Low gear set 904, pro’s and Con’s

-
I am using a 4.88 gear. With a 14 x 32 tire
I’m putting together a 418 with bpe heads similar to your engine. Going to start with 2.75 first but I’m only running 4.1 rear gears plus longer wheelbase and about 400 pounds heavier. I’ll see how that works but might end up going to the 2.45 first. What converter are you running and where was it stalling? The new headers should pick it up !

I’m putting together a 418 with bpe heads similar to your engine. Going to start with 2.75 first but I’m only running 4.1 rear gears plus longer wheelbase and about 400 pounds heavier. I’ll see how that works but might end up going to the 2.45 first. What converter are you running and where was it stalling? The new headers should pick it up !
I tried a PTC and a Dynamic they worked good . But I had Coan build me one. It was quicker by .06 and faster by 1.5 mph than the other two. But the Coan cost $350 more. It stalls about 5200 rpm and drops about 400 rpm on the shift. The Coan people guaranteed me that their converter would be quicker and faster. And they were right. But it might not be worth it to most people. But we're trying to run 5.90 with a standard style LA head .

I tried a PTC and a Dynamic they worked good . But I had Coan build me one. It was quicker by .06 and faster by 1.5 mph than the other two. But the Coan cost $350 more. It stalls about 5200 rpm and drops about 400 rpm on the shift. The Coan people guaranteed me that their converter would be quicker and faster. And they were right. But it might not be worth it to most people. But we're trying to run 5.90 with a standard style LA head .
Cool deal, I think alky will pick up the combo a lot as well! I have a ptc that’s suppose to stall 5200-5300. What were you shifting at rpm wise?

6400 on the 1-2 6800 on the 2-3.

Cool deal, I think alky will pick up the combo a lot as well! I have a ptc that’s suppose to stall 5200-5300. What were you shifting at rpm wise?
Laverne Ferrouillat moved the engine forward 1.375" to help the wheelie problem. It had 52% on the rear wheels. We'll be able to push it harder in first gear now. We feel like it'll go 1.24 at 60 feet and probably 5.85 at 114 mph. If it does it, that's moving pretty good for a standard style LA head and only 11 to 1 compression.

Laverne Ferrouillat moved the engine forward 1.375" to help the wheelie problem. It had 52% on the rear wheels. We'll be able to push it harder in first gear now. We feel like it'll go 1.24 at 60 feet and probably 5.85 at 114 mph. If it does it, that's moving pretty good for a standard style LA head and only 11 to 1 compression.
That’s awesome and I appreciate the info that will help with my build. I will scale my car but most likely end up 52 to 53 on the nose so the 2.75 first with 4.1 rear might work well for my heavier car. My engine is going to be bloomer heads, 13 to 1 with e85, fully ported edelbrock street tunnel ram with two 750s and 1 7/8 headman’s. Pretty excited to get it running and see how it does

That’s awesome and I appreciate the info that will help with my build. I will scale my car but most likely end up 52 to 53 on the nose so the 2.75 first with 4.1 rear might work well for my heavier car. My engine is going to be bloomer heads, 13 to 1 with e85, fully ported edelbrock street tunnel ram with two 750s and 1 7/8 headman’s. Pretty excited to get it running and see how it does
Yours will probably make more power than mine. And you're welcome.

Yours will probably make more power than mine. And you're welcome.
Cam will probably hold mine back a bit but it’s meant to be a durable bracket combo and I had half the parts for it so I’m using it. Bullet hydraulic roller with similar duration to yours and .630 lift. Shouldn’t be too bad as I’m planning to shift 6600-6700 as well. Hoping to run low tens with it at about 3260 lbs

-
Back