Lower ball joint holes too small for my Kelsey Hayes spindle bolts.

-
Reaction score
I have a Kelsey Hayes disc brake set up. The problem I am having is that I ordered the lower ball joints specifically for this application. However the bolt holes on the ball joints are smaller than the bolts that mount on the spindle/ knuckle. I think the holes are 1/2” and the bolts are 9/16”. Every source that I have checked says that these ball joints are correct. Any help would be appreciated.

you have to drill them to the larger bolt size .That is the only difference between the drum brake ball joint and the disc one.It is the same casting and ball unit which is why you are seeing it listed as fitting both.

I think the ball joint is a 'small' ball joint and the bolt is for a 'large' ball joint. I noticed this when I had to buy new bolts for my conversion from small ball joints to big ball joints. I bought bigger bolts (in your case you'd want smaller bolts) from Dr. Diff. Assuming the holes the same size for the ball joint vs the steering knuckle(?).

DRUM brake ball joints are drilled for 1/2 inch diameter bolts.
DISC brake ball joints are drilled for 9/16 inch diameter bolts.
You got Drum brake ball joints, instead of Disc brake ones.

DRUM brake ball joints are drilled for 1/2 inch diameter bolts.
DISC brake ball joints are drilled for 9/16 inch diameter bolts.
You got Drum brake ball joints, instead of Disc brake ones.
can’t I just have them drill pressed?

Last edited:
Yeah, this isn't a place where you'd want to hand drill a wobbly hole. It needs to be precise. I'd exchange 'em.

-
Back