Loud chirping noise.

-

71valiant

Make fast, break, repeat.
Reaction score
I cannot figure out what this sound is. Motor has 3500 miles on it. We put in a new cam. I purchased a used stall converter....I'm thinking its the culprit. Its LOUD. Anyone ever experienced this before?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbEdMsxqti8&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Valiant idle sound. - YouTube[/ame]

That is not good! You should be able to isolate the area to within a few inches with a stethoscope.

Check for loose converter bolts .. My 383 in my old belvedere made this same noise ... Turned out to be loose converter bolts

Dear gawwd!! I'd shut that thing OFF! I'm going to guess that maybe you didn't spin the converter all the way into the trans and maybe it has shoved the crank forward, trashing out the thrust bearings....?

OR.......maybe that new cam is trashing out a lifter or 2 or 3 or......?

Lifters don't sound like that.

Cams don't make dry, rubbing sounds like that. That is metal on metal, pretty light metal/ not something cast.

If a cam goes out, you get a misfire, PCV valve starts buzzing/ vacuum leak type symptoms/ consistent misfire. It sounds like it's running fine.

That's coming from underneath.

At the 1:00 mark, your starter is NOT engaging the converter teeth. That is a sign, right there, that something is up. My guess is that the flexplate bolts are loose and it's fallen away from the crank, causing the starter to engage very shallow, explains the noise and the starter problem.

Crawl under it, pull the starter and the splash shield and check it out. I guarantee you'll find something.

Look at the convertor dust shield. It may be rubbing. They don't work with some stall convertors. As said before, it could be your starter not disengaging.

The starter is engaging intermittently. Once tried and it spun, with no engaging, the others it did.

That tells me that it's a depth problem with the converter and flexplate. The sound is more than likely the bolts scraping.

If it just developed out of nowhere, something came loose.

If your starter came loose, that can also cause issues.

Check the starter, first.

I was reffering to the crank bolts etc. The converter was pushed in all the way.

Sounds like torque convertor bolts are loose to me also. Maybe a starter issue. Have you actually crawled under the car since the noise started and listened in that area?

Might want to remove all the fan belts so that area is eliminated from the possibilities.

When you shut it off at the end, you can hear some resonance.

I think your flexplate is doing something it shouldn't, causing the starter issue as well. could be rubbing on the starter.

That's where I would look first. Pull the starter and look for signs of rubbing. Also, crank the engine by hand and look at each bolt, down as they pass on the open areas. Give each one a good crank, if the starter looks ok, put it back in and see if it goes away.

Exhaust pipe?
Fender bracket broke?
I have had a cracked flex plate once, but it squeaked / chirped at a higher pitch.....but not all would be the same. :D

Slow the idle way down and it might be easier to chase down.

any chirping noises I ever herd in a engine was a rolled crank bearing usually rod

Whats strange is that the noise goes away when you rev it up.... I think like Snake. Sounds like water pump, maybe even alternator bearing. I looked to see if it had a clutch fan, it doesn't. Main thing is to eliminate what you can. So I would start with the belts, remove it to see if it could be the alt or water pump. I'll definitely watch this.

Sounds like my old water pump. Impeller would walk out to the end of the shaft and scrape the housing. Fortunately it was easy to figure out and fix.

I'm going to go with the water pump or alt . In the video it look like the fan got
stuck and shut the motor off and took twice turning the motor over for it to unstick the pump and restart .

-
Back