low hanging headers...

-

mtandrews

beware the Ides of March
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
i've read here where folks say that anything outside of Doug's and TTI's will hang pretty low. I'm in the engineering (yeah right!) phase right now with my 72 Duster and I know we all have different opinions and thought processes. Do any of you guys have ground level pics of how "low" your headers are? I'm thinking that one guys low might be different than someone elses interpetation of the word.

I'm thinking that one guys low might be different than someone elses interpetation of the word.

Well, you are right with thinking about the "Point of view" differences between people. After all, what is streetable varies widely. But not this time.

In this (top) picture --click here; http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpost.php?p=91449&postcount=77 (Sorry, not a very good shot, but the only one I have.)

The front steering linkage can be seen a little bit. 3 tubes run under that centerlink and the tie rods, which are even lower. You can see one...kind of. That tube is the highest tube. The other 2 are lower. This effective puts the tubes at about 3 - 4 inchs (Give and take here) from the floor. While it is enuff for the car in jounce, speed bumps will for certainly hit it.

Welcome aboard rookie. Headers suck no matter what. Dougs have a mixed review on installlation and tti's fare a little better if not boardering on easy by some. Again, they all suck.

This is on a 74 duster. They are Summit brand headers. Needless to say I need to find a set that doesnt hang so low.

SAM_0135.jpg

SAM_0134.jpg

GREAT shot! What size tire is on the front. Does anyone have a chart to convert the metric MM to inchs.

If that tire is a 215/70/14, that will give you exactly the distance to the ground the tire is to the wheel. The headers barley clear the wheel.

You'll need to find out what 70% of 215 mm is and convert to inchs.

yea i agree. unless you have the front of the car riding pretty high and pretty stiff low headers are gonna get crushed. in this case low is definatley low...

here is where a tti header sits. the car is on a jack but look at the header and where the center link is... i would say that a cheap low hanging header is atleast 4-5 inches lower...

DSC02553-1.jpg

here is a good comparrison. both small blocks the oil pans look to be basically the same. look at how far below the headers are on the top pic. and how high the tti headers are in the lower pic..

SAM_0135.jpg

DSC02553-1.jpg

Yeah Joe, I think I'm gonna have to suck up the power loss and keep the manifolds cause my ride is lower than yours and I can't afford Dougs/TTI's right now. Why can't someone make a set of Headers that has a decent fit for $300-$400? I want to but I can't pop $700 for a pair of lungs...

-
Back