Low Oil pressure

-
Yeah. The intake valley has to get a substantial amount of oil in it before that happens. Not to worry though, because the timing chain gets a lot of splash lube when the engine is running.

Did you put the plugs in the front behind the thrust plate?

ok i started the engine without the front cover briefly to find 40 psi cold so i have picked up about 5 psi cold . but its got me stumped why i cant get any oil to the front thrust plate bolt now? before i could get oil flowing from there with the drill driving the pump, now its dry

yes plugs fitted

even when i gave it a little rev it did not go up at all
if it was pressure bypass spring it would not of changed after plugs fitted the front galleries
The way i see it the bypass spring determins the maximum pressure so by fitting these gallery plugs i gained about 5psi so the low pressure cant be the bypass valve, it has to have more leaks either from somewhere.

The thrust plate bolts have no oil pressure too them. The oil comes through the hole when the valley fills up and it drain through that bolt with the hole and lubes the chain

In post 18, that seems like a lot of oil coming out of that galley hole. Is there a plug in there at all? I know your talking about a oil mod that may have been done but that seems like way to much oil shooting out. I would not be satisfied with 45 PSI cold. I would want 60 plus.

the rear gallery plug facing the oil pump shaft & dizzy drive gear,
how is this lubricated?
will get a pic

Imo, that's 20-30 psi of oilpressure you're losing right there. Massive leak with no purpose at all.
Seems like someone forgot to put the plug back in.

Imo, that's 20-30 psi of oilpressure you're losing right there. Massive leak with no purpose at all.
Seems like someone forgot to put the plug back in.
If that plug is missing there is your missing oil pressure, for sure. you Can get it in with the engine in the car but it is a *****. I had to do it one time. MY only time I missed that I will tell you. And because you are having oil pressure issues, I would not have a hole back there. Drilled or left out.

There is no way that "leak" is the size of the plug. That looks about the size of a #2 pencil lead. The plug is much larger.

Now if someone drill the plug too big, that's another problem. lol

I can see the plug through via a small mirror its a square head & appears to have a hole in it
can someone tell me what size the square head is as 1/4 is too small & 3/8 seems too large?

I can see the plug through via a small mirror its a square head & appears to have a hole in it
can someone tell me what size the square head is as 1/4 is too small & 3/8 seems too large?
The one I fought had allen head on it.

I suppose what you could do is remove that plug and put a solid one in and see just how much pressure is being lost.

5/16" is between 1/4" and 3/8".

it is HARD to get to when engine is in car. BUT not impossible. A plug with a square drive seems like it will be tougher to get out / in

That almost looks like a defective plug.

Do you think they will give me warranty at the dealer?

anyway i ground down a 3/8 ratchet & sofar have 1/2 turn on it
woohoo!

LOL probably no warranty on a plug.

Cool. Glad you are makin progress. Keep us posted.

12 point wouldnt fit it? That on a 1/4 drive fine tooth. That or a lead plug and a pry bar.

shiiii, that looked like a male fitting to me! Duh....It looked like someone thought it out like Rusty suggested. Whats the point of that oiling if the valley gets flung and overflows back in there?

Yeah that hole is too big. I bet you just found your problem. It appears that they drilled the hole out WAY bigger than it is and then realized their mistake and bradded a bushing in it and drilled a new hole......still too big.

This is an acceptable mod as long as the hole is small. Generally, it is used when a billet roller cam is installed with a bronze gear. Those gears benefit from extra oil.

I cant understand why someone would do this on a stock engine ?
i suppose to make my life hard ?
I kinda feel like a gynecologist!

Has the engine been stock all its life?

-
Back