Lost Title and Paperwork Replacement When You are Not the Registered Owner?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
The guy who is fabricating some customs windows for my new home construction asked me how he could replace the title and other paperwork for a vehicle he has. I guess the former paperwork was still in someone else's name. Sounds like a near impossible task?

Impossible on purpose. Unless he has a mechanics lean or something like that.

If it’s in Mexico, you probably just need to find the right palms to grease to get it done.

In the US, probably nearly impossible without the previous owners participation in the process.

Last edited:
I did it with my truck. The truck was purchased out of Oregon and I live in Washington.

I called the original owner and a form from the Oregon DMV and sent it to the PO. He signed it, I sent it off and had a title in about 3 weeks.

YMMV

Have him ask about getting a bonded title.

FABO member Wymryder gave me his '88 F350 crewcab... back in 2015. Jim had misplaced the pinkslip (used in CA before they issued titles). I drove the truck back to WI and got a bonded title.

My insurance company charged me $100.00 based on the WIDOT's value estimate of $3500.00. I have to keep the truck for 4 years then I can get a regular title. If someone comes forward and sez the truck is his he gets it and my insurance company pays me $3500.00.

Many states have this available.

I pay a lady here in Oklahoma to file the paperwork for a "title 42". I've bought several cars without titles and I call her with the VIN and she does the rest. Takes about 6 weeks to get the papers from her. I take those to the tag agency and file for a title.

Have him ask about getting a bonded title.
FABO member Wymryder gave me his '88 F350 crewcab... back in 2015. Jim had misplaced the pinkslip (used in CA before they issued titles). I drove the truck back to WI and got a bonded title.
My insurance company charged me $100.00 based on the WIDOT's value estimate of $3500.00. I have to keep the truck for 4 years then I can get a regular title. If someone comes forward and sez the truck is his he gets it and my insurance company pays me $3500.00.
Many states have this available.

Bonding is how regular folks get a title in Colorado.

In Georgia it'd be forgetitsville.

I got a buddy who half years in Georgia. He purchased a 73 duster from me that I had no title for. he took it down to Georgia and had a title within a month. Brought it back to Colorado and had the title transferred to this state. Seemed like the quickest and easiest title purchase I've ever seen.

-
Back