low gear reduction with 3.91 sure grip

-

44070dart

How the hell did I get this old..
Reaction score
Looking to go and see a B-body out of town that has a 727 and this low gear reduction added to trans. What is the story with this addition. Drove with spliters on standard shift vehicles but not any automatics. Good/bad

I think he means the 727 was given a lower first gear ratio.

I would liken it to something like, turning the 3.91 gears into 4.30’s or 4.56’s for the duration of first gear. I would need the actual normal first gear ratio as well as the replaced gears ratio to figure out what the new feel ratio would feel like. After you get done with 1st gear, it is back to the normal 2/3 ratios and it drives like it should.

This is done by racers and serious street strip guys that want to get moving off the line quicker. Remember that most races are won and lost at the starting line. Those first few moments matter but time.

He may be talking about several things, who knows? The Torqueflites were available with standard and low first gears. He might be talking about one of the overdrives. Might be talkin about an add on of some sort. Just go look at it and see. If you don't know, how do we know? lol

-
Back