"Low buck" 440 drag build

-

mechanic190

Reaction score
Well I think I got my combo for car figured out, just wanna post it on here and see what you all think, what'd you'd change, and whatever else you wanna say.

77 440 out of a motor home
Factory rods, cast crank, and pistons factory size just gonna bearing a re-ring
dual 600 vacuum sec holley 1850-2s sitting on a stage II Weiand tunnel ram
Ported and Milled 906 heads (just an old pair my dad used to run)
Hughes 264 268 cam with 1.6 rockers 633 651
MSD 7 ignition

Gonna go in my 72 dart. 4 linked, caged, 32x14x15 slicks, dana 60 with 4.56 gears, 4500 stall converter, should weigh around 3100 lbs.

Not gonna bore or machine the block at all just re-ring and go see what she does. Carbs are getting kits, rear metering blocks from quickfuel so i can tune seconaries and power valves blocked off.

leave the power valves in, it will be easier to drive around and use less fuel. install the cam at least 8 degrees advanced. check piston to valve clearance. mash the load pedal off an idle with some big squirters to remove the bog and get it going out of the hole. this will alow you to use all the carbs to hit that 4500 convertor. use the vacuum caps with the stub on them so you can tie the cans together, use the black springs in them too. put an 18" or longer collector extension on to help get out of the gate. your hotrod should run between 10.90 and 11.10 at about 122mph.

Well I think I got my combo for car figured out, just wanna post it on here and see what you all think, what'd you'd change, and whatever else you wanna say.

77 440 out of a motor home
Factory rods, cast crank, and pistons factory size just gonna bearing a re-ring
dual 600 vacuum sec holley 1850-2s sitting on a stage II Weiand tunnel ram
Ported and Milled 906 heads (just an old pair my dad used to run)
Hughes 264 268 cam with 1.6 rockers 633 651
MSD 7 ignition

Gonna go in my 72 dart. 4 linked, caged, 32x14x15 slicks, dana 60 with 4.56 gears, 4500 stall converter, should weigh around 3100 lbs.

Not gonna bore or machine the block at all just re-ring and go see what she does. Carbs are getting kits, rear metering blocks from quickfuel so i can tune seconaries and power valves blocked off.

Why would you NOT machine the block? You'll have it apart already...I don't get that at all. With regards to the over all combo, it's going to depend ALOT on actual airflow and the converter. But with such a low CR, big cam, big manifold and 1200 cfm, I suspect it will be a slug. Also remember with all of the POWER you DON'T make, it takes EVEN MORE POWER to pull that big of a tire.

If it were me, at the very least I'd machine the block, resize the rods, check the crank, etc, pitch that cam and put the TR and carbs on the shelf for sentimental value. I'd go with a MP .557 cam, a Holley Street Dominator, a good working 850 and you should be able to tune it to the mid (to maybe) low 11's.

Make sure the heads are FRESH with a good 3-angle VJ. Ask a local Mopar stock or Super Stock guy who to go to...)

Head flow not withstanding, a SOLID 11:1 flat top TRW piston and say maybe the MP .590 cam, and a good, RACE 8" built for your application(ATI, TA, etc...no ebay junk) converter with your TR and TUNED carbs you should be in the low 10's.

Well the whole plan of the car was just to get it runnin as quick as possible and cheaply that's why no machining. Dusterdoug my dads duster has an untouched 440 bottom end with dual 750 double pumpers on top a tr and just a step down in cam and runs 7.20 1/8 miles so tell me how much power I won't be making again

ok dusterdoug, lets take one more look mechanic190's topic heading>>"low buck" 440 drag build. now for some reason i think that will answer your question.

Oh yeah, go for it. I figure you MAY have 8.5:1 static. I ran a 383, stock rods and pistons at 8.0:1 with a little smaller Hughes cam, ported 906 heads and we made 500 HP with it. I think with that cam advanced 8 degrees you could still run 85 octane. Good grief, run it! It should be a hoot!

Bye-the-bye to everybody else. This family knows more about engine building than you may think.

Sorry, I didn't realize that you ASKED for opinions and then wouldn't like what was offered.

But hey, those tunnel rammed 11 second cars are soooo cool...

-
Back