low buck low restriction commando/charger air cleaner

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
Hi Y'all

How many of you like the look of the commando/charger 273 4 barrel air cleaner ??

Find that this piece is pretty expensive, and the 4bbl base is almost impossible to find??

I got an easy solution thats as close as your local boneyard.

I found out that the 273 low restriction air cleaner top is the same as the charger 225 air cleaner lid minus the chrome plating and badging. I purchased my charger 225 lid off evilbay for $30 along with the breather and old timey pcv valve. I picked up a commando 273 decal badge for this lid along with the air filter servicing instructions decal. I will prob sand blast and paint this lid gloss black

This still leaves a problem finding a correct base. I found out that the 273 V8 low restriction air cleaner uses the same part number air filter element as the last generation dodge ram van with the magnum V6, or V8. Both of these engines use a throttle body with a 5&1/8" diameter hole in the air cleaner base.

All you have to do is cut away the excess part of the air cleaner sheetmetal outside of where the element is with a cutoff wheel. Instant baseplate.

I scored 2 of these air cleaner assemblies complete with lids for $5.00 . I may eventually go with a fresh air setup, or hood scoop, in the case of dual snorkle air setup, if you look for the first generation of the magnum V6 or V8 you can score these with a thermac setup for cold air starting and duplicate how mopar did the original dual snorkle setups. You would need 1 lid and 2 bases, you would have to cut one inlet duct out of one base figure out where you want it to go, and weld it onto the second baseplate

For a scooped hood like a six pack hood , just cut the air cleaner lid back to rhe outer edge of the filter element and put a foam gasket around the perimeter lip of the lower base. To seal it to the underside of the hood.

This is a cheap way to do all this and if care and time is taken , plus a nice coat of paint any of these setups can be made to look almost factory made.

I have a few pix i took, i will eventually add these to this thread.

Hope this helps
Matt

Have been doing the same for years. Just watch for hood clearance if you use the truck complete housing as it sits up high.Trucks from the 80's thru 93-ish to use whole or as donors.

Attachments

• IMG_0728.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 349
I went back to my local boneyard and picked up a bunch more of these.

Darter6 the magnum baseplates are a low rise baseplate, and should work fine with the charger 225 lid and a performer intake clearance wise.

I saw a bunch of pre magnum 360 4bbl air cleaner bases on B350 vans while i was there , these must be the ones your talking about. They looked like they had an additional 2" rise on them. I figured these would give clearance problems so i left em alone.

I will be making up 5 commando 273 baseplates, everything will have smoothly cut and filed edges, be media blasted and repainted gloss black. I'd like to sell these starting with fabo members first.

I am also going to be making 4 dual snorkle air cleaner assemblies, ditto on the cleaning, prep, paint. One will have a working thermac.

I dunno if anybody would be interested purchasing these from me, but remember by the time i am done i will have some time in these. I am O.C.D. So rest assured everything will be as perfect as i can make it. I strive for perfect. Drives my wife nuts though

Anybody interested please pm me.
Matt

Great information, surprised others haven't commented.....

Great thread Matt. What do you think you might want for these?

Good info. The problem Dad n I run into with his orig 273 Commando air cleaner, was finding a baseplate to fit the Eddy 1405 carb. Orig baseplate didnt fit and we werent about to hack it up. Dad Macgyver'd a "spacer" outta duct work that works perfect.

Good info. The problem Dad n I run into with his orig 273 Commando air cleaner, was finding a baseplate to fit the Eddy 1405 carb. Orig baseplate didnt fit and we werent about to hack it up. Dad Macgyver'd a "spacer" outta duct work that works perfect.

I've also been doing this for years. I'll gladly trade anyone the larger opening base plate for an original early AFB base plate.

I used the baseplate from an old chrome (Mr Gasket?) open element type air cleaner I had lying around.

Old thread sorry i dropped it. Sometimes life gets in the way. This is on a carter 625, with a 225 slant 6 lid. I have quite a few of these baseplates already made up if anybody is interested. Hows $30 baseplate only plus the ride sound?

20150331_202527.jpg

20150415_182345.jpg

The baseplates i have will solve the McGuyvered one you have, look stock, and give you a larger correct sized opening for the eddy 1405.

We got ours fixed Matt thanks. Found an aftermarket moroso base at a swap meet and massaged It to make it work.
Those look nice! What does base plate look like outta curiosity.
Cheers
Me

I will snap a pic and post it sometime today. Spent most of the day performing some serious fiberglass surgery on my heater box. It was warped so bad the 2 halves would not fit together. It fits now. I had to cut slots in the fiberglass to stress relieve it so it would pull together, then clamp together, add filler and fiberglass. Once thats cured i will be doing the itchy scratchy dance sanding on it, maybe smooth things out with some evercoat , primer n paint.

-
Back