Lower control arm slop

-

RAVano

Reaction score
My whole entire front end is brand new. There is a noticeable clunk in the front end just as i go into reverse and hit the brakes or put it in forward and hit the brakes. Only does it once each way. The only thing I could think of is there is maybe some play where the torsion bar goes in the control arm. I put the reinforcing plates but failed to clamp the control arm tight when I welded it. Your thoughts on where this click could be coming from? BTW everything was torqued and retorqued

8DEE707C-3BE7-4FE1-B8A4-B73E1921F7CB.jpeg

454520BF-E0E7-43EB-9E0D-C4CED5E44055.jpeg

everything was torqued and retorqued
The question I have is: Did you torque it up in the air with the suspension dangling, or torque it on the ground with the full weight of the vehicle on the suspension?

The question I have is: Did you torque it up in the air with the suspension dangling, or torque it on the ground with the full weight of the vehicle on the suspension?
I did everything in the air. As I assembled it

That's probably part of the problem- everything needs to be assembled loose and then torqued while on the ground with the full car weight on the suspension.

Thanks. I’m heading out in the garage shortly and going to go through it again

I suspect slop in the LCA pivot is the source of the "Mopar clunk", but I have no real evidence on that.

I suspect slop in the LCA pivot is the source of the "Mopar clunk", but I have no real evidence on that.

I’ve done some research on this topic and it always leads me to your videos. I’m going to take it apart, clamp the area and weld a small strap across since I already have the plates on them. See if that helps. Thank you.

I have never been able to get mine quiet again. Pretty much tried everything. Good luck! Yes, I know that something is wrong, but you can only do so much here.

I did everything in the air. As I assembled it

What kind of LCA bushings? If you’ve got poly or Delrin they don’t need to be torqued on the ground.
I’ve done some research on this topic and it always leads me to your videos. I’m going to take it apart, clamp the area and weld a small strap across since I already have the plates on them. See if that helps. Thank you.

You can get rid of the slop with just the strap on the end of the LCA. I did a set of LCA’s like that and added the plate before I removed the slop, then got rid of it with a strap

Just be sure that you add the strap in a spot where it doesn’t limit the useful range of travel for the adjusting lever- so more on the backside of the LCA, not on top.

IMG_1786.jpeg

IMG_1787.jpeg

What kind of LCA bushings? If you’ve got poly or Delrin they don’t need to be torqued on the ground.

You can get rid of the slop with just the strap on the end of the LCA. I did a set of LCA’s like that and added the plate before I removed the slop, then got rid of it with a strap

Just be sure that you add the strap in a spot where it doesn’t limit the useful range of travel for the adjusting lever- so more on the backside of the LCA, not on top

Yes they are Delrin bushings. I did one side last night with the strap just like this. I had to get the car out of the garage for another weekend project so I’ll get to the other side sometime this week.

Yes they are Delrin bushings. I did one side last night with the strap just like this. I had to get the car out of the garage for another weekend project so I’ll get to the other side sometime this week.

Yep, so with Delrin bushings you can tighten them whenever. Tightening at ride height is specific to the factory rubber bushings.

I had great luck with the additional strap, I run tubular LCA's on my Duster now but I add plates and straps to factory LCA's if I do them, just to keep the end of the LCA from spreading apart any under load.

With Poly/Delrin bushings and adjustable strut rod you need to get the adjustment right on the strut rod length to pull the LCA snug against the K-member. Snug but not too tight to cause binding. From memory this was the process...

• Unwind the T-bar adjusters.
  • Disconnect/Remove the shock.
  • Back off the Strut rods adjuster nuts inner and outer
  • break the LBJ loose from the spindle.
  • Push the LCA snug/tight against the K-member at ride height.
  • Move the LCA up and down inch or so and make sure there is no binding or increased resistance.
  • THEN set your strut rod length to that distance with the inner adjuster nut against the K-member
  • Check the LCA movement some more to confirm or make further adjustment.
  • Lock the outer strut rod adjuster nut down.
This what Hotchkis did when they installed a test set on mine 12 years ago.

It made a lot of sense to me. Same concept I used with factory strut rods and shaving down the rear poly strut bushing that is 1/4-5/16” thicker than a stock one.

Last edited:
-
Back