Low First Gear set, Will it help or hurt me?

-

SRT_DSTRHOLC

Reaction score
Im looking at "maybe" upgrading the 904 that already has all the goodies possible with a low first gear set. This is a duster with 4.10 gears and 4200 stall. The engine is a 410 stroker that should have 500-520hp. I just want to know if the benefit will do me well or nothing at all. Thanks :burnout:

Yes it will help if your racing most of the time(60ft times),if not?then not worth it $$ for a street car.JMO

Yes it will help if your racing most of the time(60ft times),if not?then not worth it $$ for a street car.JMO
Well it should be a 10 second car. So anything to help me would be great. This car will be barely street used maybe drive to work once in awhile but its not that far and show off on weekends.

Your best bet is to run the car as is,if you feel your 60fts are weak,then decide to add the lower 1st gear.On the street you,ll be shifting to 2nd almost instantly.:burnout:

Your best bet is to run the car as is,if you feel your 60fts are weak,then decide to add the lower 1st gear.On the street you,ll be shifting to 2nd almost instantly.:burnout:
Oh okay, I see what you are saying now.

I personally would not run a low gear set in a 408...unless I reduced the over all rear end ratio..the 4 inch crank should have more then enough low end torque to get the car moving..

I am in need of building a 904 for my 416 fish that will be mostly a street hotrod and was planning to use a newer trans that I thnk has the low gear. So you think it would be a mistake? 3.91 rear on 28" 275/60 tires. Will get about a 3500 converter. 60 currently 1.65 with a 2500 converter. Want better off the line.

I personally would not run a low gear set in a 408...unless I reduced the over all rear end ratio..the 4 inch crank should have more then enough low end torque to get the car moving..
What would you reduce it to?

I am in need of building a 904 for my 416 fish that will be mostly a street hotrod and was planning to use a newer trans that I thnk has the low gear. So you think it would be a mistake? 3.91 rear on 28" 275/60 tires. Will get about a 3500 converter. 60 currently 1.65 with a 2500 converter. Want better off the line.

A better converter should help immensely, I would suggest calling PTC or any other comparable converter builder and give them all of the info on your engine, gearing and intended purpose, street, street/strip or just strip.

They will custom build you a converter for your application.

I'm with Tony. Strokers generally have so much torque they don't benefit very much if at all from the low gear set if your already running a loose converter like yours and 4.10 gears. Traction can be another issue.

-
Back