on your project.

The vin for my kids 69 notchback is with its papers and a pair of fresh new vin rivets in my GUN SAFE where i know its secure. It will leave the safe only when its time to reinstall it to the cars dashboard.

Just left mine on the dash the whole time and kept it covered with multiple layers of tape with Duct tape on top. Did not want to pull it and re-rivit. Course the dash was out before the body ever left for blast and re-work.

Try restoring a 67 or earlier where the VIN tag is affixed to the door pillar! I bought a 67 GTS in 1990 that had a color change, the VIN was taken off for the paint job, put in a tool box, and was never seen again. That was before I bought the car and there was a State of Wisconsin VIN tag put on it then. Luckily Wisconsin will use the original VIN number if they have it, other States use what they want too.

Try restoring a 67 or earlier where the VIN tag is affixed to the door pillar! I bought a 67 GTS in 1990 that had a color change, the VIN was taken off for the paint job, put in a tool box, and was never seen again. That was before I bought the car and there was a State of Wisconsin VIN tag put on it then. Luckily Wisconsin will use the original VIN number if they have it, other States use what they want too.

Data plates are the same. Had to send it with the car shell for paint/Metal and was not there when I picked up the shell from the resto shop. Fortunately the painter still had it tucked away nice and safe with a few other important pieces. Was nervous there for about 20 miles as I headed to the paint shop after picking up the fresh body. Resto shop and paint shop did not share all the info on where it all was.

Last edited:
Had lots of pics of both fender/data tag and vin tag as well the body stamps. Just did not want to deal with replacements.

Had lots of pics of both fender/data tag and vin tag as well the body stamps. Just did not want to deal with replacements.

A good tip, a least take a bunch of high quality pictures before taking these very hard to replace identifying plates and decals off. I didn’t want to disturb mine so I carefully masked it off and worked around it and my underhood option plate went straight into my safe with my build sheet.

-
Back