Low voltage going to headlight…

-

Ken71Twister

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was measuring voltage at the fuse box today. I’m measuring 12+ volts at most fuses in the fuse box. With headlights switched on - voltage at the fuse for the headlights is around 8V when engine is off and approximately 10V when the engine is running. I didn’t check this voltage before I installed the new headlights - but I did just swap out standard headlights for halogen headlights. I detect no malfunction - but the low voltage concerns me. I recently made extensive efforts to clean contacts throughout the wiring system. Poor connections would, otherwise, be my first place to check.

Am I correct that the voltage at the fuse box should be 12V+ when the lights are on and the engine is running?

Headlights don't go thru the fuse box.

There is a self resetting cir breaker in the headlight switch.

You need to measure voltage with headlights on at every junction from the battery to the headlights.

so where you will find a bad connection

I’ll have to go to the manual to understand what goes thru the fuse where I measured the low voltage. The fuse was dead ‘till I turned on the headlights…then the voltage came up. Lights off and the fuse has no voltage.

Probably was the instrument panel lights that go thru a rheostat and a fuse.

Orange iirc

You are probably right. I’ll check that tomorrow. I have a new headlight switch waiting to be installed when I’m ready to pull the panel out again - my current dash light rheostat is hosed up and is intermittant. If that’s the case - then I probably have nothing to be concerned about vs the low voltage at the fuse box. Thanks!

It's pretty normal. The headlight switch isn't made to handle the load of the headlights. They all get hot as heck with all the resistance they have. You need to get Rob @crackedback's headlight harness and relay kit. It removes the load completely from the headlight switch and the relays carry the load. The switch is used only as a trigger. Rob's kit puts DIRECT alternator voltage to the headlights and makes them a lot brighter. You won't be disappointed. I have it on my car and love it.

Not uncommon for light switch and plug to start melting. Definitely adding a relay kit is the answer and will give you brighter lights just with the upgrade alone. I installed mine under the battery tray so I can easily get to it but keeps it out of sight.

Damn.......$75 Canuck bucks :(
Well I think its waste although clearly others think its great. Whatever works for you.

I think far more useful is to colorize the circuit of interest on the factory diagrams using tracing paper. Then redraw it as a functional diagram. This does more than add color, it helps us learn the circuit. (See June 1968 Master Tech Conference)
With the digital shop manuals, I either print and draw on the paper, or take a screen shot and use MS Paint and IRFAN to colorize and move items around.

You are probably right. I’ll check that tomorrow. I have a new headlight switch waiting to be installed when I’m ready to pull the panel out again - my current dash light rheostat is hosed up and is intermittant. If that’s the case - then I probably have nothing to be concerned about vs the low voltage at the fuse box. Thanks!

Make a few more measurements and you'll know if there is a significant voltage drop in the system before the fuse box.
Only one branch circuit goes to the headlight switch before going back to the fuse box.
That means if you measure anywhere else in the fusebox, the voltage drop has nothing to do with the headlight switch.
This is no knock against adding headlight relay system. A great idea IMO, but not the issue. If the reading is the branch to the instrument lights, its the rheostat and everything is fine. If the reading is anywhere else there is resistance in the main circuits.

Dana is being modest. He's taken apart, IIRC has even fixed, a headlight a headlight switch. I wouldn't replace unless its broken. The failures often are at the connections. But again we're getting off track.

Am I correct that the voltage at the fuse box should be 12V+ when the lights are on and the engine is running?
When the engine is off, voltage on the hot buss should be the same as the battery voltage under the same condition (lights on).
When the engine is running, the voltage at the fuse box should be the same as the alternator. Normally 14 to 14.5 V.
1709904312384.png

Measure voltage at the battery.
Then turn the headlights on.
Notice how far the ammeter swings over to discharge.
That's the amount of electrons flowings from the battery to the lights. It will be about 10 to 12 amps.
Now measure voltage at the battery again. It may be a little lower now.
Measure voltage at the alternator battery connections (big stud).
Measure voltage at the fuse box on each side of the fuse.

Do the same with the engine running. But let the battery recharge first. You'll know its rechargeed when the ammeter needle moves to center.
With the info from both sets of measurements we can tell if there is resistance, and which circuits its in.

Remember this. When there is no current flow, there is no resistance causing voltage to drop.
Think about it. Took me a while for that to sink in, but its really a key to understanding what's going on.

When we turn on the lights (or anything) the voltage should be the same as the power source right up to the item we turned on. Some voltage drop is inevitable, but it should be small. 1/2 Volt might be acceptable. 2 Volts is not.

Last edited:
Well I think its waste although clearly others think its great. Whatever works for you.

I think far more useful is to colorize the circuit of interest on the factory diagrams using tracing paper. Then redraw it as a functional diagram. This does more than add color, it helps us learn the circuit. (See June 1968 Master Tech Conference)
With the digital shop manuals, I either print and draw on the paper or screen shop and use MS Paint and IRFAN to colorize and move items around.

Make a few more measurements and you'll know if there is a significant voltage drop in the system before the fuse box.
Only one branch circuit goes to the headlight switch before going back to the fuse box.
That means if you measure anywhere else in the fusebox, the voltage drop has nothing to do with the headlight switch.
This is no knock against adding headlight relay system. A great idea IMO, but not the issue. If the reading is the branch to the instrument lights, its the rheostat and everything is fine. If the reading is anywhere else there is resistance in the main circuits.

Dana is being modest. He's taken apart, IIRC has even fixed, a headlight a headlight switch. I wouldn't replace unless its broken. The failures often are at the connections. But again we're getting off track.

When the engine is off, voltage on the hot buss should be the same as the battery voltage under the same condition (lights on).
When the engine is running, the voltage at the fuse box should be the same as the alternator. Normally 14 to 14.5 V.
View attachment 1716218173

Measure voltage at the battery.
Then turn the headlights on.
Notice how far the ammeter swings over to discharge.
That's the amount of electrons flowings from the battery to the lights. It will be about 10 to 12 amps.
Now measure voltage at the battery again. It may be a little lower now.
Measure voltage at the alternator battery connections (big stud).
Measure voltage at the fuse box on each side of the fuse.

Do the same with the engine running. But let the battery recharge first. You'll know its rechargeed when the ammeter needle moves to center.
With the info from both sets of measurements we can tell if there is resistance, and which circuits its in.

Remember this. When there is no current flow, there is no resistance causing voltage to drop.
Think about it. Took me a while for that to sink in, but its really a key to understanding what's going on.

When we turn on the lights (or anything) the voltage should be the same as the power source right up to the item we turned on. Some voltage drop is inevitable, but it should be small. 1/2 Volt might be acceptable. 2 Volts is not.
Good info - thanks. Before I retired I was content to patch and fix without really getting to understand the car. Now that I’m retired and the car is almost 53 years old - I have more time and the car has more problems. I’m willing and eager to learn. I certainly appreciate the time and expertise that you folks are willing to share on this website.

I’m willing and eager to learn.
I was like you with just getting by with electrical. When I built my Hardtop,
I drew out all the wiring mods on paper with wire colors and gauge. I bought wire, terminals, solder gun and iron, some good crimper, book on electrical etc. I was dreading it. Once I got started it was enjoyable and rewarding. Who'd a thought.

It's the simple stuff that will get you every time!

Still worth checking out the condition of the headlight switch contacts.

Mine had no issues but I pulled it for some reason and it had melted connectors and terminals.

-
Back