low mile 318 how to build?

-

ereru7

Reaction score
low mile 1983 318. i want to put a mild cam intake and carb. paint it, and put it in my 38 dodge pick up rod. it will be backed by a 4 speed. the motor runs strong all stock. any advice?

If it's a automatic trans. setup it will have to come apart and be rebalanced due to the flywheel weight difference.

And then............

Cam
Pick a cam (And spring package) with a cruise rpm range that meets your driving style/rpm @ the speed limit or what you travel at.

Carb You'll need not more than 600 cfm's to feed it. Holley or Edelbrock or OE carter(s) can do the trick well. The big secret is tune tune tune that carb.

Follow all the directions given with each package on break in and set up, clean filters etc.....and your good to go.

Have fun!

how much does that cost? and what will need to be changed?bearings? etc?

General balanceing runs in the $150.00-$300.00 range, then all new brgs. and rings will have to go in. The crank may need some mallory metal to correct the inbalance from the heavier flywheel and this will add to the cost of the balance job, last check it was about $80.00 a plug so it can get expensive.

Check out Summit. a good cam would be the Comp 262 or the 268, with the 901 springs. You can also get the kit for about 350. It comes with everything you need including new timing chain and gears.Preformer intake and a 600 to 650 carb like Rumble said. Holley or Eddy. For what your lookin for, i think its a nice combo.

If you want to go a step further, have the the deck squared and go with some KB 167 pistons set at Zero deck.

I see BJR is in this thread, and he has alot of good combos. I sure he will help. It all depends on what you want.

Can't get away with using '83 truck flywheel and damper with the MP pilot bearing for automatic cranks? Don't forget the "Heartbeat" valve covers if you want to be welcome at the rod runs.

I think it a ref. to old hot rods allways running chevys and allmost nothing but chevys no matter that make or model and year. Old "Hot Roders" tend to do that. Not brand loyal when there building something like a 38.

Oh hell, i didnt even notice he said a 38, i thought because he had a 83 teen he ment 83 truck. Dam im confussed, maybe i should stop and read before i post. lol

LOL @ sublime. It happens.

Chuck, you are correct. Internal balanceing is done on all 273's, 318's and 340's except the 1973 year. Possible late 72.

It is my understanding that all LA 318's are neutral balanced.

Chuck

Chuck,
Not to dispute you but we just went through this with another 318 and we even tried different flywheels and no luck. So we took it apart and balanced the assembly, with the dampner and flywheel we even bolted together the pressure plate and clutch disc. on the crank, and it was a good bit out we took 66 grms out of the rear part of the crank. Then after we reassembled the engine it was smooth as silk and its been running for a few months now as a DD.

I have no doubt that they are not balanced perfect at the factory and may even be way off. We both know that how far off deck height can be from side to side.

Let me rephrase the question; isn't Mopars intension that all LA 318 are supposed to be neutral balanced and use a neutral balance flywheel/convertor?

Chuck

Agreed,
I wasn't saying that you were wrong I was stating a engine that we just did had a problem, and what we did to correct it. I agree also that they are suppose to be a neutral balance. But what Mopar says and what they actually are, are two different things in some cases but not all.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Chuck, I believe that you are correct.

If you are not changing piston or rod weight... or anything that can effect the factory internal balancing, it should be fine.

I did an automatic to manual transmission swap in a Duster over ten years ago... all I did was pull the flex plate and installed a flywheel. Been running smooth and strong for all these years!

Now... a 360 is a whole different animal since it is externally balanced... but they do make flywheels for that purpose... they are the same flywheel as the 318, with a series of recesses drilled into it to strategically remove the proper amount of weight to maintain the balance characteristics.

The key is the weight of the individual parts of the rotating mass... if you change any of those items to parts that do not weigh the same, then you have problems!

Brian, it SHOULD be fine and I agree but what BJR was saying is Mopars balance can be less than satisfactory and MAY have a balance problem when bolting on a stick flywheel because the slight imbalance of the engine and the slight imbalance of the stick flywheel may possibly work together and make the imbalance more than slight.

Your last sentence says it all.

Chuck

-
Back