Low buck 360 build

-
Ok, so I spent the day pretty much, working on this engine. First thing, I had to clearance the cam bearings. I ended up installing clevite cam bearings, hoping they'd be better than the engine tech ones. They weren't. So I purchased a used 5.9 magnum cam locally. I slotted it at 30 deg on a staggered pattern.

View attachment 1715998159

View attachment 1715998160

View attachment 1715998162

This took awhile to work. My bearings were very tight and I had to tap the cam in with a hammer, turn a few turns, tap again, repeat. Took awhile. But this method works.

Next up I installed the crank, cam and timing chain, now it all spins nice and smooth.

Next stop, pistons. These are 4.030 pistons and rings. They were put together and tossed in a crate. Got dirty and rusty. So I cleaned them up.

View attachment 1715998164

View attachment 1715998165

Once all was cleaned I installed the bearings and torqued for a clearance check. All rods were between 0.0015 and 0.0020 so pretty good. I'll match the small rods with the smaller crank journals.

View attachment 1715998161
Nice work! Don Garlits always said "run um loose with lots of oil pressure". LOL

So, the cheap rebuilder pistons had a cheap set of rebuilder rings installed. I removed them to clean everything up. I noticed that the rings that say " top" were on the 2nd ring groove. Top pointing up. These rings have an inner bevel. The rings in the top groove had no bevel. I have no idea the manufacturer of these rings so no real documentation. Should I reinstall the same as it was?

So, the cheap rebuilder pistons had a cheap set of rebuilder rings installed. I removed them to clean everything up. I noticed that the rings that say " top" were on the 2nd ring groove. Top pointing up. These rings have an inner bevel. The rings in the top groove had no bevel. I have no idea the manufacturer of these rings so no real documentation. Should I reinstall the same as it was?
Correct. "TOP" just means that side of the ring faces UP.

It’s unusual for the top ring to not have a bevel and the second ring to have one. It’s usually the other way around but I don’t use cheap rings so that may be correct.

It’s unusual for the top ring to not have a bevel and the second ring to have one. It’s usually the other way around but I don’t use cheap rings so that may be correct.
For the record, I don't usually use cheap things either. But this is what came with the engine so...I'll take pics tomorrow and try to get an Opinion of how it goes together. Whoever installed the rings before were very consistent. The rings with the bevel were all in the second groove.

Here's some pics of the rings. You can see the inner beveled edge. These were all installed on the 2nd groove before. The top groove rings had no bevel.

IMG_20221014_224650.jpg

IMG_20221014_224711.jpg

IMG_20221014_224714.jpg

I've used cheapass rings and I can tell you they come every way under the sun. You know, even decent rings aren't really ALL that expensive. hint hint.

I've used cheapass rings and I can tell you they come every way under the sun. You know, even decent rings aren't really ALL that expensive. hint hint.
Hahaha hint taken. The 418 under the bench got the message :steering:

This however is the $1500 engine that will make 300-ish hp and get the dart sold.

The picture is a bit fuzzy but that ring thaT says top on it looks more like a second ring to me. No bevel almost always means a second ring. But, there are strange things and this may be one of them. Who made the rings?
I was trying to show the bevel. It has the bevel on the inside lower edge. I have no idea who the manufacturer is. I'm sure it came in a low buck rebuild kit. It came with the box of parts with the engine I purchased.

Maybe this pic is a bit clearer. Ring in upper position was installed in the top groove and has no bevel. The ring with the bevel is on the bottom, the bevel is on the inside edge. This is showing opposite the side marked "top".

IMG_20221015_073236.jpg

Here's a pic showing how they were installed when I received the items.

IMG_20221015_074731.jpg

When I first got these I saw this and thought it was incorrectly installed but I wonder, because all 8 were like this so it's like the guy was following instructions.

I was trying to show the bevel. It has the bevel on the inside lower edge. I have no idea who the manufacturer is. I'm sure it came in a low buck rebuild kit. It came with the box of parts with the engine I purchased.

Ahhh, I couldn’t see that. If it has the bevel that faces down with the word top on that indeed is a second ring.

That bevel is critical, especially for a top ring because that’s what gets the rings to seal. Combustion pressure moves down the side of the piston and hits the top ring. It then moves across the ring to that bevel where it gets behind the ring and forces into the cylinder wall, making it seal.

Without that bevel to get the gas pressure in behind the ring retards ring seal.

Thats what gas ported pistons and rings do. They get combustion pressure behind the ring more directly and therefore quicker and it makes more power.

Plus, you can reduce the radial tension of the ring by a bunch and save on a ton of friction as the ring is just along for the ride on the other strokes.

So I think the ring with the bevel on the top is a top ring and the other is a second.

Maybe this pic is a bit clearer. Ring in upper position was installed in the top groove and has no bevel. The ring with the bevel is on the bottom, the bevel is on the inside edge. This is showing opposite the side marked "top".

View attachment 1715998246

Here's a pic showing how they were installed when I received the items.

View attachment 1715998244

When I first got these I saw this and thought it was incorrectly installed but I wonder, because all 8 were like this so it's like the guy was following instructions.

Ok, now I’m confused again. In this picture that second ring has the bevel facing down. And that ring, the way it’s installed in the picture says TOP on it and the TOP is up?

If that’s what it is that certainly must be the way they go because you wouldn’t want that ring in the top groove.

I‘m having a hard time getting my head around why no bevel for the top ring. That’s crazy IMO.

Ok, now I’m confused again. In this picture that second ring has the bevel facing down. And that ring, the way it’s installed in the picture says TOP on it and the TOP is up?

If that’s what it is that certainly must be the way they go because you wouldn’t want that ring in the top groove.

I‘m having a hard time getting my head around why no bevel for the top ring. That’s crazy IMO.
It's just a cheap set of rings. So I actually found this quote on motor trend (not that they don't publish garbage all the time but it's at least something)

"Usually, the rings are bevel-cut to promote twisting. The top ring is often beveled on its top inside edge, which causes positive twist. That pushes the lower inside edge against the ring groove and creates an oil seal, while also allowing cylinder pressure to get behind the ring. The bevel of the second ring is machined in the lower inside edge to create negative twist and press the lower outside edge of the ring face against the cylinder wall for oil-scraping"

So given only one ring has a bevel, and it's on the bottom edge, I am keeping that ring in the second groove.

Other general updates from today's mad rush....

Goal today was to get this reciprocating assembly completed.
IMG_20221014_224739.jpg

I decided to add a little bit of ring gap. Just in case I end up keeping it and decide, you know, a little bit of ring gap on a low compression engine could be useful :icon_fU:

IMG_20221015_094725.jpg

IMG_20221015_094800.jpg

So with the rings gapped, I assembled the rings in the pistons. Gave the bores one last super cleaning before popping the pistons home.

IMG_20221015_122305.jpg

Squeaky clean...

Now pistons are installed...
IMG_20221015_134925.jpg

Couple shots of the completed reciprocating assembly...

IMG_20221015_151926.jpg

IMG_20221015_152314.jpg

It spins really smoothly too. Taking right at 25 ft lbs to turn over. Pretty good for a fresh street engine.

That's all I got for today. Hoping to get the top end buttoned up tomorrow.

Minor update. Been a busy week so far. Just did a last clean up of the deck surfaces on the heads, dropped the head gaskets on, and installed the heads. Nothing huge but hey it's a little bit of progress. Hopefully the top end can get completed this week/weekend. Heck I might even be able to get the intake on.

IMG_20221020_211951.jpg

As a side project, I've been working on converting my engine stand into a test run stand. Maybe I'll post up how that comes along, if there's any interest.

Sure! Why not. There is a older thread around here on some home built efforts. Post it up!

Sure! Why not. There is a older thread around here on some home built efforts. Post it up!
I think mine is going to be fairly unique. Waiting on a few parts to come in then I'll start CADing up the various brackets etc.

Picked up this glorious lump of 750 vacuum secondary Holley goodness for $75. Looks in pretty decent shape. Gonna toss a rebuild kit at it and go.

IMG_20221021_093104.jpg

IMG_20221021_093119.jpg

IMG_20221021_093128.jpg

IMG_20221021_093201.jpg

Annnnd in pieces now. Gonna let this old gaskets soak in some adhesive remover awhile.
IMG_20221021_103326.jpg

Minor update. Been a busy week so far. Just did a last clean up of the deck surfaces on the heads, dropped the head gaskets on, and installed the heads. Nothing huge but hey it's a little bit of progress. Hopefully the top end can get completed this week/weekend. Heck I might even be able to get the intake on.

View attachment 1716000868

As a side project, I've been working on converting my engine stand into a test run stand. Maybe I'll post up how that comes along, if there's any interest.
Are you sure weren’t just busy trying to sort through all the 22 pages of “The highest flowing SBM heads” post!!

:rofl:

Are you sure weren’t just busy trying to sort through all the 22 pages of “The highest flowing SBM heads” post!!

:rofl:

:lol:

Hahaha no way. I haven't read more than a third of that monster. Too many people getting panties in a wad for my taste. However last couple days it seems to have steered in the direction of actually talking about heads which is all I wanted in the first place.

-
Back